International Travel Destinations

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: International Travel Destinations

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Skye1013 wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:Although I can understand why someone would visit America (however I have no idea why anyone would come to Jersey)

Atlantic City and the Boardwalk spring to mind. Not to mention you can get to PA, NY, most of the rest of New England fairly easily... though none of that qualifies as Mediterranean (at least not the last time I checked.)

Wish I could comment on the original topic, but since my own world travels have been limited, I don't really know what I could add... though Edinburgh in Jan of last year was gorgeous with all the snow.

Ah I completely forgot about the AC. Baltimore's Harbor in the Summer is an amazing place to visit.
Lightbeard

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:56 pm

duruk wrote:Is NZ wine anything like Australian wine? With a bouqet like an aboriginees armpit and a kick like a mule?

Douglas Adams described New Zealand as Norway scrounged up a bit and all the moose shaken out.

We have a lot of well-regarded wines on the international scene.

They are possibly under-appreciated in the US because almost all NZ wines come in screw-cap bottles. There was a cork shortage several years ago during which some intrepid NZ winemakers learned how to produce screw-cap wines that could be aged in the bottle and didn't have to be sulfided to death.

That was a lovely advance in winemaking, but when I last lived in the states, wine was considered crap unless it came with a cork. I don't know if that perception is still the case.

There's a lovely little winery in Nelson named Neudorf that produces a Pinot Noir that I really enjoy. They have a massive oak tree under which there are a few tables overlooking the vineyard. Sitting under that tree drinking wine on a warm summer day is not a bad way to spend an afternoon.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Koatanga wrote:
duruk wrote:Is NZ wine anything like Australian wine? With a bouqet like an aboriginees armpit and a kick like a mule?

Douglas Adams described New Zealand as Norway scrounged up a bit and all the moose shaken out.

They are possibly under-appreciated in the US because almost all NZ wines come in screw-cap bottles. There was a cork shortage several years ago during which some intrepid NZ winemakers learned how to produce screw-cap wines that could be aged in the bottle and didn't have to be sulfided to death.

That was a lovely advance in winemaking, but when I last lived in the states, wine was considered crap unless it came with a cork. I don't know if that perception is still the case.

There's a lovely little winery in Nelson named Neudorf that produces a Pinot Noir that I really enjoy. They have a massive oak tree under which there are a few tables overlooking the vineyard. Sitting under that tree drinking wine on a warm summer day is not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Screw top is fine here, although I tend to look down on (unjustly so, I'm sure) the bottles made of cardboardy plastic. I really can't remember the last time I had to use my corker (errr is that the word?) since the Italian wine we're fanatics about is screw top.

Edit: corkscrew! That's it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Rachmaninoff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Rachmaninoff wrote:when I was 20, me and the fiancée (we've been together for a while) went to burlington, VT in march. we don't ski and we couldn't go to the brewery's cause we were under 21. so we started to drive. ended up in MTL to get pizza and beer. I agree for the most part it was similar to boston and some parts of nyc. but when we asked to get to the hwy or interstate they had no idea what we were talking about. we got searched at the boarder and they found nothing of course. and this was when you only needed a drivers licence to cross the boarder

Okay so, moral of the story, if you're too young to drink in the States, come to Quebec if you're 18, and Ontario if you're 19. :roll:

actually we were bored as hell and had nothing to do. and I only had one beer.
Rachmaninoff

Postby Candiru » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Come the Cambridge, you can go punting on the river and look at the colleges / pubs which make up the city. There are loads of USAF bases in the surrounding area if you can wangle staying at those as well as embassies. Otherwise its only 45mins on the train from London.
Candiru

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Cambridge, where you can go 1. punting and 2. swimming when you fall off the boat because the stick got caught :P

the norfolk broads are also very nice in summer, you can rent a boat and go along the rivers and see wildlife and stuff. It's an hour or two from london (if the trains are running :P )
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby mew » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 pm

If you want to go somewhere that speaks English, then New Zealand is definitely pretty cool.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:25 pm

I dun like dogs, but the dogs on the treadmill (what kind are they?) make me giggle. Every. Time.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Koatanga wrote:

New Zealand certainly produces some top class wines. They are particularly famous for their Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir (fantastic with their famous mussels and lamb, respectively).

Australian wine can be excellent too. The problem is that a lot of it gets sold overseas on the back of brand-based marketing, not quality. If you think Jacob's Creek or Yellowtail are the standard for Antipodean winemaking, then you've been deceived.
rodos

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I dun like dogs, but the dogs on the treadmill (what kind are they?) make me giggle. Every. Time.

They look like either Chihuahuas or Corgis(sp)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:28 am

Argentina gets my vote. You can spend some time in Buenos Aires for culture, good food, history, and architecture (and it's relatively cheap(er)). Then head off to Patagonia/Tierra del Fuego if you want to get away and see some breathtaking scenery.
thatguy

Postby duruk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 am

rodos wrote:
Koatanga wrote:

New Zealand certainly produces some top class wines.

Yeah, but Australian wines are supposed to kick like a mule, and that I guess should be about 40-50% alcohol content, at least. I've yet to find one tho :(
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Njall » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 am

Two of my favorite destinations:

Cappadocia, Turkey - with the troglodyte cities and cave Churches (plus a visit to Istanbul). My wife and I plan to travel the Orient Express at some point. :D

Romantic Rhine. Spent a lot of time along this reach of the Rhine, staying in places like Bacharach (oldest wine-area in Germany) and St. Goar.

Petra. If you can get there.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 pm

duruk wrote:Yeah, but Australian wines are supposed to kick like a mule, and that I guess should be about 40-50% alcohol content, at least. I've yet to find one tho :(

I'm not sure where you got this from. In the early days (read: 19th century), Australia produced mostly fortified wines, because they could survive the trip back to England (things which we used to call Port and Tokay, but are now no longer allowed to by the Europeans). Certain areas of Australia still produce excellent examples of these, but the alcohol percentage is in the 17-25% range. A "wine" at 40-50% abv has to have been distilled and is therefore a brandy.

Australian winemakers may have a tendency to let their fruit get a little riper than some of the old-world makers, pushing up the alcohol content, but only by 1 or 2 percentage points. We do like "big" wines - a robust, well-oaked chardonnay at 14% would not be uncommon - so perhaps this is where the rumor started.
rodos

Postby Arjuna » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 am

mmm...Marlborough...Villa Maria and Cloudy Bay are located there, really awesome winemakers!

I haven't been to Australia yet, so I'm still looking forward to visiting the winerys there! :D
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum