Upgraded my internet and my ping went up!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Upgraded my internet and my ping went up!

Postby unlimit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I know this isn't a tech support forum, but I also know that some of you work for companies like this.

So, I had a 3MBPS connection, and before my upgrade I pinged from 18-24 from Sacramento to San Jose (roughly 100 miles away), whereas now after my upgrade to 10MBPS I ping 50-60!

I did a tracert, and found that where once I had pinged 15 to my initial hub, I ping 42! D:<

There is no packet loss, line static, anything. I run a speed test, and I definitely am getting what I upgraded to, but why am I pinging higher?

Can anyone explain? Or give advice on what I should ask my ISP or steps to fix my problem?
OpenRDX Basic Guides: Forum Topic + Vimeo Channel
unlimit
Maintankadonor

Re: Upgraded my internet and my ping went up!

Postby rodos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:00 pm

What kind of line is it? Is it ADSL? If so, it sounds like interleaving has been turned on. This is a form of error correction often enabled at higher line speeds (since the higher speeds are more error prone).

Some ISPs allow you to turn it off, some don't. I'd get in touch with them and see if they can do something about it.

For the record, I get about 35 ms to the first hop on my ADSL2+ connection (syncing at about 12 Mbps). This is with interleaving turned on (Since the delay that it adds is fairly negligible compared to the 180 ms rtt to Blizzard's servers and 350 ms in-game ping).
rodos

Postby unlimit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 pm

So I went into the statistics area of my router, and this is what I found.

Anyone able to decipher / possibly able to see if rodos hypothesis is correct? S_S

OpenRDX Basic Guides: Forum Topic + Vimeo Channel
unlimit
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 pm

The interesting field is "D (interleaver depth)".
Downstream: 4
Upstream: 8

So yes, you have interleave on. Whether it's more interleaving than you had before is impossible to say.

I believe a lot of ISPs call the non-interleaved mode "fast path". See if they have that option.
rodos

Return to Arkham Asylum