Remove Advertisements

Slot Car Tracks

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Slot Car Tracks

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:18 pm

I have two nephews roughly the same age and want to pick them both up a slot car track set this Christmas. I want them to be good quality and not some cheap $20 set you buy at a Wal-Mart. Does anyone know of a good maker or even any hobby websites where I can see a nice selection?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Re: Slot Car Tracks

Postby Koatanga » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 pm

http://www.afxracing.com/

Used to be the best stuff when I was a lad. They claim to be the best stuff now.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Melathys » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 pm

I'd be impressed if they make them so they don't fly off the track when you have them at full throttle. that always irritated me as a kid.
Melathys

Postby Drexanna » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:16 am

Melathys wrote:I'd be impressed if they make them so they don't fly off the track when you have them at full throttle. that always irritated me as a kid.

That is part of the skill!
Drexanna

Postby knaughty » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:21 am

I had a Scalextric set as a lad, played with it for years.

No idea if they're still any good. We are talking the period when ABBA were first hitting the charts.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Fetzie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:10 am

I had a scalextric set when I was young, it survived being played aggressively by a 6-10 year old and his younger brother for a good few years. The cars were extremely durable (I remember holding them down to make the wheels spin when they started moving, the starting segment actually ended up with a layer of rubber on it where the wheels stood). You could put up these yellow crash rails on the corners to stop the cars flying off at full speed, but that is part of the skill (I could make the cars oversteer coming out of corners which I was very proud of).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Koatanga » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:15 am

Yeah, + 1 on the skill thing. Anyone can hold a controller at max throttle and watch a car go round a track. Skill is slowing just enough for the hard bits but still keeping enough speed to bury your competition.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fetzie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 am

Koatanga wrote:Yeah, + 1 on the skill thing. Anyone can hold a controller at max throttle and watch a car go round a track. Skill is slowing just enough for the hard bits but still keeping enough speed to bury your competition.

and lapping them 10 times because they tried to gain 0.01 seconds on a corner and buried their car under the sofa :lol:
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 am

knaughty wrote:I had a Scalextric set as a lad, played with it for years.

No idea if they're still any good. We are talking the period when ABBA were first hitting the charts.

Good stuff, but way too much for shipping to the states =(
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 am

My cousin is an avid slot car racer even as an adult, and he said that he would reccomend an AFX brand track for kids. Durable, lots of fun, but a little pricey.

http://www.ehobbies.com/more-afx.html

Has AFX sets starting at $57 US, and to ship to me (OH) it calculates it at $11.07 for UPS ground.
Shoju

Postby Melathys » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:35 pm

I'll concede on skill... but c'mon, kids aren't interested in skill, they want speed!

on a side note...anyone remember those cars, they had little wheels on the side to keep them in a track. They were all the rage for about a year, with nation tourneys and everything. And there was a commercial with one of them racing a porsche (i think). I can't remember the name of them for the life of me.
Melathys

Postby ck5uperman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:46 pm

When I was younger I slot car raced. I have some decent slot cars as well. Also, I did a science project that compared different bodies on the same engine to test speeds and aerodynamics. If interested I can pull the cars out of the attic and let you know what I have. Shoot me an email at joshua.bogaty@gmail.com.
ck5uperman

Return to Arkham Asylum