Remove Advertisements

$10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:56 am

Fivelives wrote:Bridgeville, CA (260 miles to San Francisco). Waukonda, WA (130ish miles to Spokane, WA). Matlock, WA (80ish miles to Olympia, WA). Albert, TX (middle of the bunghole of hell).


No medical centers near any of those areas? Not just a hospital but like any sort of place where someone of proper training might know the proper treatment for a stab wound
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Fivelives » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:11 am

Those are all towns in the middle of nowhere that are little more than a combination general store/gas station/post office/petting zoo. There are less extreme examples, like Forest Falls, CA - 4 miles away from Big Bear... if you don't mind climbing or driving up a few sheer cliff faces to get there. Otherwise, you go 40 miles into Redlands, CA.

There's also Amboy, CA. We used to drive through there every summer, cutting through as a shortcut to get to Lake Mohave. Population: 8.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Fivelives wrote:Those are all towns in the middle of nowhere that are little more than a combination general store/gas station/post office/petting zoo. There are less extreme examples, like Forest Falls, CA - 4 miles away from Big Bear... if you don't mind climbing or driving up a few sheer cliff faces to get there. Otherwise, you go 40 miles into Redlands, CA.

There's also Amboy, CA. We used to drive through there every summer, cutting through as a shortcut to get to Lake Mohave. Population: 8.


Population 8? I must visit this place.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Amirya » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:45 pm

I still don't understand why people continue to use the "I don't wanna get blown up midair!" excuse for this.

I don't want to die by a drunk driver, but I don't see the government setting up Breathalyzer stations at every freeway on ramp, and at every intersection.

I feel more safe with the metal detector and guard dogs than I do driving on Baseline. In my entire life, I've never had issues with any plane I have been on, but I have been in a car accident.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Fivelives » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Careful there, Amirya - I'd hate to give the TSA any ideas! After the fallout from the "don't touch my junk" episode, I have a feeling they'll be scaling back at airports, and will have to find some other way of justifying their existence (and budget).
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:24 pm

theckhd wrote:
Adryl wrote:Hell you could construct a gun out of wood and rubber bands, buy thick cuff links, hollow them out and put rounds in them. There are thousands of possibilities.


That sounds like the most pathetic hijack attempt ever. How much acceleration do you think a rubber band is really capable of?


I've watched people construct a make shift pistol out of wood and rubber bands. It's about simulating the strike of the hammer with the rubber band and something hard enough (wood wasn't used I forget what specifically) to hit the bullet to ignite it.
Image
User avatar
Adryl
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am
Location: Not getting any work done

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Adryl wrote:Pat me down I don't fucking care. Yeah so what if someone gropes my junk. As long as my ass isn't getting blown the fuck up in air I'm all for it. Though I do feel bad for women since most TSA I've seen are male and who knows how many are perverts. Women unfortunately have more things to grope. But lets look at the other side of the fence. Think of how many of those TSA's that get bitched at daily. My job is bad enough but geez.


You are making the fallacious assumption that groping prevents airplane explosions, which holds no water. You're giving up your right to privacy for the illusion of enhanced security.

I'm pretty much against giving up rights in all forms, and I have not been blown up even once.


I'm not saying it prevents it and if that is what it seemed I implied such I do apologize. I'm simply saying that I'm okay with heightened security. Yes the "groping" is a bit much. But I would rather have enhanced security than no security or half-ass security. Yeah I have not seen proof that the extra measure Airlines have taken has proven effective, but this is like saying "Fuck house insurance, nothing has happened yet so why bother?"
Image
User avatar
Adryl
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am
Location: Not getting any work done

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Adryl wrote:
Koatanga wrote:
Adryl wrote:Pat me down I don't fucking care. Yeah so what if someone gropes my junk. As long as my ass isn't getting blown the fuck up in air I'm all for it. Though I do feel bad for women since most TSA I've seen are male and who knows how many are perverts. Women unfortunately have more things to grope. But lets look at the other side of the fence. Think of how many of those TSA's that get bitched at daily. My job is bad enough but geez.


You are making the fallacious assumption that groping prevents airplane explosions, which holds no water. You're giving up your right to privacy for the illusion of enhanced security.

I'm pretty much against giving up rights in all forms, and I have not been blown up even once.


I'm not saying it prevents it and if that is what it seemed I implied such I do apologize. I'm simply saying that I'm okay with heightened security. Yes the "groping" is a bit much. But I would rather have enhanced security than no security or half-ass security. Yeah I have not seen proof that the extra measure Airlines have taken has proven effective, but this is like saying "Fuck house insurance, nothing has happened yet so why bother?"

Well I think we are looking for a better system, there are examples around the globe that we ought to be learning from.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Well I think we are looking for a better system, there are examples around the globe that we ought to be learning from.


and I agree with this.
Image
User avatar
Adryl
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am
Location: Not getting any work done

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby theckhd » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Fivelives wrote:
theckhd wrote:
Adryl wrote:Hell you could construct a gun out of wood and rubber bands, buy thick cuff links, hollow them out and put rounds in them. There are thousands of possibilities.


That sounds like the most pathetic hijack attempt ever. How much acceleration do you think a rubber band is really capable of?


You can make a one or two shot derringer type pistol out of wood or cast ceramic. John Dillinger made one and used it to escape from prison in 1934.

Thing is this, though: how would you get the rounds past the sniffer dogs? They can detect and alert to gunpowder. So even if you were to bring a wooden gun and try to get it through the checkpoint, you wouldn't be able to sneak by with ammunition for it.

But that still requires gunpowder. I have trouble believing that anyone short of MacGuyver would be able to build a functioning projectile weapon that was even remotely dangerous using a rubber band as the propulsion mechanism.

I suppose you could put the pilot's eye out, if the cabin weren't locked... :roll:
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Sneak one of these onto a plane up your ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi4g_U0hoOg

It'll have everyone trembling in fear.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Jabari » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Is strip-searching and grabbing the crotch of 5-year-old boys really making us safer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkCpnCm7iM

It won't be too long until a parent goes "Mortal Kombat" on a TSA goon. Amazed it hasn't happened yet.

Actually, there were a lot of people RIGHT THERE witnessing that horror, and nobody did or even said anything.

Our country is doomed.

ETA: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40291856/ns/travel-news
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 am

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Jabari wrote:Is strip-searching and grabbing the crotch of 5-year-old boys really making us safer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkCpnCm7iM

It won't be too long until a parent goes "Mortal Kombat" on a TSA goon. Amazed it hasn't happened yet.

Actually, there were a lot of people RIGHT THERE witnessing that horror, and nobody did or even said anything.


Punching a government agent might not be the best idea.

Edit: I will say after watching the video it was over in all of about 10 seconds and the parent was right there next to him. Most people make it seem like they sit there fondling your junk for a good 5+ minutes.

Edit 2: I'm getting a decent laugh out of the comments at least, so many conspiracy theorists spouting a bunch of theories. Then again it is youtube.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Koatanga » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Adryl wrote:I'm not saying it prevents it and if that is what it seemed I implied such I do apologize. I'm simply saying that I'm okay with heightened security. Yes the "groping" is a bit much. But I would rather have enhanced security than no security or half-ass security. Yeah I have not seen proof that the extra measure Airlines have taken has proven effective, but this is like saying "Fuck house insurance, nothing has happened yet so why bother?"


Where do you draw the line, though? At some point logic must prevail. Personally I would draw it such that loaded handguns would be a no, but toenail clippers would be OK. Why? Because I see no reasonable way that toenail clippers would endanger the flight more than the plastic knife served with the in-flight meal.

As many have pointed out here, locking the cockpit door does heaps more to protect passengers than harrassing them at the gate.

It's not like house insurance - it's like taking out insurance againt damage caused to your house by hummingbirds.

Remove the security-theatre screening process, and use the money on some beagles. They'll do a hell of a lot better job than scanners will, and they won't make it public whether Lady Gaga is a chick or a dude, for any price.

The Lady gaga thing is a bit facetious, but I know a man who has been battling prostate cancer who has lost a fair portion of his private anatomy. I don't think he should be required to display that to strangers in order to board a flight.

The bottom line is that you give up your freedom. Isn't that the goal of the terrorists? Isn't that just giving up?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: $10,000+ fine for deciding not to fly after all?

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Adryl wrote:I'm not saying it prevents it and if that is what it seemed I implied such I do apologize. I'm simply saying that I'm okay with heightened security. Yes the "groping" is a bit much. But I would rather have enhanced security than no security or half-ass security. Yeah I have not seen proof that the extra measure Airlines have taken has proven effective, but this is like saying "Fuck house insurance, nothing has happened yet so why bother?"


Where do you draw the line, though? At some point logic must prevail. Personally I would draw it such that loaded handguns would be a no, but toenail clippers would be OK. Why? Because I see no reasonable way that toenail clippers would endanger the flight more than the plastic knife served with the in-flight meal.

As many have pointed out here, locking the cockpit door does heaps more to protect passengers than harrassing them at the gate.

It's not like house insurance - it's like taking out insurance againt damage caused to your house by hummingbirds.

Remove the security-theatre screening process, and use the money on some beagles. They'll do a hell of a lot better job than scanners will, and they won't make it public whether Lady Gaga is a chick or a dude, for any price.

The Lady gaga thing is a bit facetious, but I know a man who has been battling prostate cancer who has lost a fair portion of his private anatomy. I don't think he should be required to display that to strangers in order to board a flight.

The bottom line is that you give up your freedom. Isn't that the goal of the terrorists? Isn't that just giving up?


I haven't been to an airport for a while but aren't dogs still widely used along with the other measures?
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest