Remove Advertisements

All things Final Fantasy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Passionario » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 am

Eaglestrike wrote:I still can't understand people enjoying FFX.


Auron. Just... Auron.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
User avatar
Passionario
 
Posts: 3349
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 am

Passionario wrote:
Eaglestrike wrote:I still can't understand people enjoying FFX.


Auron. Just... Auron.

He was pretty yum.

And I'm a sucker for Rikku. She was so damn cute.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11000
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Gracerath » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 am

I think I've spent more time in FF6 than in any other console game ever. I was still fairly new to RPG's in general when I first played it and when I got to the floating continent, I was severely below the level one should be to beat that area. I did what any self respecting console RPG player would have done. I hung out near a save point and did a massive amount of grinding and gained way more levels than I needed. Terra actually learned the very final fire spell on her own without the need of espers. Once I hit that point, I was able to rock that continent so hard.

I think my favorite thing about FF6 is that there really isn't a main character. I mean sure, it's mostly Terra but almost every character has their chance to shine and do something important and be in the spotlight. The game also elicited a lot of emotional response from me like no other game has. When Kefka poisons Cyan's family and his subsequent goodbye to them on the phantom train. Terra protecting all those children from Punbaba. General Leo's death. Shadow's dreams when you sleep in a certain inn. Locke's lost love. So many great things.

Oddly enough, the characters I hated the most were Strago and Relm. When I beat the game, my core people were all level 99. Strago and Relm were still around level 30. The few places where I had to use them were a pain :P
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Brand » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 am

Sabindeus wrote:I solve this problem by not trying to defend it. FF4 is an amazing awesomeness made of win, and Zeromus came out of nowhere, but he has awesome music and is thus fine in my book.


It's true. Every time I play IV, I block out the fact that in the end I'll be fighting what amounts to a lunar bogeyman that's been "behind it the whole time, HAHA!"

Brutalicus wrote:Goddammit Brand. You just HAD to throw a TVTropes link in there, didn't you. Why do people always do that when I have shit to do?


Sorry about that. I need to remember that with great power comes great responsibility, and that it must not be abused.

Eaglestrike wrote:Yuna shouldn't have gone "Oh, so me defeating Sin is only a temp arrangement? Oh well, I'll still sacrifice my life and the lives of my lover." she should have gone "I'm going to break this cycle and find the way to TRULY defeat Sin!". But they had to leave that to Tidus' goal. Yuna was supposed to be the daughter of a "hero", well-respected, intelligent, etc. but she was disappointing.


I think this makes sense given (ugh) FFX-2. It's obvious that going through the whole ordeal, out of everyone, Yuna NEEDS Tidus more than any of her other guardians because he is her strength. She has the will to carry out what she needs to, because she was raised that way, but for her to actually take hold of her life she needs Tidus as she begins to actually break out of her shell a bit more once the sparks fly between the two. This is readily apparent in X-2 where she's taken on more of his characteristics, and yet still searches for him because of how much she needs him.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
User avatar
Brand
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Eaglestrike » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Passionario wrote:
Eaglestrike wrote:I still can't understand people enjoying FFX.


Auron. Just... Auron.


Auron was the shining light of that game. He's the only reason I ever managed to stick with it long enough to beat it.
Eaglestrike
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Eaglestrike wrote:For whatever reason, FFVII looks worse graphically than the 2D predecessors, just because of how things get evaluated. But when it came out, VII was fucking beautiful and cutting edge.


No it wasn't. :|
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10470
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Adryl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:37 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Eaglestrike wrote:For whatever reason, FFVII looks worse graphically than the 2D predecessors, just because of how things get evaluated. But when it came out, VII was fucking beautiful and cutting edge.


No it wasn't. :|


I disagree Sabindeus. Yes the jump to 3d is 'better' graphically then 2d but as far as how smooth it looks, FF VI (just using the one below VII)plays and looks smoother than VII. Yes non-pre-rendered 3d was still in its early stages but VI looks better than 7 imo.
Image
User avatar
Adryl
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am
Location: Not getting any work done

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby fudomyou » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Auron was the shining light of that game. He's the only reason I ever managed to stick with it long enough to beat it.


I still really liked the Tidus-Jecht interaction, even from a distance. And Auron's side quest memory orbs really hit home, with Jecht slowly admitting that he was a bad father.
User avatar
fudomyou
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Gracerath » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:00 am

Am I the only person that enjoyed Blitzball? Once we learned how to pull off some of the specials and build a team, it was a rather fun distraction.
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:07 am

Adryl wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Eaglestrike wrote:For whatever reason, FFVII looks worse graphically than the 2D predecessors, just because of how things get evaluated. But when it came out, VII was fucking beautiful and cutting edge.


No it wasn't. :|


I disagree Sabindeus. Yes the jump to 3d is 'better' graphically then 2d but as far as how smooth it looks, FF VI (just using the one below VII)plays and looks smoother than VII. Yes non-pre-rendered 3d was still in its early stages but VI looks better than 7 imo.


um... from what you said it sounds like you actually agree with me then.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10470
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:10 am

Blitzball was a pretty fun side-game, yeah. I went about getting all the best players on one play-through of FFX (may or may not have been the one where I completed the full game).

(If I remember rightly, Wakka was actually pretty terrible.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Adryl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:20 am

Sabindeus wrote:um... from what you said it sounds like you actually agree with me then.


I meant graphically better in the sense of technologically better. Aesthetically better? no. and as I said at the end of my post:
Adryl wrote: but VI looks better than 7 imo.
Image
User avatar
Adryl
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am
Location: Not getting any work done

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Eltiana » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:57 am

FF1: Classic. Enjoyed it immensely. Sure your characters were basically nameless drones, but for its time I don't think you could get much better than this. Loved the twist ending also on who the final boss was

FF2: Ugh. I'll give it credit in that the final boss didn't come out of nowhere, but overall, disliked the gameplay immensely and it rather ruined the game for me.

FF4. My first 2 bit FF, it certainly had plenty of flaws, but the story was relatively solid till the end, and the characters were mostly enjoyable. Gameplay was decent though the lack of custom-ability compared to practically all the other FFs was a downer.

FF5. Gameplay was rock solid. Love the job class system. Too bad I hated all the characters, and the final boss/antagonist of the story was as one dimensional as you can get. Gilgamesh was bad ass though.

FF6. I never completed which I feel really bad about. From what I have played, I really enjoyed it though, gameplay was good, characters were for the most part all interesting. an awesome antagonist, and an interesting story

FF7: Graphics were horrible. Disliked the materia system. Sephiroth was a pansy. Story was full of holes. People give crap to FF10 for having a sequel, but it holds up fine on its own, while FF7 is still spewing up sequels to try to fix the original story up. I enjoyed it at the time, but I really don't see why so many people like this.

FF8: Draw system was HORRIBLE. Hated it. Looking back, none of the characters were all that likable either. It was my first FF though(Yeah I know lol), so it holds a bit of nostalgia for me.

FF9: Honestly I think this game gets way more shit than it deserves. I think it had relatively solid gameplay, decent characters, and a good story. Yes I loathed the character designs, but really, for me, that was the only real downer of 9

FF10: I never completed it, though I watched my sister finish it. I personally didn't like the gameplay system and I really didn't care for Tidus as a main character. Story wasn't horrible though and I think it was a nice change to have a rather sad ending.

FF10-2 I try to pretend this doesn't exist.

FFTactics: <3. Probably one of my favorite games.

Stopped playing after 10 really, thought the series was going in a downward spiral, and from what I've heard of 12 and 13, I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that.
User avatar
Eltiana
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 am

Adryl wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:um... from what you said it sounds like you actually agree with me then.


I meant graphically better in the sense of technologically better. Aesthetically better? no. and as I said at the end of my post:
Adryl wrote: but VI looks better than 7 imo.


Ok attempting to clarify here:

The guy I quoted said VII looked good when it came out

I said it didn't

You then said that VI looked better than VII, which is logically consistant with me saying VII looked like a pile of shit.

Pretty sure we're in agreement.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10470
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby abinning » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:49 pm

I love being able to play FF 7 & 8 on my Android phone during down time =P
abinning
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest