Remove Advertisements

Final Fantasy XIV Online

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Final Fantasy XIV Online

Postby Invisusira » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:16 am

So. I remember in some thread somewhere people were talking about how they were excited about this. Damned if I can find it.

Apparently it's out now? Who all tried it out? Does it suck as hard as all the reviews say it does? Not that I'm planning on playing it, god forbid they release software that runs on a Mac, just curious.
Invisusira

Re: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Postby Vanifae » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 am

It's gorgeous and terrible at the same time, so bad they gave everyone an extra 30 days to play for free.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Brand » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 am

I played FFXI and almost gave XIV a try when a buddy of mine (who left WoW to play it) stopped me. He said it was visually impressive, but that the game itself is just broke and nigh unplayable atm. Lag is a problem all over it seems, the current economy is based off of the players crafting ability right now (which in itself involves a "mini-game" with unpredictable results) not to mention the "retainer" system they have is cumbersome and time draining, and aside from that there's really not much to do outside of grinding. That is, until you hit your experience cap for the week.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
Brand

Postby Tybran » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:21 am

It's pretty,

but the GUI and controls blow hard.
Tybran

Postby mew » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:11 am

I was really excited to play this when I came to visit Vanifae on Friday. But I ended up playing for two hours and was all, "eh... fuck this game"

It doesn't have anything that leaves you wanting to come back for more :( The questing is really dull and pointless-feeling. The teleportation system is nice, when you finish a quest you can teleport back to town to turn it in, but apparently this is limited (I didn't reach the cap though). However, you can only have one quest active at a time and you don't fight anything cool at the beginning (at least, I didn't get too far). I had finally advanced to fighting moles after a couple hours up of fighting mushrooms and squirrels. The questing goes like this, activate quest, run to area, kill monsters, teleport back, turn in quest, activate new quest, run back to the same area to kill similar monsters, etc.

And another major flaw Vanifae was telling me about (I had him to direct me) was that the game never really explains most things to you as far as what you are supposed to do and how you play. At one point I had turned off my combat and didn't know what I did or why I couldn't hit the mushroom, apparently I had accidentally activated something that made it to where I couldn't attack.

Edit: But it is really pretty and the combat is actually really fun (except when you are having targeting issues).
ImageImage
mew

Postby Orthien » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Its amazingly beautiful but the game play was complete crap and the controls suck unless you are using a controller. It really is a console MMO that they tacked onto the PC.
To put it in perspective I am a huge FF fan and have played every game that's come out not on a Nintendo console, I played this for a day and have not gone back to it. Warhammer I at least finished my trial on before I gave up on it, I even went back to a WAR trial again recently but unless there are some huge changes I doubt I will go back to FFXIV.
I get the linear story thing they were going for but that really does not work in an MMO, its painful just to do one quest after the other for the first day of playing.

I really want to know what exactly they studied in other MMO's because I don't see any of what makes them great in this game.
FFXIV really is the final nail in the coffin of me playing most SE games again, I'm not even sure I will pick up FFXV whenever that comes out.

Very disappointed.
Orthien

Postby mew » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Orthien wrote:Its amazingly beautiful but the game play was complete crap and the controls suck unless you are using a controller. It really is a console MMO that they tacked onto the PC.

I really want to know what exactly they studied in other MMO's because I don't see any of what makes them great in this game.

Vanifae said that about the control scheme too. Maybe I just haven't played enough console games but it didn't feel too much like that for me. I actually preferred it with the keyboard (I seem to always prefer keyboard+mouse controls though). They really really need some sort of a tab targeting system.

I have heard that they really didn't study other games much... D:
ImageImage
mew

Postby Lieris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Watch this review: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos# ... 793F6CB99F

FF14 is so bad the jokes write themselves.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:13 pm

mew wrote:I have heard that they really didn't study other games much... D:

I think the director said in an interview that he has never played WoW.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby thanatos1288 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Lieris wrote:
mew wrote:I have heard that they really didn't study other games much... D:

I think the director said in an interview that he has never played WoW.

They didn't even learn from FFXI, If anything they have regressed in development compared to their own games. They took OUT the AH, which FFXI had, for a player shop market, which is terrible. Also they put limits on everything you can do. Number of quests, teleports, experience. Crafting is also completely arcane and has no guide to help you, but is needed to make all your gear.
"All human beings must adhere to the greatest and all-encompassing law of the universe...Murphy's Law."
thanatos1288

Postby Eaglestrike » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:36 pm

SE can't make MMO's, it seems fairly clear. Though I hear current FFXI is fairly fun. I'm still loving their console games, FF12/13 have shown great innovation and advancement and so I'll keep picking up their console games. They shouldn't be in the MMO market except maybe to suck more of the lifeforce out of their die hard fanboys.
Eaglestrike

Postby Teranoid » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:24 pm

I actually had a customer stop in tonight that wanted to know if he could get a refund because the game was that bad. I had sold it to him and he asked me what I thought because I had mentioned I was in the closed/open betas and he basically acted like since I play WoW my opinion of everything else mmo didn't matter. After he argued with me about why he couldn't get his money back I reminded him of that and he basically just left it sit on the counter and stormed out.

This game is terrible. SE really needs to stop making games because after Linear Fantasy XIII and this I'm pretty sure I won't bother buying anything else they put out.
Teranoid

Postby Orthien » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm

SE really needs to stop making games because after Linear Fantasy XIII and this I'm pretty sure I won't bother buying anything else they put out.

This is the worst part.
The company that gave us my almost all my favorite RPG's of all time is killing my love of RPG's now. I do have to give some leeway to SE though, it seems that as graphics have improved RPG have declined not just the ones SE makes. You would never get and epic like FFVII, FFVIII, Terranigma, Star Ocean 2, CronoTrigger etc made in todays day and age. The story and immersion are dead.
FFXIV's problem is that its trying to take that story and immersion that is already dieing in the console RPG's and shoe horn it into an MMO which It has little right being in, in the first place.
Orthien

Postby Eaglestrike » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Teranoid wrote:I actually had a customer stop in tonight that wanted to know if he could get a refund because the game was that bad. I had sold it to him and he asked me what I thought because I had mentioned I was in the closed/open betas and he basically acted like since I play WoW my opinion of everything else mmo didn't matter. After he argued with me about why he couldn't get his money back I reminded him of that and he basically just left it sit on the counter and stormed out.

This game is terrible. SE really needs to stop making games because after Linear Fantasy XIII and this I'm pretty sure I won't bother buying anything else they put out.

I don't understand the issue with a linear FF game like XIII. Every FF game has been linear. Just because you had some open world you COULD explore, there was NO REASON to do so except a handful of cases. So SE was just cutting out something unnecessary to tell a more realistic story.

I mean, an open world doesn't make sense in a lot of the more recent FF storylines. You're often a rebellious group being hunted by some big organization/evil group, you shouldn't exactly have free access to anywhere in the world. Just going by FF7, highly regarded as "the best FF" by many, easily the most popular, etc. was that not very linear? There was only one direction to progress the story, there were essentially two sidequests aside from the main quest (Wukai and then Chocobos? I guess Gold Saucer too) and you were often limited in where you could go based on what vehicle you had access to at the time.

Do you people really like to get lost in a cave and fight random battles for an extra 15min attempting to find one little chest THAT much?

Because aside from the linear aspect FFXIII has an amazing combat system, great visuals, a solid story (not omg amazing, but solid), good consistency and essentially took out the need for luck to acquire everything in the game. Skill actually matters, and you use a variety of abilities. I beat almost all prior FF games (prior to XII that is) using the normal attack with cures and did fine. I need to make actual strategy and take a few tries to kill things in XIII, that's an excellent change from the normal.

Edit: I think you people are blaming the lack of immersion on games getting "worse" when in actuality the majority of it is you growing up.
Eaglestrike

Postby Teranoid » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Eaglestrike wrote:Do you people really like to get lost in a cave and fight random battles for an extra 15min attempting to find one little chest THAT much?

Its a hell of a lot more entertaining than "durh lemme run to the arrow and avoid all the mobs so i can watch another cutscene!"

Because aside from the linear aspect FFXIII has an amazing combat system, great visuals, a solid story (not omg amazing, but solid), good consistency and essentially took out the need for luck to acquire everything in the game. Skill actually matters, and you use a variety of abilities. I beat almost all prior FF games (prior to XII that is) using the normal attack with cures and did fine. I need to make actual strategy and take a few tries to kill things in XIII, that's an excellent change from the normal.

You're totally right. A combat system which only lets you control the main character's actions and leaves the AI to decide whether or not to heal you when you are at 5 health against a boss that can 2 shot you and decides rather to cast a useless ice spell despite the turn before it realizing it has a fire vulnerability is amazing. I'm sorry but shifting paradigms every other turn to avoid getting steamrolled is not fun.

Edit: I think you people are blaming the lack of immersion on games getting "worse" when in actuality the majority of it is you growing up.

Part of it may be the fact of nostalgia. But part of it is also the fact that every "rpg" that SE puts out these days are games with nonexistant replay value and are more an interactive movie than a video game.
Teranoid

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum