WoW friends on Facebook

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

What percentage of your friends on Facebook are people you know from WoW?

Zero - I don't like to mix the game with my real life.
10
11%
Less than 10% - There are very few people I want to share my real identity with.
28
31%
10-29% - I have some WoW friends listed, but Facebook is mainly made up with my RL friends and family.
23
25%
30-49% - The game is close to making up the bulk of my friends but I try and maintain a healthy balance.
3
3%
50-79% - I occasionally leave the basement to meet real people, but not very often.
5
5%
80-100% - The game is my life!
0
No votes
I have over a thousand friends, you really expect me to count them all?!
0
No votes
CBH
12
13%
What's Facebook? Oh, you mean that trendy thing I am the last person on the planet avoiding?
10
11%
 
Total votes : 91

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Vanifae » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:45 am

Nikachelle wrote:I never understood this why have shame for something you enjoy that does not hurt anyone?

Same here. And in fact, I love proving to people that I AM a nerdy gamer. As if to say "hah, not every gamer is a basement dwelling sociopath with no social skills."[/quote]
Yeah I have to agree with you on that one.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby cerwillis » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:45 am

Amshel wrote:I am a closet nerd and don't like to admit to playing wow. 0%!

I think I have 3-4 guildies in my FB friends, and they are all people that I have known IRL before, or in one case, someone that I met in game and since have met IRL. We don't discuss wow on FB.

I'm a part time musician, and I like to keep those nerds separate from the wow nerds I know. The girls tend to respond to the music more, so it wins the FB decision.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
User avatar
cerwillis
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:00 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Amshel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:49 am

I'll talk about it to people who are interested, but that's like someone coming up to me and talking about some gore/surgery/bloodandguts movie they saw, because they love that stuff. I have no interest in that and it makes me sick. I'm not going to babble about this scary pack of hyenas that chased me through the desolate wastelands called Desolace!! to someone who doesn't care.

I'm just selective about the people who know I play.
User avatar
Amshel
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Vanifae » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 am

Amshel wrote:I'll talk about it to people who are interested, but that's like someone coming up to me and talking about some gore/surgery/bloodandguts movie they saw, because they love that stuff. I have no interest in that and it makes me sick. I'm not going to babble about this scary pack of hyenas that chased me through the desolate wastelands called Desolace!! to someone who doesn't care.

I'm just selective about the people who know I play.

Totally acceptable it was the sentiment not you personally that I was at fault with.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Amshel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 am

Vanifae wrote:
Amshel wrote:I'll talk about it to people who are interested, but that's like someone coming up to me and talking about some gore/surgery/bloodandguts movie they saw, because they love that stuff. I have no interest in that and it makes me sick. I'm not going to babble about this scary pack of hyenas that chased me through the desolate wastelands called Desolace!! to someone who doesn't care.

I'm just selective about the people who know I play.

Totally acceptable it was the sentiment not you personally that I was at fault with.

I like to think everything is about me. It's okay.
User avatar
Amshel
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:36 am

Nikachelle wrote:Same here. And in fact, I love proving to people that I AM a nerdy gamer. As if to say "hah, not every gamer is a basement dwelling sociopath with no social skills."

You say that like it's a bad thing. It's not my fault that I like pointy things. Pointy... Pointy... Pointy...
Image
The Seeker.
User avatar
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am
Location: Malorne

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Dorvan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:57 am

I was going to hit zero...but then I realized that there is one single person who I have friended on Facebook after first knowing them on WoW. Definitely the rare exception rather than the rule...I'm perfectly happy with a split between my real life and online gaming social networks.
Image

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Invisusira » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:08 pm

The only reason I even joined FB was because some of my guildies wanted me to. (See also: myspace.) Over the years, a few of my RL friends have stumbled across my page, but it remains largely just people from WoW.
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 5848
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby mew » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:18 pm

(This isn't directed at anyone, it was just something I was reminded about when reading the thread)
I have trouble understanding why people like to keep such huge separations between various aspects of their social lives (and most people seem to do this). I understand the importance of separation of work and personal things, and I know I tend to be the weird one for being so open about things with everyone, but I don't see what the big importance is about hiding who you are from one social situation to the next.

I guess the most similar thing I have had is family life versus my nerd social life. I used to keep them separate because it was just easier that way, but then I stopped being so secretive about it and stopped hiding what my real hobbies are. If a relative asked me "How are you? What have you been up to?", instead of staying the usual "I'm good, same old stuff" I would be like "I'm really excited about this new costume I have been working on." Of course there are still some members of my family that I have to keep things secret from, but you know who you can tell things to and who you can't ("What? Why aren't you spending that time studying?!"), and for the most part I feel like family should be the people you can be yourself with.

I understand if people just, for whatever reason, don't want to mix the two social lives. But I guess what I don't understand is why so many people do it.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Dorvan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:13 pm

It's no so much about hiding things, I just don't see any online gaming I do (which is very little these days anyway) and relevant to my other social activities. I am myself around my friends...I simply don't considering my online gaming to be who I am, it's just something I do now and again with free time. If it was a bigger part of my identity, I could see how it'd see strange to keep those realms separate.

On the other hand, on a more pragmatic note, for many careers having a reputation as an avid online gamer can be a liability. I'm not saying that's fair, but it's often true (fortunately, not an issue in my job though).
Image

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5668
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby lythac » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm

96 Friends on Facebook,
~20 Who play WoW,
15 Met through WoW (all from guild),
7 Met through WoW and since met IRL.

I am happy to talk about WoW on Facebook. Most of my Facebook is made up of drunk pictures of me and my friends as that's the only time people think to take photos. A lot of the comments made on WoW don't register with people who don't play.

Am in the Maintankadin Facebook group.

My old forum avatar makes up 2/6 of my profile pics.

Image
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:25 pm

mew wrote:(This isn't directed at anyone, it was just something I was reminded about when reading the thread)
I have trouble understanding why people like to keep such huge separations between various aspects of their social lives (and most people seem to do this). I understand the importance of separation of work and personal things, and I know I tend to be the weird one for being so open about things with everyone, but I don't see what the big importance is about hiding who you are from one social situation to the next.

I guess the most similar thing I have had is family life versus my nerd social life. I used to keep them separate because it was just easier that way, but then I stopped being so secretive about it and stopped hiding what my real hobbies are. If a relative asked me "How are you? What have you been up to?", instead of staying the usual "I'm good, same old stuff" I would be like "I'm really excited about this new costume I have been working on." Of course there are still some members of my family that I have to keep things secret from, but you know who you can tell things to and who you can't ("What? Why aren't you spending that time studying?!"), and for the most part I feel like family should be the people you can be yourself with.

I understand if people just, for whatever reason, don't want to mix the two social lives. But I guess what I don't understand is why so many people do it.


The only person I've ever known IRL that played WOW was a senior (I was a freshman) in a French class. It was pretty funny the first time we talked I saw him looking up WOW and asked if he played. He wasn't level 80 yet and was shocked to find out (whe he armoried) my DK had a 2200 Arena Rating and kept asking me for tips. This guy wasn't the traditional basement nerd either.

Besides him nobody IRL(i.e schoolmates and friends) knew I played WOW.

I tend to keep the fact that I am a wrestling fan private as well discussing it only with a few friends. Although everyone will know in the next few coming months.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 4602
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Fivelives » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I categorically refuse to participate in any online "social" networking. Instant messengers are bad enough, and I barely use those as is. It's also ridiculous that more people text than call each other on their phones.

But it was hilarious when I realized that I was spending more time using MSN messenger to communicate with my girlfriend while we were living together than time I spent talking to her face to face. That was the sign that it was time to end it.

So no, I don't have any facebook friends, let alone ones that come from WoW.

I also don't tend to talk about it at work. I'll occasionally chat with one of our pilots that also plays about it, but only during times when I'm on standby or after dropping a patient off somewhere while the paperwork is being done and the helicopter is being cleaned.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Fivelives wrote:I categorically refuse to participate in any online "social" networking. Instant messengers are bad enough, and I barely use those as is. It's also ridiculous that more people text than call each other on their phones.


This calls for a "back in my day".
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 4602
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Vanifae » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Lightbeard wrote:
Fivelives wrote:I categorically refuse to participate in any online "social" networking. Instant messengers are bad enough, and I barely use those as is. It's also ridiculous that more people text than call each other on their phones.


This calls for a "back in my day".

I concur.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby mew » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:18 pm

The thing I have found facebook most useful for that you can't really do otherwise (unlike how you could just call someone instead of posting on their facebook wall) is finding old friends. Since you can search by name and just about everyone has facebook, you can look up people that you have lost contact with and are interested in reconnecting and talking to again.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Eaglestrike » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:52 pm

I have about 60ish facebook friends (I took off all the people I "know" that I don't like/consider a friend a while back) and only about 10% of the people there are from WoW. But of the people I talk to on there it's mostly people from WoW, or a couple friends from FFXI. For instance a mere two people wished me happy birthday last year(on Facebook), both WoW buddies. Hmm, that probably makes me sound like a loser, oh well.
Eaglestrike
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Fivelives » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 pm

We had rotary phones "back in the day". And if you wanted to walk around while you were on the phone, you had to buy extension cords for it. And that was plenty. Then cordless phones came out - and that was awesome, no more tripping over phone cords. I swore I'd never need anything else.

Then, I went to Europe and had to get a cell phone. Ok, cool, I thought, I'll never need a phone for anything but calling and texting. Now, I have a droid and it's like "OOH! Email! MUST. CHECK. NAO."

But I'm standing firm on the "social networking" trend.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby ulushnar » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 am

I've got half my old guild on Facebook. Almost none of us play the game anymore and they live in different countries, but I'm damned if I'm going to let that stand in the way of friendships developed over the course of five years.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3570
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Vanifae » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:34 am

Fivelives wrote:We had rotary phones "back in the day". And if you wanted to walk around while you were on the phone, you had to buy extension cords for it. And that was plenty. Then cordless phones came out - and that was awesome, no more tripping over phone cords. I swore I'd never need anything else.

Then, I went to Europe and had to get a cell phone. Ok, cool, I thought, I'll never need a phone for anything but calling and texting. Now, I have a droid and it's like "OOH! Email! MUST. CHECK. NAO."

But I'm standing firm on the "social networking" trend.

Hold the line.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Brand » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:55 am

To me it's kind of funny, since I started using Facebook because an old guildie of mine suggested it, and originally all of my friends were from WoW. Come to find out that most of my friends from back home (the Air Force spirited me away shortly after high school) are on Facebook and now they make up the vast majority of my friends list.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
User avatar
Brand
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Rachmaninoff » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:24 pm

mew wrote:(This isn't directed at anyone, it was just something I was reminded about when reading the thread)
I have trouble understanding why people like to keep such huge separations between various aspects of their social lives (and most people seem to do this). I understand the importance of separation of work and personal things, and I know I tend to be the weird one for being so open about things with everyone, but I don't see what the big importance is about hiding who you are from one social situation to the next.

I guess the most similar thing I have had is family life versus my nerd social life. I used to keep them separate because it was just easier that way, but then I stopped being so secretive about it and stopped hiding what my real hobbies are. If a relative asked me "How are you? What have you been up to?", instead of staying the usual "I'm good, same old stuff" I would be like "I'm really excited about this new costume I have been working on." Of course there are still some members of my family that I have to keep things secret from, but you know who you can tell things to and who you can't ("What? Why aren't you spending that time studying?!"), and for the most part I feel like family should be the people you can be yourself with.

I understand if people just, for whatever reason, don't want to mix the two social lives. But I guess what I don't understand is why so many people do it.


I used to keep myself separated from my wow friends and my RL/FB friends. It was only recently that we have started to connect. I have been playing with this group of people for about 3 years of my 4.5 years of playing that someone decided to make a FB group and I have added them.

My reasoning for holding off for so long is partially my shame of playing wow. My friends give me grief and my girlfriend hates that I play. But the other and primary reason is because I've never actually met them. To me that does make a bit of a difference. Sure I can talk to you via a video game, but thats it.

One thing I do agree, separation of work and FB. If you were to try to pull up my FB, you wouldn't see shit. Not even my face.

I also hate myself for having FB because it has become a place of ads, commercials, and personal data mining. The actual social impact of FB disturbs me. Anyone ever see the south park episode about FB?
User avatar
Rachmaninoff
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby anthony » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 pm

I chose the less than 10% option, I like to have some guild members on Facebook in order to contact them if necessary and chat outside of WoW. That said I'm rarely on it anyway.
Chat-killer at your service.
User avatar
anthony
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:17 am

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Arnock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm

I voted zero, if only because the handful of wow players that I have on my FB I already knew before I started playing.


To me, facebook is a convenient way to keep in touch with friends that you don't/can't see very often. I could take it or leave it, never was too big of a deal for me. I can't seem to understand the logic of having to check one's wall every few minutes, or spending large amounts of time just being "on facebook."
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 2789
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:31 am

anthony wrote:I chose the less than 10% option, I like to have some guild members on Facebook in order to contact them if necessary and chat outside of WoW. That said I'm rarely on it anyway.

And we like to post embarrassing things on your wall.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8406
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest