WoW friends on Facebook

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

What percentage of your friends on Facebook are people you know from WoW?

Zero - I don't like to mix the game with my real life.
11%
Less than 10% - There are very few people I want to share my real identity with.
31%
10-29% - I have some WoW friends listed, but Facebook is mainly made up with my RL friends and family.
25%
30-49% - The game is close to making up the bulk of my friends but I try and maintain a healthy balance.
3%
50-79% - I occasionally leave the basement to meet real people, but not very often.
5%
80-100% - The game is my life!
No votes
I have over a thousand friends, you really expect me to count them all?!
No votes
CBH
13%
What's Facebook? Oh, you mean that trendy thing I am the last person on the planet avoiding?
11%

Total votes : 91

WoW friends on Facebook

Postby katraya » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:48 am

Despite the fact that I have a million other things I should be doing at the moment, I logged onto Facebook a few minutes ago. I realized, not for the first time, that most of the people I interact with on there frequently are people I know through WoW or a WoW-related website.

I wondered if other people had the same situation so I figured a poll was called for! Feel free to include people you met on WoW-related forums or events like Blizzcon. Only include people you initially met this way, not real life friends you later played with.

When I actually took the time to count only 30% of my friends were WoW-related, but I still think that they make up the bulk of people who I actually interact with on a regular basis.

Percentages were arbitrarily pulled out of my head and shouldn't be mistaken for anything scientific! Descriptions were meant to be tongue in cheek and not to cause offence. Obligatory CBH included.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Re: WoW friends on Facebook

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 am

Agh, I voted Zero before seeing the CBH option.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 am

I said ten percent because I've got something stupid like 350 "friends" which are mostly people I played soccer with over the summers from the time I was in middle/high school till now. (Twenty people on a team per year... it adds up.) That and how everyone from high school adds you when they discover FB.

I'd say I predominantly converse with WoW players on Facebook rather than IRL friends.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Amshel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:00 am

I am a closet nerd and don't like to admit to playing wow. 0%!
Amshel

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:03 am

My FB friends list is made up of about 80% IRL friends and 20% parents of IRL friends. Half the people from High School who tried to add me were outright rejected. I don't have to put up with these heathens anymore. I don't have anyone from any games on any friends list. I play with people I know, and people my friends know to ensure quality. Of the people I regularly converse with about gaming, 3 of the 4 I haven't met personally live in England.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:05 am

Amshel wrote:I am a closet nerd and don't like to admit to playing wow. 0%!

Hah, I am a bit like that too. Despite the fact that I do have so many WoW friends on Facebook, I never make references to the game on my page or link to anything WoW-related.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 am

My FB identity is based upon my WoW main, I made it to join our Guild FB site. I do not use my real name or add many IRL people because I do not want my bosses and coworkers to track my life in FB. So of my ~35 FB Friends, probably 30 are Guildies or RL friends who play WoW. The others were able to figure out my ID through those connections but they understand that I don't want my real name being associated with FB.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Amshel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:12 am

katraya wrote:

Hah, I am a bit like that too. Despite the fact that I do have so many WoW friends on Facebook, I never make references to the game on my page or link to anything WoW-related.

I have a friend that knows and conversation always gets awkward when they bring it up

"So you're still playing WoW?"

Silence

"Yeah..." /hang head in shame

"Oh lord."
Amshel

Postby Vanifae » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 am

Amshel wrote:
katraya wrote:

I have a friend that knows and conversation always gets awkward when they bring it up

Silence

"Oh lord."

I never understood this why have shame for something you enjoy that does not hurt anyone?

I love gaming and if people can love sports, music, or partying every night I can love gaming.

Also many of my friends on FB are both WoW players and people I know including my mom.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Amshel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 am

Vanifae wrote:I never understood this why have shame for something you enjoy that does not hurt anyone?

I love gaming and if people can love sports, music, or partying every night I can love gaming.

Also many of my friends on FB are both WoW players and people I know including my mom.

I think it's because she used to be somewhat of a gamer so she acts a little high and mighty that she's quit her games and I haven't. I have no interest in talking about WoW to people who don't play it.
Amshel

Postby Thornir » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 am

Does it count if the people I know IRL who play WoW are all family members? I have 2 brothers, 4 cousins, 2 uncles and an aunt who all play WoW.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Vanifae » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 am

Amshel wrote:I think it's because she used to be somewhat of a gamer so she acts a little high and mighty that she's quit her games and I haven't. I have no interest in talking about WoW to people who don't play it.

If she quit gaming she wasn't much of a gamer.

That's like saying I loved sports but I stopped watching games, praise me for kicking the habit.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am

Amshel wrote:I think it's because she used to be somewhat of a gamer so she acts a little high and mighty that she's quit her games and I haven't.

Self-righteousness is so attractive.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Brutalicus » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 am

Although I predictably voted CBH, I don't have any WoW friends on Facebook. I like to keep it separated. Though I did give my guild leader my email for RealID, which I guess is sort of the opposite of the polled question, huh.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:40 am

Vanifae wrote:
Amshel wrote:
katraya wrote:

Silence

"Oh lord."

I never understood this why have shame for something you enjoy that does not hurt anyone?

Same here. And in fact, I love proving to people that I AM a nerdy gamer. As if to say "hah, not every gamer is a basement dwelling sociopath with no social skills."
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum