Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Deep-Fried Cheddar-Bacon Mashed Potatoes...On a Stick

Postby Dianora » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 pm

ImageImageImage
Dianora

Re: Deep-Fried Cheddar-Bacon Mashed Potatoes...On a Stick

Postby Korola » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:37 pm

DALLAS — Get set for the Sixth Annual Big Tex Choice Awards as 2010 State Fair of Texas vendors vie for Best Taste & Most Creative. Earlier this month, participants submitted recipes; the field has now been narrowed to eight. FYI: Two of the entries require IDs. Purchasers must be 21.

The final round is on Labor Day when a panel of three judges will pick the winners. This event is not open to the general public; media only.

The finalists for the 2010 Big Tex Choice Awards are:

Deep Fried S’mores Pop•Tart®

Fried Chocolate

Deep Fried Frozen Margarita

Fried Lemonade

Fernie’s Fried Club Salad

Texas Fried Caviar

Fried Beer™ Texas

Fried Frito® Pie

Big Tex Choice Awards finalists

Deep Fried S’mores Pop•Tart – Pop•Tart with a sensational chocolate, peanut butter, s’mores flavor is lightly battered and deep fried. Hot out of the fryer, the sinfully diet-busting treat is drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with whipped cream.

Deep Fried Frozen Margarita - Sweet and creamy funnel cake batter is deliciously coupled with margarita ingredients. Fried, dusted with a tangy lemon/lime mixture and lightly spritzed with south of the border flavor, it’s served in a salt rimmed glass. 21 and over, ID required.

Fernie’s Fried Club Salad – Super colossal 12” spinach wrap surrounds generous layers of juicy diced ham & chicken, shredded iceberg, crunchy carrot strips, ripe cherry tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar and hickory smoked bacon. Deep fried until lightly crispy; topped with deep-fried sour dough croutons on a stick and served on a bed of shredded romaine lettuce. Choice of creamy Ranch, Thousand Island, or Caesar dressing.

Fried Beer - Beer-filled pretzel pocket is deep-fried to a golden brown. One bite and the escaping beer serves as a dipping sauce. 21 and over, ID required.

Fried Chocolate – A white chocolate mini candy bar + a cherry are stuffed into a mouth-watering brownie, dipped into delicious chocolate cake batter and deep fried to perfection. The finished product has a warm just-out-of-the-oven taste! Topped with powdered sugar and a rich cherry sauce and served with chocolate flavored whip cream.

Fried Lemonade – Lemon flavored pastry is made from Country Time® lemonade. First baked, then fried, this taste tempting treat is glazed with a mix of lemonade, powdered sugar, and lemon zest.

Texas Fried Caviar – Texas version of a southern good luck staple. Black-eyed peas are fried and laced with special spices blended with Old Bay® Seasoning and are available in regular or spicy. Find them in Cotton Bowl Plaza (next to Cotton Bowl steps), inside the Auto Building, near Big Tex, and on the Thrillway.

Texas Fried Frito Pie – A generous portion of savory Texas born chili accented with a hint of sharp cheddar encased in everybody’s favorite corn chip. Lightly battered and fried to a golden brown perfection. With its smooth medley of hot, meaty, crunchy, salty, cheesy, oozing goodness, “Texas Fried Frito Pie” transports you back to the golden age of Fair Food.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:54 pm

Dianora wrote:Image

Most of the random deep fried things don't appeal to me. A lot of it is various forms of candy and I'm not a big sweet eater. Mashed potatoes, with cheese, and bacon though sounds pretty freaking amazing.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Korola wrote:DALLAS — Get set for the Sixth Annual Big Tex Choice Awards as 2010 State Fair of Texas vendors vie for Best Taste & Most Creative. Earlier this month, participants submitted recipes; the field has now been narrowed to eight. FYI: Two of the entries require IDs. Purchasers must be 21.

The final round is on Labor Day when a panel of three judges will pick the winners. This event is not open to the general public; media only.

Fried Chocolate

Fried Lemonade

Texas Fried Caviar

Fried Beer™ Texas

Fried Frito® Pie

Deep Fried S’mores Pop•Tart – Pop•Tart with a sensational chocolate, peanut butter, s’mores flavor is lightly battered and deep fried. Hot out of the fryer, the sinfully diet-busting treat is drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with whipped cream.

Deep Fried Frozen Margarita - Sweet and creamy funnel cake batter is deliciously coupled with margarita ingredients. Fried, dusted with a tangy lemon/lime mixture and lightly spritzed with south of the border flavor, it’s served in a salt rimmed glass. 21 and over, ID required.

Fernie’s Fried Club Salad – Super colossal 12” spinach wrap surrounds generous layers of juicy diced ham & chicken, shredded iceberg, crunchy carrot strips, ripe cherry tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar and hickory smoked bacon. Deep fried until lightly crispy; topped with deep-fried sour dough croutons on a stick and served on a bed of shredded romaine lettuce. Choice of creamy Ranch, Thousand Island, or Caesar dressing.

Fried Beer - Beer-filled pretzel pocket is deep-fried to a golden brown. One bite and the escaping beer serves as a dipping sauce. 21 and over, ID required.

Fried Chocolate – A white chocolate mini candy bar + a cherry are stuffed into a mouth-watering brownie, dipped into delicious chocolate cake batter and deep fried to perfection. The finished product has a warm just-out-of-the-oven taste! Topped with powdered sugar and a rich cherry sauce and served with chocolate flavored whip cream.

Fried Lemonade – Lemon flavored pastry is made from Country Time® lemonade. First baked, then fried, this taste tempting treat is glazed with a mix of lemonade, powdered sugar, and lemon zest.

Texas Fried Caviar – Texas version of a southern good luck staple. Black-eyed peas are fried and laced with special spices blended with Old Bay® Seasoning and are available in regular or spicy. Find them in Cotton Bowl Plaza (next to Cotton Bowl steps), inside the Auto Building, near Big Tex, and on the Thrillway.

Texas Fried Frito Pie – A generous portion of savory Texas born chili accented with a hint of sharp cheddar encased in everybody’s favorite corn chip. Lightly battered and fried to a golden brown perfection. With its smooth medley of hot, meaty, crunchy, salty, cheesy, oozing goodness, “Texas Fried Frito Pie” transports you back to the golden age of Fair Food.

The human race just got a whole lot better
Lightbeard

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Korola wrote:DALLAS — Get set for the Sixth Annual Big Tex Choice Awards as 2010 State Fair of Texas vendors vie for Best Taste & Most Creative. Earlier this month, participants submitted recipes; the field has now been narrowed to eight. FYI: Two of the entries require IDs. Purchasers must be 21.

Fried Chocolate

Fried Lemonade

Texas Fried Caviar

Fried Beer™ Texas

Fried Frito® Pie

The human race just got a whole lot better
Lightbeard

Postby Chicken » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:32 pm

This post and another post made a while ago has convinced me. In the future, the only way of cooking that will still exist is deep-frying.
Chicken

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Chicken wrote:This post and another post made a while ago has convinced me. In the future, the only way of cooking that will still exist is deep-frying.

I'll take my heart attack with a side of fries.
Lightbeard

Postby Lightbreak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Mashed potatoes, with cheese, and bacon though sounds pretty freaking amazing.

I've been pan frying left over mashed potatoes my entire life. Just need to let them cool in the fridge (usually left from the day before) and cook them up like pancakes in a little oil. Very good!
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Lightbeard wrote:I'll take my heart attack with a side of fries.

Proper deep frying doesn't leave you with greasy food.

Now if you're deep frying stuff that'll give you a heart attack anyway, you're on your own.

Edit: fuck accidentally replied to a LB post :[
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Lightbreak wrote:I've been pan frying left over mashed potatoes my entire life. Just need to let them cool in the fridge (usually left from the day before) and cook them up like pancakes in a little oil. Very good!

That... works?
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Lightbreak wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Mashed potatoes, with cheese, and bacon though sounds pretty freaking amazing.

I've been pan frying left over mashed potatoes my entire life. Just need to let them cool in the fridge (usually left from the day before) and cook them up like pancakes in a little oil. Very good!

Yeah, we call those potato cakes, but I've never done it deep fried or with cheese and bacon.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Lightbreak wrote:

I'm glad you kept that avatar <3
Lightbeard

Postby ryan4nayr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Any guesses on the dipping sauces pictured? I'm fairly certain the cup on the right is sour cream with little bits of chives, various restaurants where I've eaten latke / potato cake typically served that.

Is the cup on the left apple sauce or caramel or something?
ryan4nayr

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Kind of looks like a honey dijon sauce. It's probably gravy, lol
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Rachmaninoff » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:58 am

Lightbeard wrote:
The human race just got a whole lot fatter

fix'ed
Rachmaninoff