Deus Ex

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Deus Ex

Postby Dazhbog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:37 am

sahiel wrote:Basically what Invis said, the game itself is fantastic, superbly immersive with really good quests and story, the combat is excellent, the regen health works fine and you will still need health 'packs' if you plan on ever getting into a face to face fight, the boss fights are retarded though..

I disliked them enough that I went into the options at the start of each one, turned the difficulty down to minimum, killed the boss, turned diffculty back up and went on my way hacking and ghosting through the game, leaving a few corpses with a single bullet wound to the head behind me for confused guards to stand there going "Wtf?!" over. Brilliant game, just forget the boss fights.

Also, throwing a proximity mine into a group of enemies whilst hidden? Priceless.

Rather than running like they do with grenades, they start to run, notice it's not a grenade go "Huh, what's that?" then the proximity detector goes off and they get a moment to go "Fuck, it IS a bomb!" before the fireworks :D

It's not ghosting if you set off explosions! Neyah!

I'm loving the challenge of getting the actual Ghost and Smooth Op rewards for each mission. Heck, I don't think I've actually killed more then a handful of guards; most of them are wither stun gunned, knocked out, or just simply bypassed. Now that I can hack worth a damn though I'm starting to get greedy with consoles, to the point of knocking out a roomful of guards (without being seen) just so I can read peoples' email. I do enjoy making a noise so the very last guard turns around and goes, "Hey guys, are you all asleep- uh oh *crunch*"

I do wish the Icarus was a bit less flashy. I don't feel very stealthy when I descend from the heavens in a glorious glowing plasma ball, you know what I mean? They also get negative points for the energy regen system (I bought all the regen augs but none of the battery increasing ones; I use take downs so frequently they'd just stay drained anyway), but they get them back for the hacking game, which is pretty brilliant if you ask me. Even if they did force me to spend two points to shutdown robots so I didn't have to blow up the two on the helipad (you'll know where I mean). Explosions are not stealthy! I want them to be convinced I'm still in the walls after I leave the premises.
Dazhbog

Postby Passionario » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:11 am

I can't shake off the feeling that they've skewed XP rewards a bit too far into the direction of that particular playstyle.

One of the biggest advantages of DX1 is that you could be whoever you want: sniper, walking tank, stormtrooper, gunslinger, robotic ninja, grenadier, hacker, engineer, pacifist, killing machine, and so forth. Each playstyle had its own distinct advantages and disadvantages.

HR, on other hand, sends a clear message: if you're not ghosting through the levels using exclusively non-lethal takedowns, you're doing it wrong.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Invisusira » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:48 am

STICK WITH THE PROD
Invisusira

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 am

I had not even considered buying this game until I took the time to read through this whole thread..

I have about 3,000 spare microsoft points on my xbox so I may pick up DE1 and possibly the newly released game.

(BEFORE I ask the question I KNOW these games are COMPLETELY different games / genres)

In comparison to say Dragon's Age, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Assassins Creed how do you rank Deus Ex? Better than all of them, equal or less than?

Thee reason I asked is because I loved all of these games and found them to be my favorite Xbox games.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Invisusira » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 am

Deus Ex (and, thankfully, DE 2) aren't on XBLA.

I've never played the first three games you mentioned, but I enjoy DE 3 a lot more than I did Assassin's Creed. I'd imagine that since you like the kind of chose your own adventure RPG Bioware makes, you'll enjoy Deus Ex.
Invisusira

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:40 am

I'm giving this one a try myself, not very far in so far, and I just learned that I should not throw cardboard boxes at people holding guns.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby sahiel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 am

Passionario wrote:I can't shake off the feeling that they've skewed XP rewards a bit too far into the direction of that particular playstyle.

One of the biggest advantages of DX1 is that you could be whoever you want: sniper, walking tank, stormtrooper, gunslinger, robotic ninja, grenadier, hacker, engineer, pacifist, killing machine, and so forth. Each playstyle had its own distinct advantages and disadvantages.

HR, on other hand, sends a clear message: if you're not ghosting through the levels using exclusively non-lethal takedowns, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not sure i'd agree with this to be honest, I tended to only use non lethal take downs by accident, alternated between stealth/hacking and 'kill absolutely every mother fucker in the room' pretty much 50/50 and by the end of the game I was buying Augs just because, i'd taken everything I needed probably 70% of the way through, after that I just started grabbing stuff for the hell of it.

I think i'd be tempted to say they were too generous with exp by quite a large margin, perhaps a 20-30% reduction overall would have made it more of an actual choice as to which augs you picked up, possibly even more to be honest.

In fact my biggest 'gripe' with the game (other than the boss fights) is that there really is a terribly limited ammo supply should you choose to go gung-ho and kick down doors the whole game, you tend to end up having to use every single weapon simply because you will run out of ammo otherwise.

KysenMurrin wrote:I'm giving this one a try myself, not very far in so far, and I just learned that I should not throw cardboard boxes at people holding guns.

You can however, throw soda machines off the tops of 4 story buildings at people with guns to hilarious effect :D
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm

I am getting way too into this game right now. Though I hate combat, so I'm trying to do everything by stealth. Right now I'm in an ambush on the Alice Gardens place and I keep taking forever to get through then getting caught near the end. Best I've managed is dropping out of a vent near the exit only to have a soldier right next to me when I landed.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Brutalicus » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:46 am

I just finished it last night. I hadn't played the original, but if the story is really even better than in Human Revolution then I can understand why people love it so much. Overall I'd say it's easily up there with Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 2 on my "favorite games of the last two/three years" list, even though I'm not about to replay it just to see some small differences in the plot.

I sort of feel guilty for my playstyle swings from "punch everybody in the face without being seen and hide them in vents" to "annihilate everybody with a fully-upgraded revolver with explosive rounds." Only game that's ever made me feel bad for murdering the hell out of the "bad" guys.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 am

Brutalicus wrote:I sort of feel guilty for my playstyle swings from "punch everybody in the face without being seen and hide them in vents" to "annihilate everybody with a fully-upgraded revolver with explosive rounds." Only game that's ever made me feel bad for murdering the hell out of the "bad" guys.

I LOL'd
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Levantine » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Impulse grabbed it yesterday. I approve of this game.
Levantine

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Brutalicus wrote:I just finished it last night. I hadn't played the original, but if the story is really even better than in Human Revolution then I can understand why people love it so much.

Deus Ex (the original) not only had an excellent story, but it was one of the very first games that really let the player choose the path they took through a mission. After the rail shooters of the 90s, this was incredibly refreshing, and combined with the aug system made it one of the most innovative shooter games of the time. It's still widely hailed as one of the best PC games ever made.

I don't get the numbering scheme though. Deus Ex 1, to Deus Ex 3. They skipped 2! (and so should you :-P )
Dazhbog

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Game froze when I tried to enter the boss' office in the TYM building, then again when I tried to load latest save. Ugh.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby PsiVen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 pm

I've spent about 24 hours on DX3 so far, and I'm just now getting to the 2nd boss. It's a fantastic game, though in many ways the original is still superior. I am hoping that it proves moddable so that we can tweak some of the more annoying features like the jarring time-stop cutscenes for every takedown/landing and the uselessness of every energy pip beyond the first. I suspect enemy AI could benefit from some improvements as well...

Biggest disappointment? Throwing vending machines and fridges at people doesn't crush them to death. It knocks them down and does a small amount of damage, so you have to repeatedly pick it up and throw it at them to kill even one enemy that way. It's utterly silly that I can drop a fridge on someone twice and have them get up and shoot me to death with a machine pistol in two seconds. A mod that fixed this and perhaps made some more large objects in the environment interactive would add loads of enjoyment and, er, emergent fridgeplay. Also, the PEPS gun sucks and I can't even seem to knock out one person with it most of the time, let alone several.

I enjoyed the first boss fight, although I might not have if I wasn't expecting it and carrying a combat rifle that I never used otherwise. I frantically sprinted away from him and unloaded my rifle ammo into his face whenever I could, then when I ran out of ammo I scrambled to find a new solution: throwing a satisfyingly explosive barrel to finish him off.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:16 am

PsiVen wrote:the uselessness of every energy pip beyond the first.

Depends how you're playing I guess. When you can use two or three energy bars to just walk right through the middle of a room full of enemies without being seen it comes in useful.

I managed to get the game working again after having to shut it down a couple times in the task manager, and finished off the TYM section. After the cutscene with the boss I just hit invis and ran right through the middle of all the guards to the elevator. I'm surprised it worked, because I don't have the silent running aug.

Though I guess the rest of the time I only use energy for the rare takedown.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum