Deus Ex

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Deus Ex

Postby Braundo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

I played it for about a month, and it's a lot of fun at the low levels, but once I got to around rank 25 the really really repetitive nature of levequests and the lack of actual story outside of the once-a-week cutscenes was the dealbreaker for me. The shitty interface and fast equipment wear didn't help either. Shame, too, because at one point I had considered transitioning fully from WoW to 14 if it turned out to be any good.

But in any case, I don't want to keep derailing this topic. Deus Ex HELL YEAH.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby mazater » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:18 am

There are a few awesome mods to Deus Ex out there on the internet, for those of you interested in trying the game out again with some differences here and there.

I'd give you names for a few good mods, but I'm at work right now.
mazater

Postby Santcuff » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 am

Human Revolution is almost done downloading and I can not wait to play. So soon!
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 am

Just picked it up for Invis over my lunch hour. Poor guy has to sit at home waiting for it till I get there.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 am

Isn't it what digital downloads are for ?
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:50 am

yeah, who buys games in boxes anymore?

Edit: Canadians w/ bandwidth cap. Answered my own question.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:52 am

Less the dumb bandwidth cap, more that I don't really play PC games outside of the MMO and RTS genere. Stuff just runs better on consoles (unless I break the disc; looking at you multiple times Soul Calibur 4). Plus I don't think there's a Mac version.
Invisusira

Postby cerwillis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:00 pm

I suppose I hadn't considered which platform I'm gonna get this one for. Maybe I'll go see if I can do trade-ins and get it on 360 at Gamestop.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:53 pm

I went and bought a physical PC copy rather than downloading it. I like to have the physical copy of games if I can. Even though Steam lets me download stuff over and over, it is just comforting for some reason looking over at my game shelf and seeing the box there. I'm weird.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Angelarc6570 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Gracerath wrote:I went and bought a physical PC copy rather than downloading it. I like to have the physical copy of games if I can. Even though Steam lets me download stuff over and over, it is just comforting for some reason looking over at my game shelf and seeing the box there. I'm weird.

Not even a little, I feel some sort of strange pride in looking over at a Bookshelf full of books and games and movies and say yeah

I'm awesome.
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 am

I always get physical books, CDs, and DVDs, but for some reason I'm pretty comfortable with digital-only games.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Invisusira » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:15 am

Played it pretty much all evening last night, liking it so far! Feels very much like the original. Thoughts so far:

1) I definitely like the much-dreaded much-debated regening health system. Does loads for the pace of the game, but without shortening it by making you want to explore the levels any less.

2) This game probably plays better with a keyboard and mouse. Ever since Halo, I've been all psh ok whatever FPS is FINE on console. And it is. This isn't really an FPS, though, and aiming at every little item you want to pick up and inspect can get tedious with a console controller. However, if you're in the console crowd like me, have no fear - turn the x- and y-axis sensitivity way up (in the gameplay options menu) and you'll have a much better time.

3) Most of all, and most importantly - it feels like the first game again. The interactions, the augs, the environment, even the sliiightly less-than-perfect-graphics-and-voice-acting-but-that's-ok-because-there's-so-much-of-it all have that wonderful Deus-Exy feeling about them. There's even a new back-alley basketball hoop (and it's way harder to get a basket this time btw).
Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:39 am

After getting to the first boss fight, I'ma go ahead and echo what all the reviews are saying - they're kinda dumb.

After going around and doing all this stealth-takedown headshot-kill stuff, you're suddenly thrown into a room with a dude with no head armor who apparently has a face made of titanium, because I shot it repeatedly with a shotgun and he didn't even flinch. It's the old "circle straft while shooting the boss and chucking explosives, waiting for his invisible health bar to go down" crap that I'd expect from something the in the Doom-Doom II era. (In fact, it felt remarkably like a Doom boss).

Very, very archaic feeling to watch this guy act completely oblivious to explosion after explosion and headshot after headshot. Bit of a downer, and completely removed the immersion.
Invisusira

Postby sahiel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Basically what Invis said, the game itself is fantastic, superbly immersive with really good quests and story, the combat is excellent, the regen health works fine and you will still need health 'packs' if you plan on ever getting into a face to face fight, the boss fights are retarded though..

I disliked them enough that I went into the options at the start of each one, turned the difficulty down to minimum, killed the boss, turned diffculty back up and went on my way hacking and ghosting through the game, leaving a few corpses with a single bullet wound to the head behind me for confused guards to stand there going "Wtf?!" over. Brilliant game, just forget the boss fights.

Also, throwing a proximity mine into a group of enemies whilst hidden? Priceless.

Rather than running like they do with grenades, they start to run, notice it's not a grenade go "Huh, what's that?" then the proximity detector goes off and they get a moment to go "Fuck, it IS a bomb!" before the fireworks :D
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum