Remove Advertisements

Deus Ex

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Deus Ex

Postby Mex » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Candiru wrote:BioShock was hyped by its creators as the spiritual successor to SystemShock2 (which is also evident in the name!) If you followed all the chat they were giving during development you would have been as disappointed as me when it was released. It wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't as good as SystemShock2.

Ahhh, I only played Bioshock 1 for the first time about 6 months ago, so I missed all the release hype. That's kinda disappointing.

Strange little coincidence, but the guy who introduced me to DE and System Shock 2 went on to work for 2k Games on Bioshock 2. I think he was mostly doing the console ports or whatever though so he gets a pass for it not being spectacular.
Mex

Postby Synesis » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Great, make that 8 ppl that reinstall this game =/ lol.

I'm kind of excited but at the same time cautious of the new one, for one it's made by Square, which I assume the actual system of the game is probably gonna be tight with amazing graphics. However, they have a way of messing up a good thing with every good game franchise they touch in recent years, including the ones they created themselves. (I'm not going to even list them since that list is long... and makes my inner gamer cry)

For one, I expect I'm gonna see a character I will want to eviscerate due to their sheer annoyance, ignorance, uselessness, whineyness, or a combination of any two, three or all four, that seem to creep in every modern SE game...
Synesis

Postby Goodheart » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:09 am

I don't think square-enix is actually involved in the game itself, just the cinematics (which is imho, a really good thing :P).
Still how in earth do you get another dues ex, it is simply impossible! One can only hope I suppose...
Goodheart

Postby Mex » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:34 am

So after getting all the way to Castle Clinton without killing a single foe, I finally lost it, took my finger off the crouch key and just emptied 3 clips into like 5 terrorists at once. Man it was satisfying. Then back to skulking in the subway!
Mex

Postby Passionario » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:56 am

Chunes wrote:
Invisusira wrote:<3 minicrossbow

I just heard the sound it makes when you pull it out in my head.

goddamnit I'm going to have to play some of this tonight >:D

I was a bigger fan of the tazer baton though, I always opted for a CQC/stealth oriented approach, so until my melee attacks could incapacitate someone from behind in 1 hit, I took to zapping people.

My personal favorite is a stealth pistol (upgraded with every mod I could get my hands on).

It's like a universal remote control: point it at someone's head, press the "OFF" button, and they'll fall down.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Tenaka » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:08 am

Unfortunately every time I play it I vow to play it differently but end up being stealth lethal methodically cleansing each and every area of ne'er-do-wells before moving on.

In fact I realise now the only thing I change is whether I choose to save Jock or not.
Tenaka

Postby Kelaan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Lightbeard wrote:What makes the game so appealing?

There were multiple (MULTIPLE!) ways of solving nearly every level. They basically put you in a cityscape, and said something like, "So, the bad guys are at the top of the Statue of Liberty with a WMD ... go get 'em!". Then, you got to decide whether to sneak in the back way, without raising alarms (killing people or not -- I preferred the more permanent safety of dead enemies ;)), or perhaps going inthe front door, or maybe hacking the autogun turrets to take out sentries.

The first time I played it, I was a small arms master. Pistol skill up the wazoo, headshots galore, etc. SEcond time through ... eff that. Sure, I used a pistol when I had to, but normally the plan was to be silent bladed death incarnate. When you get the lightsaber-like nano-sword midway through the game, it's worth it. Some people played it without killing anyone (or, as few as possible), some people were a mobile maelstrom.

You could even alter a major plot point of the game by saving a protagonist from a scripted nearly-guaranteed death sentence.

Plus, you get to play a super-secret nano-augmented ninja, uncovering government (and other) conspiracies, woven together masterfully. MJ-12, the Illuminati, organized crime (the Triads), all fit into the dystopian plot. It was awesome. If you ever played and enjoyed the Shadowrun RPG, this is like living a dream. Basically, the game had a strong and interesting plot, fabulous music, and varied gameplay.

I absolutely cannot wait for the prequel. It makes my inner heart go Squee.
Kelaan

Postby Chunes » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Tenaka wrote:Unfortunately every time I play it I vow to play it differently but end up being stealth lethal methodically cleansing each and every area of ne'er-do-wells before moving on.

I refer this as the "Tenchu" approach.
Chunes

Postby Passionario » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:04 am

On a whim, I've installed Invisible War yesterday. And since IW is a very simplified game, compared to the original, I decided that I'm going to play it in a very simplified manner.

Namely, my goal is to punch every NPC I meet in the face. :)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Santcuff » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:11 am

Passionario wrote:On a whim, I've installed Invisible War yesterday. And since IW is a very simplified game, compared to the original, I decided that I'm going to play it in a very simplified manner.

Namely, my goal is to punch every NPC I meet in the face. :)

I aprove of that goal :D
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby Braundo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 am

Still one of my absolute favorite games of all time. I have high hopes for DE3, but yeah, I'm trying not to get them too high in case this turns out to be another Invisible War.

My favorite way of playing DE1 is all stealth...until I get the Dragon Tooth Sword. Then, fuck it.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 am

Braundo wrote:My favorite way of playing DE1 is all stealth...until I get the Dragon Tooth Sword. Then, ascend into a nano-augmented Jedi, laughing all the way.

;)
Dragon sword with all the fun melee augs/skills is WAY too fun.
Kelaan

Postby Melathys » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Goodheart wrote:I don't think square-enix is actually involved in the game itself, just the cinematics (which is imho, a really good thing :P).
Still how in earth do you get another dues ex, it is simply impossible! One can only hope I suppose...

the cutscenes in ffxiv, you could almost swear they were prerendered scenes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSwWLbUn44o (it looked better on my computer than in this vid...)
Melathys

Postby Braundo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:35 pm

One of the few redeeming features of FFXIV.

I had really high hopes for that game, but damn. It makes even WoW 1.0 look like a goddamned flawless masterpiece by comparison. There's absolutely no content.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm

I'll keep playing it at least until they stop giving away free subscriptions. Going on three months now of free game time, and I'm guessing december will be free too, cause they want ppl to keep playing until they put in the next major patch.
Melathys

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum