Remove Advertisements

MINECRAFT

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: MINECRAFT

Postby Guldylohx » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 pm

While I was over at my friend's house, we found out that trees can be grown instantly with bonemeal.

So he built a tree-on-tree frankenstein to the height-limit of the map...

then poured lava onto it.
Guldylohx

Postby Invisusira » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:23 pm

wat is ip
Invisusira

Postby laterna » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 am

Ip/port still the same, just closed the server last night around 12pm UK time
laterna

Postby Guldylohx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:26 am

1.5 just hit this morning. I'm totally going to make a snow castle now :3

Edit: I can confirm that zombies spawn during thunderstorms. I didn't see any other mobs while I was singing, though.
Guldylohx

Postby Candiru » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 am

I just got minecraft last night (finally).

So far I've managed to make a small habitable cave hewn into a nearby hill-side, then built an enclosed courtyard around the entrance to stop enemies getting too close. Are enemies able to open doors? At the moment I'm getting in/out of my courtyard by jumping up a pile of blocks in one corner.

I've delved down inside and found some iron ore. I've spent 3 on an iron pick (should I save this for mining something valuable, or just use it to mine quickly?)

After only finding a tiny amount of coal and running out of torches, I've been stockpiling wood to make into charcoal in my furnaces inside my house. This means I now have many more torches for exploring! So far I've just been digging down in a spiral pattern beneath my house to see what I can find.

If I want to make a portal to the netherworld, I need obsidian. What is the best way to get this? Looks like I need a diamond pick to move it even once I've made/found some. Can you make your portal in-situ using a dirt mould and some buckets of lava? (What sort of buckets should I use to move lava, if I find some?)

Also, dam creepers. (Although I managed to kill one with a stone-sword without it exploding! :))
Candiru

Postby Guldylohx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:10 am

Candiru wrote:I've delved down inside and found some iron ore. I've spent 3 on an iron pick (should I save this for mining something valuable, or just use it to mine quickly?)

Save one pick for mining gold, redstone, and diamond. Nothing below an iron pickaxe will give resources upon harvesting.

Candiru wrote:If I want to make a portal to the netherworld, I need obsidian. What is the best way to get this?

Obsidian is made by running flowing water over a lava source tile. Attempting to place water directly on lava will usually cause the water to just disappear.

If you're not familiar with source/flowing properties of liquids, source tiles are a never-ending supply of the liquid which will flow to each one's maximum distance (measured in blocks, and it resets the distance if the flow drops in elevation) or until it hits a wall. Lava sources are the only way to get obsidian legitimately (when lava lakes are formed, each block is considered a source tile). Lava flows will only produce cobblestone when they touch water. Be forewarned.

Candiru wrote:Looks like I need a diamond pick to move it even once I've made/found some.

This is true. Diamond pickaxes are needed to harvest obsidian. Nothing else will yield a resource from it.

Candiru wrote:Can you make your portal in-situ using a dirt mould and some buckets of lava? (What sort of buckets should I use to move lava, if I find some?)

Yes you can make a mold for obsidian. You have to build it one block at a time, due to the source/flow mechanic I mentioned earlier, but it can be done.
Buckets can only be made from iron ingots. Bowls can be made from wooden planks, but those are only used in making mushroom soup.

Candiru wrote:Also, dam creepers. (Although I managed to kill one with a stone-sword without it exploding! :))

Yay! Creepers suck!
Guldylohx

Postby sahiel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 am

Guldylohx wrote:Yes you can make a mold for obsidian. You have to build it one block at a time, due to the source/flow mechanic I mentioned earlier, but it can be done.
Buckets can only be made from iron ingots. Bowls can be made from wooden planks, but those are only used in making mushroom soup.

Actually you can farm obsidian in larger amounts than a single block if you use redstone wiring, this forces a phase change when the lava/water meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQkEpf7-4M
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Guldylohx » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:26 am

sahiel wrote:Actually you can farm obsidian in larger amounts than a single block if you use redstone wiring, this forces a phase change when the lava/water meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQkEpf7-4M

That is a good catch, but it's technically a glitch. And he's asking about creating the obsidian in it's final shape without the need for a pickaxe, if I'm reading correctly. If not I stand corrected :D
Guldylohx

Postby Sanctity » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:46 am

You can make a portal without a diamond pick, just form the obsidian at the final location using buckets to move the lava and water. Have to be careful though as if you cock it up you won't be able to correct it!
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Kelaan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 am

I saw a video showing exactly that.

If you want to build a prototype next to it, you can do it with two different kinds of materials (wood+dirt, or whatever). Identify the Mold pieces, make those at each level, and so on. Pretty slick. I am looking forward to buying this game.
Kelaan

Postby Guldylohx » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Kelaan wrote:I saw a video showing exactly that.

If you want to build a prototype next to it, you can do it with two different kinds of materials (wood+dirt, or whatever). Identify the Mold pieces, make those at each level, and so on. Pretty slick. I am looking forward to buying this game.

If you like sandbox games, it'll be some of the best money you've ever spent.
Guldylohx

Postby Kelaan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I've felt like that for over six months. :) Preaching to the choir. Making time to do it is harder.
Kelaan

Postby Guldylohx » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 am

Halp Laterna! I haven't been able to connect for several days now! Did the IP change?
Guldylohx

Postby laterna » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:17 am

IP still the same, try now
laterna

Postby Guldylohx » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:56 am

Yay. Did you change the op list? I don't seem to have op privileges anymore.
Guldylohx

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum