Devil

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Devil

Postby Melathys » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:00 pm

ok. not sure if i'll see this or not...however...

I think most people agree that his ideas are good, if not necessarily the implementation. So...isn't this movie "from the mind of"? so, its his idea, but not really "his" movie?

I could be wrong, if so, disregard.
Melathys

Postby mew » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Melathys wrote:ok. not sure if i'll see this or not...however...

I think most people agree that his ideas are good, if not necessarily the implementation. So...isn't this movie "from the mind of"? so, its his idea, but not really "his" movie?

I could be wrong, if so, disregard.

Yeah, I think the thread got jacked. He only wrote it, if even that much. It might even just be based on something that he wrote.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Minnerva » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:33 pm

I got invited by samantha to go watch the movie, the story plot seems linear but this things made the move suddenly hit you in the back of the head during the twists. good movie I have to say.

Edit: I kept falling for the scary scenes.
Minnerva

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Seeing this tonight right after work. I didn't have much intention of seeing it, but this thread had some good points about it so I became a bit more interested.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Brutalicus wrote:Someone see this movie and summarize the plot on Wikipedia! I love reading the plots to movies I know I'll never see when I'm bored.

Also, Signs was awesome. Never saw any of Shyamamlalayayanan's other movies though.

http://themoviespoiler.com/
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Shoju wrote:3.) Signs -

That's not really the way I interpreted that twist, and maybe that makes a difference.

I don't think he's necessarily trying to hide the twists in his movies, particularly unbreakable and the village there were obvious clues purposely given. Granted, I didn't care for either of those movies much. Even in the Sixth Sense there were some good clues given out, but I don't think knowing the twist makes it a bad movie.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Shoju wrote:After what M. Night Shamalamahackjob did with The Last Airbender? Yes. I hate him. He was a mediocre writer with interesting stories before that, that could be hit or miss. But, even before TLA, he was bordering on inanity with his "IGOTTAPUTATWEESTINMAHMOOVEE" BS. It is there, in every stupid movie since the 6th sense. Then, he took one of the most awesome American Animation properties in recent memory and butchered it. Sorry, He is bad. I don't like him. 6th sense was cool, Unbreakable was kind of cool, Signs was.... 'eh', LitW was dreadful, the happening was abysmal.

He is as overrated as Quentin Tarantino.

What is overrated about Tarantino?

Edit: I decided to read the plot of the movie since I'm not going to see it. Not going to lie it sounds pretty boring and predictable but maybe I'm wrong.
Last edited by Lightbeard on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightbeard

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Flex wrote:
Brutalicus wrote:Someone see this movie and summarize the plot on Wikipedia! I love reading the plots to movies I know I'll never see when I'm bored.

Also, Signs was awesome. Never saw any of Shyamamlalayayanan's other movies though.

So Rosebud was the sled? It all adds up now!

Sorry I had to make that joke.
Lightbeard

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Flex wrote:

Woot, thank ye kindly. Doesn't seem like too bad a movie, though I personally can't get into movies whose outcomes you can predict. You know what, if I made a movie, it would be a zombie movie. And my characters would embark on a journey with little chance of survival, and a few of them make it to the end. Just when they're about to meet their bleak fates (like in the end of every zombie movie), they find a military outpost that isn't filled with psychopaths, and they fight off the zombies and rebuild soceity. That would stick it to bastards like me who go "lol, zombie movie. They get to Alaska and the zombies are just as hungry there, the end" when they see the trailer.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Melathys » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 am

the movie I want to make would be about 10 mins long. good guys meet bad guy (either, good guys say this is retarded and leave, or bad guy kills them) I'd then have to figure out what to do with the rest of the 70 mins.

(like, uh, that Jeepers Creepers (I think) movie. bad guy chases them down in a beat up truck. what if the retarded teens said screw you and floored their little sports car and left the bad guy behind?)

Or, make the beginning of the movie something like that, and the trailers show nothing but the first 10 mins, and after that the movie is something else entirely.
Melathys

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Saw the movie...

I found it worth seeing, but not worth going to a theatre... wait tell you can redbox it for like a dollar.

All the plot twisting is of course at the VERY end.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Shoju » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Lightbeard wrote:

Edit: I decided to read the plot of the movie since I'm not going to see it. Not going to lie it sounds pretty boring and predictable but maybe I'm wrong.

Pulp Fiction was a mediocre story with pretty interesting editing, this made many people think he was a genius and look at Kill Bill like it was some amazing pair of films, when in actuality they were very mediocre. Everyone calls Q.T. some genius and I just don't see it. His movies are interesting, and well worth catching at the dollar theatre (all movies 1 dollar) before they hit DvD, but I fail to see the genius behind them. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old, but there just isn't much to his flicks that make me think he deserves the praise that is heaped upon him by so many people
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 pm

His room in Four Rooms was pretty good though.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Shoju wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:

Pulp Fiction was a mediocre story with pretty interesting editing, this made many people think he was a genius and look at Kill Bill like it was some amazing pair of films, when in actuality they were very mediocre. Everyone calls Q.T. some genius and I just don't see it. His movies are interesting, and well worth catching at the dollar theatre (all movies 1 dollar) before they hit DvD, but I fail to see the genius behind them. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old, but there just isn't much to his flicks that make me think he deserves the praise that is heaped upon him by so many people

He's a genius at creating action movies not dramas. Kill Bill 2 I hated but Kill Bill 1 did have a pretty good story. I haven't watched all of Pulp Fiction so I can't comment on it.
Lightbeard

Postby ulushnar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Shoju wrote:Pulp Fiction was a mediocre story with pretty interesting editing, this made many people think he was a genius and look at Kill Bill like it was some amazing pair of films, when in actuality they were very mediocre.

Excuse me, but that's like saying "the Mona Lisa is just a woman sitting there not doing anything, it's only Da Vinci's technique that makes it interesting and memorable." In short, it misses the point. It's the memorable dialogue that folks are still quoting almost twenty years later, the way he weaves the stories into each other, the sheer flair and style of his direction and the density of homages and allusions he makes in his work.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum