Remove Advertisements

Devil

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Devil

Postby mew » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Has anyone seen it?
How was it?
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Devil

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:50 am

I'm torn between my interest to see who the devil is/what the twist is and my hatred for Shamafailure
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Devil

Postby mew » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:59 am

Lightbeard wrote:I'm torn between my interest to see who the devil is/what the twist is and my hatred for Shamafailure

M Night didn't direct it, he only wrote it. Based on facebook I have heard 2 out of 2 good things about it. Not a large sample but nothing negative.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Devil

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:05 am

mew wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:I'm torn between my interest to see who the devil is/what the twist is and my hatred for Shamafailure

M Night didn't direct it, he only wrote it. Based on facebook I have heard 2 out of 2 good things about it. Not a large sample but nothing negative.


I'm still skeptical. How exciting can a movie in an elevator be. It looks like it's going to be a horror movie that uses jump scares instead of building actual suspense. I think I'll give it a look though.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Devil

Postby mew » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:27 am

Lightbeard wrote:
mew wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:I'm torn between my interest to see who the devil is/what the twist is and my hatred for Shamafailure

M Night didn't direct it, he only wrote it. Based on facebook I have heard 2 out of 2 good things about it. Not a large sample but nothing negative.


I'm still skeptical. How exciting can a movie in an elevator be. It looks like it's going to be a horror movie that uses jump scares instead of building actual suspense. I think I'll give it a look though.

I heard it described as a "claustrophobic thriller".
And I can see him being involved in a good thriller movie, not horror though. I hated the previews, I thought they were just dumb, but that kind of a movie can be done well.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Devil

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:30 am

Did you see the trailer for the movie with the guy buried in a coffin with a lighter and cell phone? Looks like a better thriller tbh
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Devil

Postby Belloc » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:56 pm

I can't stand all the M. Night hate (even though he only came up with the idea for this movie -- he didn't write or direct it). Most of his films are legitimately good with only a few being misses. Even those movies were very well made, just without very strong stories. In fact, most people can't even give a good reason for disliking him -- they're just spouting off BS that they've heard critics say.

/rant

Anyway, I really want to see Devil.
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Re: Devil

Postby mew » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Belloc wrote:I can't stand all the M. Night hate (even though he only came up with the idea for this movie -- he didn't write or direct it). Most of his films are legitimately good with only a few being misses. Even those movies were very well made, just without very strong stories. In fact, most people can't even give a good reason for disliking him -- they're just spouting off BS that they've heard critics say.

/rant

Anyway, I really want to see Devil.

I like M Night too :) But I think I will still like him no matter how many bad movies he makes.
I think people tend to expect very specific things from his movies and so when they are very different or fail to meet those expectations people start to nerdrage.

I like the example of Lady in the Water. It was an entertaining movie, a very nice fantasy style story. It had some cheezy points (I can never get over the cereal box reading) but was overall a good movie. It was not a horror or psychological thriller movie that people tend to expect from him.

He's not outstanding, but he doesn't deserve all the rage directed towards him.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Devil

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Belloc wrote:I can't stand all the M. Night hate (even though he only came up with the idea for this movie -- he didn't write or direct it). Most of his films are legitimately good with only a few being misses. Even those movies were very well made, just without very strong stories. In fact, most people can't even give a good reason for disliking him -- they're just spouting off BS that they've heard critics say.

/rant

Anyway, I really want to see Devil.


M. Night focuses mainly in the thriller department. How can you have a good movie in that genre without a strong story? =/. In horror movies you can substitute a story for gore or get lucky with a memorable villain (like Child's play as an example).
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Devil

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Belloc wrote:I can't stand all the M. Night hate (even though he only came up with the idea for this movie -- he didn't write or direct it). Most of his films are legitimately good with only a few being misses. Even those movies were very well made, just without very strong stories. In fact, most people can't even give a good reason for disliking him -- they're just spouting off BS that they've heard critics say.

/rant

Anyway, I really want to see Devil.

I think it's because he tends to put his name prominently on things and of course usually has a bit piece in his own movies. I don't have any real hate for him, but his movies for me have been rather hit or miss significantly. I really liked Signs and The 6th Sense, but I haven't cared that much for his other works that I've seen.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Devil

Postby Pala » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Lightbeard wrote:Did you see the trailer for the movie with the guy buried in a coffin with a lighter and cell phone? Looks like a better thriller tbh


Did you hear of the movie where two guys are trapped in a parking garage stairwell for 20 minutes? Then it looks like a homeless guy is coming to kill them and it turns out to be the security guard. :)

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia had a funny episode about M. Night. A quote from an article: "Dee shows up and announces that she's going to be a "featured actress" in an M. Night Shyamalan film. When Frank asks, "What's an M. Night?" Charlie describes the filmmaker's signature twists, like how in "The Sixth Sense," "that dude with the hairpiece was Bruce Willis the whole time."

I can't say I dislike the guy or his movies. I haven't seen The Happening or The Last Airbender though which from all reports were his two lowest. But the others have been entertaining in one form or another.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
User avatar
Pala
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Devil

Postby Fivelives » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:48 am

I just don't like how his movies all have to have some sort of twist, and usually you can see them coming from ten miles away. He's also not that good at building suspense, at least in my opinion anyway.

Generally I consider his movies a waste of a perfectly good movie ticket.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Devil

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:18 am

Pala wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:Did you see the trailer for the movie with the guy buried in a coffin with a lighter and cell phone? Looks like a better thriller tbh


Did you hear of the movie where two guys are trapped in a parking garage stairwell for 20 minutes? Then it looks like a homeless guy is coming to kill them and it turns out to be the security guard. :)

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia had a funny episode about M. Night. A quote from an article: "Dee shows up and announces that she's going to be a "featured actress" in an M. Night Shyamalan film. When Frank asks, "What's an M. Night?" Charlie describes the filmmaker's signature twists, like how in "The Sixth Sense," "that dude with the hairpiece was Bruce Willis the whole time."

I can't say I dislike the guy or his movies. I haven't seen The Happening or The Last Airbender though which from all reports were his two lowest. But the others have been entertaining in one form or another.


A movie about people trapped in a parking garage stairwell? *headsplode*
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Devil

Postby ulushnar » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 am

Belloc wrote:I can't stand all the M. Night hate (even though he only came up with the idea for this movie -- he didn't write or direct it). Most of his films are legitimately good with only a few being misses. Even those movies were very well made, just without very strong stories. In fact, most people can't even give a good reason for disliking him -- they're just spouting off BS that they've heard critics say.

/rant

Anyway, I really want to see Devil.


Well c'mon, he kinda set himself up for it when he not only wrote an author-insertion character of a visionary author who will one day save the world into The Lady in the Water, but played the role himself too. Not to mention including a strawman critic character in the movie who's only purpose is to be hated, wrong and die...

Yeah...
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Re: Devil

Postby mew » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:51 am

ulushnar wrote:
Belloc wrote:I can't stand all the M. Night hate (even though he only came up with the idea for this movie -- he didn't write or direct it). Most of his films are legitimately good with only a few being misses. Even those movies were very well made, just without very strong stories. In fact, most people can't even give a good reason for disliking him -- they're just spouting off BS that they've heard critics say.

/rant

Anyway, I really want to see Devil.


Well c'mon, he kinda set himself up for it when he not only wrote an author-insertion character of a visionary author who will one day save the world into The Lady in the Water, but played the role himself too. Not to mention including a strawman critic character in the movie who's only purpose is to be hated, wrong and die...

Yeah...
I didn't like how his LitW character was actually a major plot point. But I did like his self insertion in The Sixth Sense where he was just some random jeweler or something.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest