Forum Game: Love it/Hate it

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Forum Game: Love it/Hate it

Postby Solare » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Rhivath wrote:Movie I love:
X-Men 2
The opening part with Nightcrawler was downright badass, as is Nightcrawler in general during the film, and while the plot seemed to start to unravel a bit near the end (leading into the pretty horrible X-Men 3) it was still enjoyable and I'd say pretty close to the first one in enjoyment.

Movie I hate:
Beverly Hills Chihuahua
Do I need an explanation? I watched bits of it and most of the end and my brain literally hurt from the mediocre attempts at humor and action they had in this movie, and it's just added to the lists of horrible "live action" animal films (the guinea pig one anyone?)
Movie I (indirectly) love:

Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Actually, I hate this movie as well, but my father and stepmother completely love it. They have a couple of chihuahuas (and most every other animal that might have been on Noah's Ark) and find the notion of talking animal movies to be delightful, and whimsically irrelevant. Older people tend to prefer the whimsical either because they've had or have enough drama in their own lives that they don't need to spend their free time imagining they're dealing with someone else's problems, or they're just largely whimsically irrelevant people themselves. And since I have half of my father's genetic information, on a genetic level, I love this movie half as much as he does. I imagine my children one day will feel the same way about my love for films despite how they can beam movies directly into your brain at that point or how it's seen as wholly useless to waste your time on "surficial fictional nonsense" or something.

Movie I hate:

District 9

I didn't so much hate this film as I hated the direction taken with the "main" character, Wikus. Wikus is an awful human being by all standards of measurement. He's a boorish, unintelligent weasel lacking all grace of social skills, leadership, physical prowess, and above all else; he's a selfish, unimaginative sniveling coward. And throughout the movie, despite the radical circumstances he is propelled into, little changes about him. Whereas we would normally see a massively upward-reaching character arch, he stays mostly Wikus. Only at the end is there a heartbeat of "change" and even this is really just a self-serving series of actions. You spend the entire film identifying with the aliens, which might have been the director's intention all along, but even still; Wikus murdered District 9 for me. Even as a literally tool, Wikus failed horribly.
Solare

Re: Forum Game: Love it/Hate it

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Movie I Love: District 9
I disagree with you on the point on Wikus and his character but I won't get into that. I enjoyed the first part of the movie that focused on racism a ton (sadly it went into a shoot-em up at the end). I thought it was really well done though.

Movie I Hate: My Baby's Daddy
It tried but it just wasn't funny at all.
Lightbeard

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum