knowledge of game engines

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

knowledge of game engines

Postby Minnerva » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:20 pm

created the area, and models. anyone knows a game engine that supports random combat appearance like final fantasy 7 and 8. crystal tools doesn't work for this type of transitions. anyone knows a game engine i can use that will support this?

an example would be, you enter an area and a random encounter is triggered, it will load a new platform supporting options and turn base combat.
Minnerva
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm not sure what you're trying to do but if it involves random monster encounters it can't end well as they are pure evil.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Minnerva » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Lightbeard wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to do but if it involves random monster encounters it can't end well as they are pure evil.


random monster encounter would be when the computer rolls the a number, and spawns an encounter were you move your primary model. environmental encounters would be like in Warcraft were the mob is just walking around.
Minnerva
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Minnerva wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to do but if it involves random monster encounters it can't end well as they are pure evil.


random monster encounter would be when the computer rolls the a number, and spawns an encounter were you move your primary model. environmental encounters would be like in Warcraft were the mob is just walking around.


That's exactly what I'm talking about. Random Monster Encounters are the work of the devil. Just finished playing Skies of Arcadia Legends again. Sucks having to fight 5 guys when I'm trying to get a treasure chest :(.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby hoho » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:55 pm

"Game engine" is so wide term that it's pretty much impossible to know what you actually need.
Minnerva wrote:created the area, and models. anyone knows a game engine that supports random combat appearance like final fantasy 7 and 8. crystal tools doesn't work for this type of transitions. anyone knows a game engine i can use that will support this?
So basically you have created a bunch of models and expect to throw them to some engine that would magically make a game out of them? Not going to happen, you'll need to get your hands dirty and actually write code to make things work and that's with any engine.

Perhaps you should look at game mods and modding instead?


Also, random encounters are awesome. I got my 2mm rifles with enough ammo to last a few lifetimes in Fallout 2 that way long before I got my car.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Minnerva » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:14 pm

hoho wrote:"Game engine" is so wide term that it's pretty much impossible to know what you actually need.
Minnerva wrote:created the area, and models. anyone knows a game engine that supports random combat appearance like final fantasy 7 and 8. crystal tools doesn't work for this type of transitions. anyone knows a game engine i can use that will support this?
So basically you have created a bunch of models and expect to throw them to some engine that would magically make a game out of them? Not going to happen, you'll need to get your hands dirty and actually write code to make things work and that's with any engine.

Perhaps you should look at game mods and modding instead?


Also, random encounters are awesome. I got my 2mm rifles with enough ammo to last a few lifetimes in Fallout 2 that way long before I got my car.


I know scripting, a bit of it. since in game design I specialized in modeling so i have the basics of scripting, and animation. I found one that might work for me, uses C++.

http://www.torquepowered.com/products/torque-3d

the game engine we learned in school was crystal tools but its a very limited game engine
Minnerva
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Vanifae » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Make an awesome game.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby hoho » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Could someone describe the "supports random combat appearance" part for me? I've yet to play any FF game so I have no clue what that means.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:51 pm

When you walk around on an overworld map, you may or may not trigger a "random battle" that then transitions the game over to a battle screen. You take part in a turn based combat sequence, then return to the map and continue on.
Here's a handy flash video to help explain the process: http://vgp.legendaryfrog.com/movies_aarb_w.php
Image
The Seeker.
User avatar
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4529
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am
Location: Malorne

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Aubade » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:53 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:When you walk around on an overworld map, you may or may not trigger a "random battle" that then transitions the game over to a battle screen. You take part in a turn based combat sequence, then return to the map and continue on.
Here's a handy flash video to help explain the process: http://vgp.legendaryfrog.com/movies_aarb_w.php



Doesn't have to be turn-based combat. Look at Skies of Arcadia (Awesome Game BTW.)
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4877
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby RedAces » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 am

hey,

I once played a game made with the RPG Maker 2000, maybe this will help you? The only english site I found was http://gaminggroundzero.com/ (or if you speak german: http://rpg2000.4players.de/index.php?inhalt=header2 ).

Bye, RedAces.
Image
User avatar
RedAces
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Germany

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby hoho » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:30 am

From the sounds of it you'd need almost a complete game that you'd want to customize for your needs. Pretty sure there is no off-the-shelf engine where you can get stuff like that with minimum amount of redesigning-customization on the engine.

Though you might try Unreal engine, they have a free license for non-commercial stuff IIRC and it should be pretty much the very best there is out there atm in both features, tool support and ease of use.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 am

Aubade wrote:Doesn't have to be turn-based combat. Look at Skies of Arcadia (Awesome Game BTW.)

Yeah, that's true. The Tales games weren't turn based either.
Image
The Seeker.
User avatar
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4529
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am
Location: Malorne

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Arnock » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:12 am

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:T ... ngine/BSoD


You might be able to try blender's game engine. Haven't really had any experience with it however, so not sure how well it'll work for you.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: knowledge of game engines

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:05 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
Aubade wrote:Doesn't have to be turn-based combat. Look at Skies of Arcadia (Awesome Game BTW.)

Yeah, that's true. The Tales games weren't turn based either.


Tals of Symphonia still remains my favorite RPG
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm


Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: degre and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: degre and 1 guest