Remove Advertisements

Moral dilemma

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Moral dilemma

Postby Shathus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:26 am

What about when you get something from the vending machine and TWO items fall instead of one? Clearly you have to report the 2nd item to your manager, otherwise you have to report it on your taxes =P

Ok... I should really do some work now...
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby edsdame » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 am

Shathus wrote:
It's possible the rogue change was tagged with a tracer, and the owner of the money will hunt you down for it.

Or it will blow up into your face marking you with green ink!
edsdame

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:07 am

I fail to see the moral dilemma here. I refer you to the doctrine of finders vs keepers.
Invisusira

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:53 am

Shathus wrote:What about when you get something from the vending machine and TWO items fall instead of one? Clearly you have to report the 2nd item to your manager, otherwise you have to report it on your taxes =P

Ok... I should really do some work now...

When the second item falls, it's just making up for when you paid before and didn't get the item.

Yeah, finders-keepers in this case. The email will just show you who the greedy saps are that come for change when it wasn't theirs.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Dorvan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 am

Sharlos wrote:Perfectly fine as long as you don't know who left the money there and can't reasonably give it back to them.

^^ Surely this. In this case, the amount of money is so trivial that the value of the employee time you'd consume sending out an email or something would far exceed that of the change. If you saw a person walking away from the vending machine as as noticed then sure, it'd be polite to flag them down, but this situation is too trivially small for an action beyond that.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Blackharon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 am

Dorvan wrote:
Sharlos wrote:Perfectly fine as long as you don't know who left the money there and can't reasonably give it back to them.

^^ Surely this. In this case, the amount of money is so trivial that the value of the employee time you'd consume sending out an email or something would far exceed that of the change. If you saw a person walking away from the vending machine as as noticed then sure, it'd be polite to flag them down, but this situation is too trivially small for an action beyond that.

Which begs the question - what amount of money isn't small enough to warrant an email. If you look at it from an employee time value, at a large company this number becomes infinite. However if you look at it from a personal level, losing $100, $50 or even $10 is more than enough cash for you to seek rewards in karma levels.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am

IMO we need Theckd in here to graph out morality vs triviality vs effort to get to the bottom of this.
Invisusira

Postby vertinog » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:59 am

Dorvan wrote:

Also who is to say that only the person who didn't grab their change would respond to the e-mail stating it is theirs.
vertinog

Postby Dorvan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:22 am

Blackharon wrote:Which begs the question - what amount of money isn't small enough to warrant an email. If you look at it from an employee time value, at a large company this number becomes infinite. However if you look at it from a personal level, losing $100, $50 or even $10 is more than enough cash for you to seek rewards in karma levels.

Realistically speaking: if it's something more significant, the best move for any found item situation is to hand it over to some sort of lost and found. If the lost item was of importance, the person losing it will seek out the lost and found and recover what they've lost. You also don't have to use everyone's time by sending an email in order for this to work. Finally, false claims aren't much of an issue because no one else is aware that something was even lost.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Blackharon wrote:Which begs the question - what amount of money isn't small enough to warrant an email. If you look at it from an employee time value, at a large company this number becomes infinite. However if you look at it from a personal level, losing $100, $50 or even $10 is more than enough cash for you to seek rewards in karma levels.

If you find a $20+ in the break room, bring it back and put it in an envelope. E-mail people and say, "Found some money; if it's yours, please tell me the denomination and where you think you lost it." If no one claims it, donate it to the office snack fund, or something. If more than one person claims it, have them sort it out themselves, I guess... ick. Ugly situation. Either way, though, you shouldn't be pocketing it.

If you find $1 or a few quarters, put them on the counter next to it, and/or tape it to a paper saying, "Found this change near the ___. If it's yours, enjoy; if not, I trust you'll leave it for the rightful owner." This avoids you being the one to pocket it wrongly, even if it doesn't protect about Some Jerk taking free money when he next goes to get a coke. You could also just anonymously donate it to the office snack fund, if you have a contributory snack arrangement at your office.
Kelaan

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 pm

/moved
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arnock » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:15 pm

It's serious business
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Barathorn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 am

I demand a graph of posts made per day vs level of pointlessness for the OP.

Theck, get to it!

:lol:
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Levantine » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:28 am

Silly Barathorn. Vertical lines don't make for very interesting graphs.
Levantine

Postby Invisusira » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 am

Fridmarr wrote:/moved

Invisusira

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum