Remove Advertisements

StarCraft II - Ghosts of the Past

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: StarCraft II - Ghosts of the Past

Postby Sarevok » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 pm

I love their campaign missions. I get to upgrade my units and research abilities :D There are also minigames you can play hehe
Sarevok

Postby hoho » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:21 am

I've completed the campaign now, all on hard except the last mission. I missed a bit too many extra mission goals so my upgrades were minimal and I'm sure that caused quite a few problems. Awesome game, anyone who ever have liked any RTS should definitely get it.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Passionario » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:10 am

In Utter Darkness is the best "hold the line/last stand" mission ever.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:14 am

The campaign is really fun. It also doesn't prep you for... anything. Walked in to a 2v2 against AI opponents and stood there like an idiot wondering why I couldn't train Medics. Took me a couple seconds to remember Medivacs.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:44 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:The campaign is really fun. It also doesn't prep you for... anything.
That's what challenges are for ;)

I thought I was a decent player until I failed the basic quick expansion thingy. I tried at least 5x but still didn't make the gold and always missed around a minute or so. Hint: you will need at least 3 factories and 2 barracks pumping out tanks and ghosts, third barrack doing marines two at a time to make it. On the other hand I nailed the "survive early rush" on second try with gold. Bunker jumping FTW :D
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby ZombieRitual » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:46 am

Finished the campaign on Saturday, really left me wanting to start the Zerg campaign already! I am also....not the best at SC2 haha. I've also been playing through the old SC1 vanilla campaign to re-experience the story. (Bought the CE, and wow the install was fast from the usb drive!) The unit movement AI is so bad after playing SC2. It's just terrible, don't remember it being like that from back in the day.
ZombieRitual

Postby Chicken » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

ZombieRitual wrote:Finished the campaign on Saturday, really left me wanting to start the Zerg campaign already! I am also....not the best at SC2 haha. I've also been playing through the old SC1 vanilla campaign to re-experience the story. (Bought the CE, and wow the install was fast from the usb drive!) The unit movement AI is so bad after playing SC2. It's just terrible, don't remember it being like that from back in the day.
As far as I'm aware the pathfinding basically doesn't exist in the original game. Computers simply weren't good enough 12 years ago to handle pathfinding for the amount of units you can have at once.
Chicken

Postby Invisusira » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:53 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Walked in to a 2v2 against AI opponents and stood there like an idiot wondering why I couldn't train Medics. Took me a couple seconds to remember Medivacs.

I was a bit surprised at how, like, ALL of the stuff from SC1 that they took out for SC2 was there in the single player campaign. For sure a bit distracting if you're trying to hop into multiplayer.
Cannae wait for the next installment!!
Invisusira

Postby Krazed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:38 am

I miss mah dragoons :(. I don't like some of the new units.
Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live - Dream Theater
Krazed

Postby hoho » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 am

Krazed wrote:I miss mah dragoons :(

Lurker > dragoon :(

Though I admit infestors are rather awesome as well.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Dianora » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 am

One issue seemed to have cropped up. Starcraft 2 if left to be maximum video setting could potentially overheat the GPU. My brother was noticing how much louder my computer was when I'm playing Starcraft 2. It would appear that Blizzard forgot to capped frame refresh rate. The fix is to edit the setting file and capped the frame refresh to whatever your monitor supports. Go to the directory you've Starcraft 2 installed, and locate "variables.txt" file. Possible directory may be this "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt". Once you're at the .txt file, add following:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Io.Draco » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 am

They got the girl from Starcraft: Ghost in SC2 giving a brief appearance! Hell yeah!
Io.Draco

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Dianora wrote:frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Thanks for that -- I've had to remove my case's side panel, which dropped the temp 20 degrees. Eep.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm

Dianora wrote:One issue seemed to have cropped up. Starcraft 2 if left to be maximum video setting could potentially overheat the GPU. My brother was noticing how much louder my computer was when I'm playing Starcraft 2. It would appear that Blizzard forgot to capped frame refresh rate. The fix is to edit the setting file and capped the frame refresh to whatever your monitor supports. Go to the directory you've Starcraft 2 installed, and locate "variables.txt" file. Possible directory may be this "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt". Once you're at the .txt file, add following:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60
Another way to fix this issue seems to just be enabling V-Sync in the graphics options, since that has the same effect basically.

Edit:

ZombieRitual wrote:Finished the campaign on Saturday, really left me wanting to start the Zerg campaign already! I am also....not the best at SC2 haha.
Finished the campaign too today, definitely curious what direction they'll take things considering how the Terran campaign ends.
Chicken

Postby Dianora » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:14 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Dianora wrote:frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Thanks for that -- I've had to remove my case's side panel, which dropped the temp 20 degrees. Eep.

I usually play with a fully enclosed headset, so I really didn't notice it. My brother point it out to me that my computer's fan is running 10-15 decibel louder than usual. Fortunately by then I've finished the campaign mode. Now onto finishing Loremaster of Northrend for my 2 clothie toons.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum