Remove Advertisements

This is some COLD logic

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: This is some COLD logic

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 am

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I am talking specifically about these lighter crimes and the likelihood imprisonment won't stop them from doing it again after they leave. The current system doesn't solve anything, just puts the problem on hold.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:58 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I am talking specifically about these lighter crimes and the likelihood imprisonment won't stop them from doing it again after they leave. The current system doesn't solve anything, just puts the problem on hold.

Maybe for an individual. Statistically, I guarantee that even for these lighter crimes, the deterrent factor is important enough on its own. There would be more people using marijuana if it were legal, simply because obtaining it would get easier. Similar to alcohol use, I would think.

So while in some of those cases, the incarceration doesn't actually "solve" the person's problem, it does still act as a deterrent. And even the argument that it doesn't "solve" the problem isn't certain - from what I've heard there are support/therapy group type things for minor crimes. I'm sure those don't have wonderful efficiency ratings, but every few people that it does help is a few more that may not end up back inside.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:16 am

I wonder how apeshit America would go if alcohol was outlawed for 2 weeks
Lightbeard

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 am

Simpsons did it.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby gtechman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 am

theckhd wrote:
gtechman wrote:Most folks on here are saying "born Gay" like it is a proven fact or something. I am pretty sure it is just a theory.

Hypothesis dammit.

Remember kids, every time someone misuses the word "theory," Theck strangles a kitten.

This public service announcement brought to you by real scientists that are sick of creationists corrupting their terminology.

Are you talking about that crazy Theory of Evolution again?

I know how to stir Theck up :shock:

/popcorn
gtechman

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 am

Lightbeard wrote:I wonder how apeshit America would go if alcohol was outlawed for 2 weeks

It's called Prohibition and it happened for 13 years in the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitio ... ted_States
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby gtechman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 am

Lightbeard wrote:I wonder how apeshit America would go if alcohol was outlawed for 2 weeks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States
gtechman

Postby Invisusira » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 am

LFL!! haven't seen you around in a while
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 am

gtechman wrote:

Too slow old man! TOO SLOW!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:48 am

I tend to side with the philosophy that everyone to some extent is bi. Some people just come to terms with it easier than others.

When someone talks to me about sexuality, I always seem to revert to what is visually appealing to me. Ask yourself when you are at a mall, or out and about people watching, what gender catches your eye more frequently?

That might seem shallow, but we are talking about sexuality not who i would have a long term relationship with, or sleep with for more than a night.

If you are honest with yourself both genders for different reasons will catch your eye.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:50 am

Nikachelle wrote:
gtechman wrote:

I mean in today's day and age. So no LFL bad invis! *smacks with newspaper*
Lightbeard

Postby gtechman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:51 am

Nikachelle wrote:
gtechman wrote:

OMG...you been talking to Theck.

Old is a state of mind 8)
gtechman

Postby Passionario » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:44 pm

theckhd wrote:I'm not sure where you get "dumb" out of that. The logic seems pretty straightforward to me. If someone does something to actively disrupt the system, the solution is to stop that from happening. Can you think of another way to do so without removing, incarcerating, or rehabilitating them?

I chose weed as an example instead of, say, murder, because you could come up with moral arguments for why you shouldn't murder someone even if it weren't illegal. I don't think you can come up with a credible moral argument for why you'd avoid pot if it were legal.

How, exactly, does smoking weed "actively disrupt the system"? It's about as close to the definition of victimless crime as it gets. :?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Not if your approach to addiction is that of a disease.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Passionario wrote:
theckhd wrote:I'm not sure where you get "dumb" out of that. The logic seems pretty straightforward to me. If someone does something to actively disrupt the system, the solution is to stop that from happening. Can you think of another way to do so without removing, incarcerating, or rehabilitating them?

I chose weed as an example instead of, say, murder, because you could come up with moral arguments for why you shouldn't murder someone even if it weren't illegal. I don't think you can come up with a credible moral argument for why you'd avoid pot if it were legal.

How, exactly, does smoking weed "actively disrupt the system"? It's about as close to the definition of victimless crime as it gets. :?

I was a complete pot head before the military straightened me out, and I assure you it A)made me do some stupid things B)ate up a ton of what would otherwise been productive time with completely non-productive actions (or non-action) and C)wasted a ton of my money.
Actively disrupting the system can be as simple as turning an otherwise productive, contributing member of society into a non-productive one.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum