Remove Advertisements

This is why games are pirated so heavily.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: This is why games are pirated so heavily.

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:53 am

Io.Draco wrote:And whenever did I say I wasn't selfish? I wasn't pretending not be a very selfish person, because I am.

Well glad to hear it now stop making excuses for it, stop hiding behind copyright laws, or semantics, and anything else.

I get it, you get it, and the issue won't get resolved.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:55 am

Io.Draco wrote:If they want compensation, then they should make something worth compensating. While I do have Dragon Age bought, and I do feel it is a solid enough game to buy, I do not feel the same way for a great deal of games.

If it's not worth buying, it's not worth playing. It's more than a little disingenuous to play a game and then say "nah it wasn't *really* that good, definitely not worth my money".

That kind of self-entitlement is what I think Vanifae is getting at....that someone has the right to whatever entertainment they want, but that getting paid for producing such content is a privilege. People should be able to charge whatever they want for the product of their labor, and others should be free to decide it's worth the money or to pass it up and get something else instead.

The whole "I'm clearly in a position to impartially judge how much something is worth to me" line is a bunch of BS.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 am

Dorvan is correct in my assertions.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Thornir » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 am

It's like walking into a grocery store, taking a huge bite out of an apple, then saying "Ugh! That was disgusting!" and then throwing it back. It's just outright rude to the farmer who grew the apple. The proper way, imo, is to buy the apple, take a bite, throw it away, and THEN never buy from the farmer again, because now you know that the farmer doesn't produce quality food. But even though the famer is terrible with his produce, that does not give you the right to steal from him.

The problem is, human beings, as a whole, are attracted to free stuff, morals be damned.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 am

Morals? "Laughs"

The world is a jungle, and life is especially hard in a country like mine.

Excuse me if I could give a flying crap about these so called "morals" of yours regarding purchasing games. I will show respect to a company by buying their game if I feel they deserve it, and not before.
Io.Draco

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:18 am

Io.Draco wrote:Morals? "Laughs"

The world is a jungle, and life is especially hard in a country like mine.

Excuse me if I could give a flying crap about these so called "morals" of yours regarding purchasing games. I will show respect to a company by buying their game if I feel they deserve it, and not before.

I think we are done here.
Vanifae

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:24 am

We where done here the moment you called anyone who pirates a thief. Just because a viewpoint doesn't sit well with you doesn't make it invalid. I can understand perfectly your views, I just so happen to not agree with them.

And yes, there is a massive difference between simply disagreeing with a viewpoint and just simply claiming it is completely invalid.
Io.Draco

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:28 am

You freely admit to downloading things without paying for them and you do so gladly and with pride. I have no idea what else to call you but a thief.

I can call a writer who takes other people's work and shows it as his own a plagiarist or a thief, it's the same thing.

You may not like the title but it is what it is.
Vanifae

Postby Tenaka » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 am

Io.Draco wrote:We where done here the moment you called anyone who pirates a thief. Just because a viewpoint doesn't sit well with you doesn't make it invalid. I can understand perfectly your views, I just so happen to not agree with them.

And yes, there is a massive difference between simply disagreeing with a viewpoint and just simply claiming it is completely invalid.

No matter how you cleverly employ the use of the English language and/or understanding of legalese, anyone with common sense can see that obtaining something, or a copy of, where the owner has not given you permission to do so, is theft.

As has been said, you can justify it in your own mind however you like but you cannot change what it is.
Tenaka

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:33 am

No matter how you cleverly employ the use of the English language and/or understanding of legalese, anyone with common sense can see that obtaining something, or a copy of, where the owner has not given you permission to do so, is theft.

As has been said, you can justify it in your own mind however you like but you cannot change what it is.

Oh yes, certainly making a copy of a CD is theft, certainly.

View it as you like, but do not claim it is a fact just because it is your opinion, because it is not a fact.
Io.Draco

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 am

How is it not a fact?

If I willingly download a movie I have not purchase, or video game, or book, or any other intellectual property I did not legally acquire it is theft.

Or infringement or whatever legalese term you decide to cook up.

The fact remains a product I did not legally acquire is in my possession and I have no intentions of acquiring it legally.
Vanifae

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 am

Vanifae wrote:How is it not a fact?

If I willingly download a movie I have not purchase, or video game, or book, or any other intellectual property I did not legally acquire it is theft.

The fact remains a product I did not legally acquire is in my possession and I have no intentions of acquiring it legally.

Perfectly legal in some countries to acquire the product that way. Illegal in others. The reality about pirating isn't so simple as you make it out to be and it's just plain ignorance to declare pirating = to theft.
Last edited by Io.Draco on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Io.Draco

Postby Tenaka » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 am

Io.Draco wrote:

Oh yes, certainly making a copy of a CD is theft, certainly.

View it as you like, but do not claim it is a fact just because it is your opinion, because it is not a fact.

Personally I do not believe I have claimed it to be fact, and if I have it was not intended.

Are you discussing piracy, why it occurs and whether it is indeed theft, or are you still trying to catch people out via their use/mis-use of the English language?
Tenaka

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 am

Io.Draco wrote:
Vanifae wrote:How is it not a fact?

Perfectly legal in some countries to acquire the product that way. Illegal in others. The reality about pirating isn't so simple as you make it out to be.

We already established it's not legal in yours.

Or maybe I was mistaken, you did cite a copyright law that Dorvan corrected you on.
Vanifae

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:41 am

Io.Draco wrote:Perfectly legal in some countries to acquire the product that way. Illegal in others. The reality about pirating isn't so simple as you make it out to be and it's just plain ignorance to declare pirating = to theft.

I don't think ignorant means what you seem to be using it for here unless you just want to use a negative term to counter the term of theft.

If you want semantics sure let's find the exact term that covers this activity, but if you want reality theft covers this action quite well.
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum