Remove Advertisements

This is why games are pirated so heavily.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

This is why games are pirated so heavily.

Postby Io.Draco » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Ok. So here we are about 8 days before SC 2 official release...and the game has already been leaked to torrents. Without a crack of course, but if it's not out in 1-2 days I will bite my hat off.

In all honesty could anyone blame a fan of Starcraft for downloading the game off the torrents because he/she can't wait for it to come out officially and for their pre-order to arrive?

But here is the flip side, there are going to be many people who were eager to get the game official but did not pre-order....what will happen is that quite a few people will simply get the pirated game and won't bother buying it until they get very bored of the campaign and want to try out multiplayer, many won't even bother with buying it.

So GG Blizzard...this happened to Mass Effect 2 as well ( leaked to torrents with crack and all four days before release ).
Io.Draco

Re: This is why games are pirated so heavily.

Postby Vanifae » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:28 pm

The biggest issue with piracy is that the internet provides fast free anonymous access to data.

The end.

Distribution methods will not change this.

Edit: Secondly just because something is free illegally, does not mean I can't control myself and not just avoid that and purcahse the legal product. Personal culpability here should not be ignored.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Money is the main reason, in any media.
Here, for example. Music discs generally sell for 20 to 30 bucks, which means almost none sells because the pirate ones are like 5.
Then every now and then a genius thinks "hey what if I sell it for a reasonable price like 10?" and does that and sells almost five times more than normal.

Games here are egregious. all imported games are due a 76% import tax on top of the currency exchanges, so a single game can cost more than a month's worth of basic food. So everyone goes and buys a pirate for 10 bucks(15 if it's a blueray)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Money is the main reason, in any media.
Here, for example. Music discs generally sell for 20 to 30 bucks, which means almost none sells because the pirate ones are like 5.
Then every now and then a genius thinks "hey what if I sell it for a reasonable price like 10?" and does that and sells almost five times more than normal.

Games here are egregious. all imported games are due a 76% import tax on top of the currency exchanges, so a single game can cost more than a month's worth of basic food. So everyone goes and buys a pirate for 10 bucks(15 if it's a blueray)

But that is Brazilian Economy in the US people don't really have that excuse games do not normally cost your month's salary unless you make 60 dollars a month which would be insane for any full time working adult.

In the States they may be "inflated" but they are affordable but most people just pirate because they can and it takes little actual proficiency to do so.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:48 pm

There's that too...the Fuckwad-Anonimity Paradigm is a tough one.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

But that is Brazilian Economy in the US people don't really have that excuse games do not normally cost your month's salary unless you make 60 dollars a month which would be insane for any full time working adult.

In the States they may be "inflated" but they are affordable but most people just pirate because they can and it takes little actual proficiency to do so.

I admit that's true for US, but here in my country we have an average salary of about 350 $....and they are about to be dropped by 25% with new Government Measures and Taxes are increasing.

Piracy is not the heaviest in the USA, but other countries.
Io.Draco

Postby amh » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:55 pm

New games cost about $95 over here. Piracy is ridiculously common.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 pm

It is legal in my country to get games of torrent sites. It is however illegal to upload torrent files to such sites though or to sell pirated games. ( I read the entire Law on Copyright just to make sure of this. )
Io.Draco

Postby Vanifae » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:36 pm

Io.Draco wrote:It is legal in my country to get games of torrent sites. It is however illegal to upload torrent files to such sites though or to sell pirated games. ( I read the entire Law on Copyright just to make sure of this. )

What country is this?
Vanifae

Postby hoho » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Vanifae wrote:What country is this?
I have no idea where he lives but for personal use it's legal to download any app/music/film in Estonia too, you just shouldn't upload anything (p2p = piracy).

If steam had more games in it I'd definitely love it. Over past half a year I've got well over 50 games from there, mostly because of their insane special offers where games cost less than third their shop-price.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Io.Draco » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:02 am

hoho wrote:
Vanifae wrote:What country is this?
I have no idea where he lives but for personal use it's legal to download any app/music/film in Estonia too, you just shouldn't upload anything (p2p = piracy).

If steam had more games in it I'd definitely love it. Over past half a year I've got well over 50 games from there, mostly because of their insane special offers where games cost less than third their shop-price.

Same law holds in Romania ( where I am from ). It's very easy to download something off torrents without uploading anything.
Io.Draco

Postby hoho » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 am

Io.Draco wrote:It's very easy to download something off torrents without uploading anything.
Yes, it's easy. Proving that you haven't uploaded anything is a whole different matter though.

Also, here in Estonia police or anyone else can't really do anything about home-pirates anyway as they'll need loads of paperwork before they can even enter your home, not to mention search/confiscate your PC so basically no one cares about being pirates.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Ilara » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:36 am

Pay to support games that are awesome so we get more games that are awesome.

I bought ME2 first day and love the absolute shit out of that series.

Despite loving SC1 and BW to bits back in the days, -srsly had friends over like every week playing the hell outta it via two/more compys - I have not pre ordered it, nor find any real interest. >.> I WOULD borrow it off a friend after he's done with it to see if I like it but... owait, bnet accounts too, rite? yae!

Unless someone has some surprising information that has slipped past me, thats pretty much how I'll stay.
Half in silent protest of no LAN, half just not caring anymore.
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby Io.Draco » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:44 am

hoho wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:It's very easy to download something off torrents without uploading anything.
Yes, it's easy. Proving that you haven't uploaded anything is a whole different matter though.

Also, here in Estonia police or anyone else can't really do anything about home-pirates anyway as they'll need loads of paperwork before they can even enter your home, not to mention search/confiscate your PC so basically no one cares about being pirates.

True enough on both accounts. I admit I did not know that downloading was legal until 2 days ago ( when I read the entire copyright law out of sheer boredom ) but I could care less. Police has far bigger issues then trying to track everyone who downloaded stuff off torrents and trying to convict them. You can only prove someone downloaded/uploaded something ( I think, not certain though ) by either checking their PC to see if it's there and if it isn't then you have to go to the torrent site to ask. Well good luck with that!

Somehow I very very much doubt a warrant would be issued to search the PC of someone who merely downloaded illegal stuff for their personal use. If they uploaded a lot of stuff, now that's different.

Pay to support games that are awesome so we get more games that are awesome.

I am sorry, but I could give a shit about supporting games when it costs about 1/5 of my monthly income while in a deep economic crisis. I stopped playing WoW because of similar reasons ( in part at least ).
Io.Draco

Postby Ilara » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:50 am

:) and that's why a decent game is few and far between these days. easier for them to pump out absolute shit.
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum