Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:56 am

Vanifae wrote:I support original non-remakes, still probably in my eyes the best original film of the summer.

I agree that the concept was original... for a movie. Unfortunately, I've read books that used the same initial concept but had the benefit of actually being a novel and developing that theme a lot better. I think, aside from my dislike of DiCaprio, is I kept picturing books I had read that had done this concept far better. (Not overly fair for judging a movie since it has too many constraints, particularly with time.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:58 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Vanifae wrote:I support original non-remakes, still probably in my eyes the best original film of the summer.

I agree that the concept was original... for a movie. Unfortunately, I've read books that used the same initial concept but had the benefit of actually being a novel and developing that theme a lot better. I think, aside from my dislike of DiCaprio, is I kept picturing books I had read that had done this concept far better. (Not overly fair for judging a movie since it has too many constraints, particularly with time.)

Books also benefit from building on your own internal imagination.

For a 2 hour "blockbuster" it's about as deep as you will get.

On a side note it beat out Salt this weekend, the Angelina Jolie movie.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Invisusira » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:59 am

It's so facking rare to see a truly original movie that isn't a sequel or a remake or "based on _____." Like, think about it. There are so few films that meet those requirements.
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:02 am

Vanifae wrote:Books also benefit from building on your own internal imagination.

For a 2 hour "blockbuster" it's about as deep as you will get.

On a side note it beat out Salt this weekend, the Angelina Jolie movie.

We had a bit of a toss up over which one to see this weekend. I was more interested in seeing Salt, because I mind Jolie far more visually appealing and entertaining that I do DiCaprio, but EVERYONE had been talking about Inception so I figured that was the better choice.

Like it's just been mentioned about original movies... yes, thank god it IS fresh. Unlike the poster we saw for Scream 4 in the theater. /facepalm
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 am

Nikachelle wrote:Saw Inception. Wasn't overly impressed. The concept was neat, but it actually seemed underdeveloped (which is odd because quite a bit actually happened in the movie). The "twists" seemed forced and completely expected. The ending was predictable. (And I'm not one who can usually guess the ending of a movie, no matter how obvious it is.) The whole "original inception" was too easy to guess as soon as it was mentioned. There was no "shock" in the movie. The biggest shock I got was jolting out of my seat during a sudden increase in music.

This was my opinion exactly. <3

We saw Salt yesterday. I rather enjoyed it. In no way a deep meaningful movie but quite fun nonetheless.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 am

I am just not that excited to see Salt.

I did see Predators though. Fun movie.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:13 am

Salt looks like you're run of the mill popcorn flick
Lightbeard

Postby theckhd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:09 am

Nikachelle wrote:We had a bit of a toss up over which one to see this weekend. I was more interested in seeing Salt, because I mind Jolie far more visually appealing and entertaining that I do DiCaprio, but EVERYONE had been talking about Inception so I figured that was the better choice.

I actually saw both this weekend, which was sort of odd. We went to see Salt, which we enjoyed. When we left the theater, we saw that it was raining ridiculously hard outside, and we didn't have coats or umbrellas. Rather than get soaked running out to the car, we decided to watch Inception and hope the rain was gone by the end of it.

We both really liked the movie. It was a neat twist off of the heist genre.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby mew » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 am

Vanifae wrote:I am just not that excited to see Salt.

I did see Predators though. Fun movie.

^
We picked Predators over Salt. It just looks like another generic, high budget, Angelina is a superspy movie.
And who doesn't loves them some predators?

(Unrelated, whenever I think of Leo D I always think of Jersey Shore now) I'm excited about Jersey Shore Season 2 starting up. And after seeing the trailer for Dexter season 5 I'm finally watching season 4.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Kelaan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

OMFG.

I finally saw Inception this weekend, and it was better than I'd even hoped it would be... which says a lot. Loved it. Won't say more about it, as I don't want to inadvertantly spoil things. Must see it again.
Kelaan

Postby sapientialb » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:18 pm

Nikachelle wrote:\

Remember any of the titles/authors? Going on vacation for a few days shortly and always looking for a good read.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:08 am

sapientialb wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:\

Remember any of the titles/authors? Going on vacation for a few days shortly and always looking for a good read.

These are by far my favourite. Less on the corporate espionage, more of a dream emphasis.

Elizabeth Knox - Dreamhunter (1st book in the series), then Dreamquake (last book)

They may be classified as teen books, I think, but I found them absolutely astonishing to read.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby sapientialb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:04 am

I did a google search on the topic and was pleasantly surprised to get reacquainted with a series called Vurt by Jeff Noon that I'd read years ago but forget the author's name and such. Definitely a "screw with your head" kind of read.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm

I kinda got dragged into Inception by my better half :D
I went into the movie with the attitude "sigh, another crappy movie to sit through"

But i was pleasantly surprised.
Nice depth to it... not too hard to understand and loads better than most movies ive seen recently.

And to those reviewers who say its "too deep for the average moviegoer"
- Is your average moviegoer a drooling retard?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Giggitygoo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:47 am

And to those reviewers who say its "too deep for the average moviegoer"
- Is your average moviegoer a drooling retard?

lol. Great film I thought, and whilst I kept up fine I still think if I watched if again I would probably spot bits I missed before.

It's very fast paced, dialog etc almost felt like bits were missing sometimes.
Shutting the f**k up as of 14/09/2010.
Giggitygoo

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum