Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Fivelives » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:03 am

I liked Catch Me If You Can, but then he made The Aviator and didn't even have the good grace to ham it up.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby katraya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 am

Having a irrational disliking to an actor isn't that uncommon. I have a really hard time watching anything with Matt Damon. There is no good reason for it but he just irritates me.

As for Inception I liked it but it didn't seem to live up to the hype. They seemed to try to hard to be shocking and creative and in the end certain parts were really predictable for this reason. I can't go into any details without getting spoilery though. It was just a bit too...much.

I also didn't really care for Marion Cottilard and her characters name (when I looked at how it was actually spelled) made me facepalm a bit. It wasn't her acting so much as her voice. I saw her in Public Enemies last night and it bothered me again so I guess that isn't so much an issue with Inception as it is my personal taste. I enjoyed the rest of the actors though.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie and I would definitely say it is worth seeing on the big screen for the special effects alone. I just didn't think it was omfgbestmovieofalltimeawesomeness. It also felt very long, which I don't think a good movie should.
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 am

There is always a hater somewhere ;) how was that Swedish film?
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 am

Whoa. So I'm not the ONLY one who has an irrational hatred for Leonardo DiCaprio? Good to know. He's just too pretty boy/smarmy/holier than thou that just really grates on my nerves. However, Invis had heard how good the movie was, and after having looked into the plot, I've agreed to go see it, even though I tend to skip Leo movies. (Seeing it this weekend.)
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:59 am

Nikachelle wrote:Whoa. So I'm not the ONLY one who has an irrational hatred for Leonardo DiCaprio? Good to know. He's just too pretty boy/smarmy/holier than thou that just really grates on my nerves. However, Invis had heard how good the movie was, and after having looked into the plot, I've agreed to go see it, even though I tend to skip Leo movies. (Seeing it this weekend.)

It's good Nika, I hope you and Invis have a great time it's a fun original film.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:04 am

I guess I try not to be that judgmental, I just can't in good conscious make a judgment call on someone who:

A) I have never actually met in person and only know of through the media.

B) Is in a profession where they lie for a living and play the role of other people.

C) Of course I have my thoughts, predispositions, on them as people as but I temper that the fact that I really just don't know them and probably never will.

Just seems odd to me. But I understand why people do it.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby katraya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 am

Vanifae wrote:There is always a hater somewhere ;) how was that Swedish film?


It was actually really great. They did a good job of adapting the book (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) which is a rare thing. Of course a few minor things were changed and two things that was somewhat significant but overall they kept the general tone and atmosphere of the book. The sequel is already playing at the same theater so I plan to go see it next week. I am a bit scared to see what will happen when they make an American version of the film next year.

My boyfriend enjoyed it as well. I was kind of worried he'd fall asleep but he got into it despite the subtitles. To quote him "It was a hell of a lot better than that last movie." He actually flat out hated Inception.
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Invisusira » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 am

I'm in the "hate the performance, not the actor" crowd. Irrational hatred of actors is... irrational. To me. I fear Nika will never be able to appreciate one of the greatest films ever, Gladiator, because she's too busy hating Mr. Crowe.
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 9021
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 am

I said I'd see it! Not my fault you haven't sat me down to watch it!
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Invisusira » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 am

Oh I will. I will.
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 9021
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:09 am

Invisusira wrote:I'm in the "hate the performance, not the actor" crowd. Irrational hatred of actors is... irrational. To me. I fear Nika will never be able to appreciate one of the greatest films ever, Gladiator, because she's too busy hating Mr. Crowe.

Gladiator is an awesome film. Poor Nika.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby katraya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:09 am

Vanifae wrote:I guess I try not to be that judgmental, I just can't in good conscious make a judgment call on someone who:

A) I have never actually met in person and only know of through the media.

B) Is in a profession where they lie for a living and play the role of other people.

C) Of course I have my thoughts, predispositions, on them as people as but I temper that the fact that I really just don't know them and probably never will.


Hey, I hate random historical figures too so some of us are just a bit odd. At least I know my dislike isn't grounded in reality though. :D

Invisusira wrote:I'm in the "hate the performance, not the actor" crowd. Irrational hatred of actors is... irrational. To me. I fear Nika will never be able to appreciate one of the greatest films ever, Gladiator, because she's too busy hating Mr. Crowe.


Between Russel Crowe and historical inaccuracies I could never get into that movie either.
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:09 am

katraya wrote:It was actually really great. They did a good job of adapting the book (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) which is a rare thing. Of course a few minor things were changed and two things that was somewhat significant but overall they kept the general tone and atmosphere of the book. The sequel is already playing at the same theater so I plan to go see it next week. I am a bit scared to see what will happen when they make an American version of the film next year.

OH! I've been wanting to see that, but have held out because I haven't actually read the book yet, and would prefer to read the book, then see the movie.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 am

katraya wrote:
Vanifae wrote:There is always a hater somewhere ;) how was that Swedish film?


It was actually really great. They did a good job of adapting the book (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) which is a rare thing. Of course a few minor things were changed and two things that was somewhat significant but overall they kept the general tone and atmosphere of the book. The sequel is already playing at the same theater so I plan to go see it next week. I am a bit scared to see what will happen when they make an American version of the film next year.

My boyfriend enjoyed it as well. I was kind of worried he'd fall asleep but he got into it despite the subtitles. To quote him "It was a hell of a lot better than that last movie." He actually flat out hated Inception.

That movie is on Netflix, looks interesting.

Your boyfriend is weird.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 am

Invisusira wrote:Oh I will. I will.

Do it. Don't be soft.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest