Remove Advertisements

Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Kelaan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:34 am

Fivelives wrote:I probably won't see it, if only because I hate dicaprio. No idea why, I just do.

Sorry if this derails the thread, but ... as someone said, that's a dumb reason to skip a high-caliber movie. Di Caprio is a fairly skilled actor, IMO. I'm not a big fan, but I respect his abilities (esp after seeing the Aviator. Hated the film, but felt he was amazing at portraying the crackpot Hughes).

Many people (esp guys) dislike him because he's associated with teen-hearthrob-ness, or something: never did I see so much hate as after Titanic. Now, he's a bit older, and is more of a veteran actor. Sure, he's handsome, but he's now cast in grittier roles. If that was your reason for hating him, it's probably safe to let it go: Women will always love Sean Connery, Russel Crowe, etc, so we may as well live with it. :D
User avatar
Kelaan
 
Posts: 4036
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Fivelives » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Aww, how cute. Someone apologized for derailing a threat.

In the Asylum.

But yeah, I think it's probably a combination of 3 things. First, Titanic. Second, the Aviator (thanks for reminding me of that pile of suck and fail). Third, I can't picture him being the type to belly up to the bar and be friendly to "normal" people - he strikes me as the kind of famous person that KNOWS they're famous and wants to be treated like royalty because of it.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:05 pm

There are some very solid actors/actresses other than Leonardo that make this film great, I won't argue for you to see it, I just think the reasoning will keep you from seeing a potentially great film.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Fivelives » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Netflix, or is it a "must see in theaters" movie?
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Fivelives wrote:Netflix, or is it a "must see in theaters" movie?

Depends on your tastes, but for me it was definitely a must see theater movie.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Fivelives » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Lots of fast-paced action, big explosions... Basically, The A-Team was a theater movie, but Toy Story 3 can wait for Netflix.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Santcuff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Amazing movie is Amazing...
I want to go see it again because I still have so many questions and thoughts that I need to find out. Don't want to ruin anything though, but it is an amazing movie so yeah go see it.
Image
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
User avatar
Santcuff
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am
Location: The Lurkmobile

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby mew » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:05 pm

Fivelives wrote:Aww, how cute. Someone apologized for derailing a threat.

In the Asylum.

But yeah, I think it's probably a combination of 3 things. First, Titanic. Second, the Aviator (thanks for reminding me of that pile of suck and fail). Third, I can't picture him being the type to belly up to the bar and be friendly to "normal" people - he strikes me as the kind of famous person that KNOWS they're famous and wants to be treated like royalty because of it.

Some of the Jersey Shore people were at a club/bar once and he heard they were there and brought them in to the VIP room.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Fivelives » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:12 pm

mew wrote:
Fivelives wrote:Aww, how cute. Someone apologized for derailing a threat.

In the Asylum.

But yeah, I think it's probably a combination of 3 things. First, Titanic. Second, the Aviator (thanks for reminding me of that pile of suck and fail). Third, I can't picture him being the type to belly up to the bar and be friendly to "normal" people - he strikes me as the kind of famous person that KNOWS they're famous and wants to be treated like royalty because of it.

Some of the Jersey Shore people were at a club/bar once and he heard they were there and brought them in to the VIP room.


Is this supposed to convince me that he's capable of being friendly to "normal" people? I can't decide - either he was being cool to everyone else at the club by getting rid of the jersey shore folks, or he was actually willing to hang out with them - in which case, this makes me dislike him even more.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Not even sure why it matters if he would party with the "masses" or not but if I was fucking famous you better believe I wouldn't just sidle up to the bar for a beer. The masses are fucking crazy and I would get mobbed for autographs, pictures, and just general sycophantic behavior.

I really don't see your point.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Fivelives » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:16 pm

It's not whether or not he would actually do it, but more of can I see him being the type to do it.

For instance:

I can see Sean Connery or Julia Roberts hanging out being cool with people. I can't see Leo doing that. Can't really put my finger on why, exactly - maybe the way he carries himself? Like he seriously thinks he's better than everyone else around him.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Fivelives wrote:It's not whether or not he would actually do it, but more of can I see him being the type to do it.

For instance:

I can see Sean Connery or Julia Roberts hanging out being cool with people. I can't see Leo doing that. Can't really put my finger on why, exactly - maybe the way he carries himself? Like he seriously thinks he's better than everyone else around him.

You have issues but okay.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby mew » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Fivelives wrote:
mew wrote:
Fivelives wrote:Aww, how cute. Someone apologized for derailing a threat.

In the Asylum.

But yeah, I think it's probably a combination of 3 things. First, Titanic. Second, the Aviator (thanks for reminding me of that pile of suck and fail). Third, I can't picture him being the type to belly up to the bar and be friendly to "normal" people - he strikes me as the kind of famous person that KNOWS they're famous and wants to be treated like royalty because of it.

Some of the Jersey Shore people were at a club/bar once and he heard they were there and brought them in to the VIP room.


Is this supposed to convince me that he's capable of being friendly to "normal" people? I can't decide - either he was being cool to everyone else at the club by getting rid of the jersey shore folks, or he was actually willing to hang out with them - in which case, this makes me dislike him even more.

You need to fist pump all this hatin' away.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:49 am

Fivelives wrote:Lots of fast-paced action, big explosions... Basically, The A-Team was a theater movie, but Toy Story 3 can wait for Netflix.


Going offtopic but im surprise Toy Story 3 still has a 99% on RT.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Inception (non-spoiler) Thread

Postby ulushnar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:53 am

Christopher Nolan has made the world's first Existential Heist movie. You'd better believe you should see it.

And for the record, I hated Leo for a long time after Titanic too, but between Inception and The Departed, I've gotta admit he has some chops. If you like some intelligence with your big 'splodey summer movie, then leave your prejudices at the door.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?