Netstorm: The best abandon-ware RTS ever

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Netstorm: The best abandon-ware RTS ever

Postby Jabari » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Anybody ever play this? I use to play it a ton when it came out - great game. Activision abandoned it and it was "taken over" by another group that has a server going and has patched it a couple of times.

The game is now at http://www.netstormhq.com/, and is free to download.

It's an RTS game with a twist - none of the fighting units can move! The units are placed on the map and can fire only in certain directions (Straight Line, Arc, Full Circle, etc) and automatically shoot at each other.
The "gathering" units move to the resource nodes and back to your Temple (home base) to get Storm Power (money).

The Storm Geysers and various islands all float in the air - to get from place to place you have to build bridges to connect to things. The bridge pieces are like Tetris pieces that you hook together and connect to things.

Each player also has a Priest that builds your Temple and Workshops. The object is to attack the enemy Priest, capture him, and sacrifice him on your Altar. (And who doesn't like doing that? :D )

Some screenshots:

Laying a cannon to attack the enemy island. The cannon can shoot all 4 directions (one at a time) and has a longer range than the units on the island. I'm building the Cannon on the end of my bridge, and I can keep bridging "from" the Cannon as well. My Balloons are flying over to the Storm Geyser to pick up some cash for me.

Placing a defensive Stone Tower. Towers don't shoot at all, but take a heck of a lot of damage.

Wind Towers vs Thunder Cannons. The Thunder Cannons (controlled by Red) are the most damaging unit in the game, but the Wind Towers can't be hurt on the curved side (so I'm safe from them until the Wind Towers get flanked).

Flanking the Thunder Cannons with Crossbows. The Thunder Cannons only shoot one direction, so I go around and attack them from the side with Crossbows (that do pretty good damage, but can't take many hits).

Sacrificing the enemy Priest!

Jabari

Re: Netstorm: The best abandon-ware RTS ever

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:29 pm

mplayer only?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Jabari » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:mplayer only?

It has some single-player campaigns to do, and there is a campaign editor and user-mades ones you can download (but I haven't tried those yet). It was originally meant to be mainly multi-player though.
Jabari

Postby Talaii » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:14 am

Also used to play this when it was new. The chanting over the sacrifice is so satisfying after a hard-fought game. It was nice to see an RTS that was all about position and precision rather than just spamming as many units as possible. Oh, and Sun Barriers are the best thing ever.
Talaii

Postby Argali » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:09 am

Does it require DosBox?
Argali

Postby Jabari » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:19 am

Argali wrote:Does it require DosBox?

Nope.
Jabari

Return to Arkham Asylum