Remove Advertisements

Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira


Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Amirya » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:37 pm

So far, I have that Nika is a furry hermit crab who likes boxes and has issues with spelling and grammar?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3935
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 pm

I think I'm a velociraptor too, but I'm not sure what thread that was in.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11000
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Fivelives » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Amirya wrote:So far, I have that Nika is a furry hermit crab who likes boxes and has issues with spelling and grammar?


Shame on you Amirya, calling Nika a furry!

shes obv a pokeman. NIKACHU
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Passionario » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:58 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I need mod power for this forum. I have a burning desire to go in and correct everyone's spelling mistakes in this thread.

[Uther] How can you even consider this? There's got to be some other way! [/Uther]
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
User avatar
Passionario
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:32 am

Nikachelle wrote:I think I'm a velociraptor too, but I'm not sure what thread that was in.


In the secret dreams of the men on this forums thread I think?

/chuckles and sows the seed of creepyness.

Wiat! taht wsnat pveire!
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7101
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Epimer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 am

While we're at it (shameless bandwagon jumping):

"Alot" is not a word (although it is a town and nagar panchayat in the Ratlam district of Madhya Pradesh, India). The phrase is "a lot".

"Looser" might be an insult, but it's probably not the one you (not any specific "you", a generic "you") mean. You mean "loser".

And, most importantly of all, "I could care less" is an utterly meaningless phrase for expressing how little you care about something. Stop using it. I'd rant further, but David Mitchell does a much better job than I could do here.

I feel oddly calm with that lot off my chest. Thank you.
User avatar
Epimer
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Tenaka » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:07 am

Epimer wrote:And, most importantly of all, "I could care less" is an utterly meaningless phrase for expressing how little you care about something. Stop using it. I'd rant further, but David Mitchell does a much better job than I could do here.


If I cared less about this point I would not have posted, but in not caring less I have generated a situation in which the statement "I could care less" is a totally meaningful phrase. Although I think you might have been referring to "I couldn't care less" which is a whole different kettle of pedantic fish.
Tenaka
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:01 am

David Mitchell is a God.

His rants are spectacular and funny while being incredibly well informed.

I will never forget the 'So you are marketing a product that you don't actually need' rant about cleaning products on Mock the Week.

Funny.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7101
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Epimer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:19 am

Tenaka wrote: Although I think you might have been referring to "I couldn't care less" which is a whole different kettle of pedantic fish.


I was referring to the (usually) Americanism of saying "I could care less" where the (usually) British phrase of "I couldn't care less" would be used. Because the former conveys the opposite meaning to the intended point, whereas the latter is accurate. It's a huge personal bugbear. I can sort of understand why people get confused and say "for all intensive purposes" when they mean "for all intents and purposes" because it almost sort of makes sense and at least conveys the same general meaning. Saying "I could care less" when the meaning is "it is not possible for me to care less" is ridiculous and just plain wrong. Would you say "I do not like fish" when you are expressing a like for seafood? You would not.

(This really bothers me!)
User avatar
Epimer
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Chicken » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:34 am

Epimer wrote:
Tenaka wrote: Although I think you might have been referring to "I couldn't care less" which is a whole different kettle of pedantic fish.


I was referring to the (usually) Americanism of saying "I could care less" where the (usually) British phrase of "I couldn't care less" would be used. Because the former conveys the opposite meaning to the intended point, whereas the latter is accurate. It's a huge personal bugbear. I can sort of understand why people get confused and say "for all intensive purposes" when they mean "for all intents and purposes" because it almost sort of makes sense and at least conveys the same general meaning. Saying "I could care less" when the meaning is "it is not possible for me to care less" is ridiculous and just plain wrong. Would you say "I do not like fish" when you are expressing a like for seafood? You would not.

(This really bothers me!)
So you could care less about the phrase?
Image
User avatar
Chicken
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Epimer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:27 am

Chicken wrote:So you could care less about the phrase?


*head explodes*
User avatar
Epimer
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Tenaka » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:59 am

Chicken wrote:So you could care less about the phrase?


Yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and lol just about now.

Epimer wrote:I was referring to the (usually) Americanism of saying "I could care less" where the (usually) British phrase of "I couldn't care less" would be used. Because the former conveys the opposite meaning to the intended point, whereas the latter is accurate. It's a huge personal bugbear. I can sort of understand why people get confused and say "for all intensive purposes" when they mean "for all intents and purposes" because it almost sort of makes sense and at least conveys the same general meaning. Saying "I could care less" when the meaning is "it is not possible for me to care less" is ridiculous and just plain wrong. Would you say "I do not like fish" when you are expressing a like for seafood? You would not.

(This really bothers me!)


I actually *do* say "I could care less" when I mean I don't care. Emphasising the "could" and implying there is a "but" following gets my message across just fine.

Oh and I am not a great lover of seafood in general.
Tenaka
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Epimer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:39 am

Tenaka wrote:I actually *do* say "I could care less" when I mean I don't care. Emphasising the "could" and implying there is a "but" following gets my message across just fine.


"I could care less but..." still doesn't convey the meaning of "I do not care about...". It's a nonsense phrase. Actually, no, it's worse than a nonsense phrase, because it has the opposite meaning to the intended message.

I'm not one of those people who get up on their high horse about the purity of the English language or changes in spelling or regional variations, because it's a living language and all that stuff ("Aluminum" instead of "Aluminium" still strikes my as a silly one but I can live with someone misplacing an "i" and thus completely changing the pronunciation - at least IUPAC have my back on that one). "I could care less" bothers me because correct and precise use of language is all about conveying meaning and using a phrase which has literally the opposite meaning to what it is you actual want to say - outside of cases of extreme sarcasm - is just baffling and unhelpful.

Also, I'm an unashamed pedant.

(Which, for the record, means I engage in "pedantry". Not "pendaticness" or "pedanticalness" or whatever half-baked phrase you reached for in lieu of taking the 3 seconds to google the damn word and realise your mistake. Again, generic "you"s throughout).
User avatar
Epimer
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 am

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Tenaka » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:49 am

Epimer wrote:"I could care less but..." still doesn't convey the meaning of "I do not care about...". It's a nonsense phrase. Actually, no, it's worse than a nonsense phrase, because it has the opposite meaning to the intended message.


I could respond to this by simply repeating my earlier post but I feel that if you really are as pedantic as you say then I will force an infinite iteration upon the forum that will only be dispelled with a divide by zero.

And we all know how they turn out.
Tenaka
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest