Remove Advertisements

The World Cup Thread - Football/Soccer

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: The World Cup Thread - Football/Soccer

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:54 pm

I deserve to have 50,000 people blow vuvuzelas at me.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby alayire » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 pm

you had me :shock: at blow.
alayire

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:42 pm

alayire wrote:you had me :shock: at blow.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:48 pm

I think, I kinda get what you mean about deserving to win, but on the other hand, don't you think that after the training, tactics planning, mental preparation, wouldn't it be reasonable to say "Hey I put effort into preparing. I do deserve to win."
Argali

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Argali wrote:I think, I kinda get what you mean about deserving to win, but on the other hand, don't you think that after the training, tactics planning, mental preparation, wouldn't it be reasonable to say "Hey I put effort into preparing. I do deserve to win."

Funny you mention that...
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Someone on the wow forums talked about the refs being biased to the Spanish. Someone responded

If a game didn't have shaky officiating, fake injuries, lots of whining, and one score total, it wouldn't be soccer.
Lightbeard

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Argali wrote:I think, I kinda get what you mean about deserving to win, but on the other hand, don't you think that after the training, tactics planning, mental preparation, wouldn't it be reasonable to say "Hey I put effort into preparing. I do deserve to win."
Yeah but until you get a score for what you do to prepare for a competition, it's generally not looked at that way. At that level, pretty much everyone is working really hard preparing and stuff, there are some slackers of course, but these guys have quite a bit at stake and tend to take it pretty seriously. In a sense it's a wash, because everyone pretty much thinks they've worked hard enough to win. Pretty unanimously, athletes believe the person/team who performed better during the competition deserves to win, regardless of the prep work.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 am

Lightbeard wrote:Someone on the wow forums talked about the refs being biased to the Spanish. Someone responded

If a game didn't have shaky officiating, fake injuries, lots of whining, and one score total, it wouldn't be soccer.

How anyone can think the referee was biased towards the Spanish is beyond me. They obviously didn't watch the same game as the rest of the world. If his view had not been blocked 3 times Holland would have been down to 8 men by the end of the first half.

The ref had an ok game, not his best certainly but there isn't anyone currently refereeing in the world who would have handled the match as well as Webb. It was scrappy and the Dutch were very cynical.

The Dutch can have no complaints whatsoever and Spain on the night deserved to win although Holland had the better chances to go 1-0 up and kill the game off.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Mutley » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 am

Barathorn wrote:The Dutch can have no complaints whatsoever and Spain on the night deserved to win although Holland had the better chances to go 1-0 up and kill the game off.

Except for not being awarded a corner after the free kick 30 seconds or so before the 0-1.

Spain was better though, Webb just missed a whole lot of things. But then again, that seems to have been the common theme this world cup.
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:20 am

Mutley wrote:
Barathorn wrote:The Dutch can have no complaints whatsoever and Spain on the night deserved to win although Holland had the better chances to go 1-0 up and kill the game off.

Except for not being awarded a corner after the free kick 30 seconds or so before the 0-1.

Spain was better though, Webb just missed a whole lot of things. But then again, that seems to have been the common theme this world cup.

Yeah the corner was a poor miss I agree. However that was pretty much the only 'big' decision that went against the Dutch other than the incident with Robben being an idiot and trying to get a penalty rather than falling over and Puyol being sent off.

I think the referee had a good game, I really do. I would have liked to see both captains brought to the centre circle after twenty five minutes and told to tell their respective teams to calm down otherwise red cards were going to be shown. I don't understand why football doesn't do that, put the pressure on the team captains, not on the referees.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby theckhd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:05 am

Yeah, other than the corner call, the game was officiated pretty well. I started out rooting for Holland, but about 25 minutes in I just got tired of how dirty they were playing. It was the foot to the chest that did it for me, I think. That should have been a red card, and if it weren't so early in the final game I think it would have been given as such.

As far as diving, there really wasn't much going on. Almost every fall involved contact that was visible from the replay.

Spain really did deserve to win that game - they gave a better performance and were more technically skilled.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Mutley » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:54 am

Spain just lacked scoring power, they made a whole 8 goals in the tournament. 4 In the group phase and 4 in the 2nd round, they won all their knock out games 1-0.
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:56 am

Yeah, I agree that Spain played the better game, I hate their playstyle though...it's so boring to watch. It's a possession game...don't attack much, just hold onto the ball for as long as possible and try to get a single score somewhere in there. I much prefer to watch a more open and dynamic game. Also, it's a shame that Robben got screwed for not flopping on the run near the end of regulation.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Diocaska » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:48 am

To be honest, I think Webb was too soft on the Dutch. I think by not being harder on them, he let them continue too much with the bad tackles. I think it was too much of trying to keep it in the spirit with 11 vs 11, too worried about ruining the spectical of the final.

That said, I do not believe many referees could've done that much better. Though I do believe advantage should've been played in a couple of scenarios, feel Webb was too quick to pull things back for free kicks too soon.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby theckhd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:05 am

Dorvan wrote:Yeah, I agree that Spain played the better game, I hate their playstyle though...it's so boring to watch. It's a possession game...don't attack much, just hold onto the ball for as long as possible and try to get a single score somewhere in there. I much prefer to watch a more open and dynamic game.

See, the funny thing is that I really enjoy watching Spain play. Yes, it's a pass/possession play style, but they exhibit such incredible technical ability while doing it that it's fun to watch. It always amazes me to see how crisp and precise their passing is, and the nifty tricks they play to advance the ball to another player. That degree of tactical coordination and ball handling skill is rare, and I find it awfully fun to watch.

Far more enjoyable than watching the US play at any rate. I want to groan every time I see a pass misplaced or a routine trap fumbled. We can run fast and get lucky once in a while, but we're sorely lacking in the basic skills that form the foundation of a solid team.

I can see how it would be slower if you were just interested in scoring opportunities though. The Germany/Uruguay game won in that department hands down. Heavy back-and-forth and lots of shots. But neither of those teams was as fun to watch in midfield.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum