25%
No, i have no interest
No votes
I'm not going to Blizzcon
75%

Total votes : 44

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Thalia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:51 am

I always do LAX just because I am a native of So Cal, so I know how to get around. I rent a car from there. I also don't have to get hotels because my family lives in Rowland Heights, which is 15 mins from Anaheim.

But I totally suggest you take John Wayne Airport if you can, it's in Orange and closer to Anaheim then LAX, plus its smaller and less confusing. And I do suggest you rent a car, just bring your tomtom if you want or any GPS you might have, SO CAL is not hard to get around in, and having a car gives you freedom.
Thalia

Postby mew » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:59 am

Thalia wrote:I always do LAX just because I am a native of So Cal, so I know how to get around. I rent a car from there. I also don't have to get hotels because my family lives in Rowland Heights, which is 15 mins from Anaheim.

But I totally suggest you take John Wayne Airport if you can, it's in Orange and closer to Anaheim then LAX, plus its smaller and less confusing. And I do suggest you rent a car, just bring your tomtom if you want or any GPS you might have, SO CAL is not hard to get around in, and having a car gives you freedom.

Do you have to be 25 to rent a car?

I don't know if I will have a job by Blizzcon or not, but if I don't I want to stay longer either before or after the con. I hadn't even considered transport.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:07 am

This may not help since I'm not American... but most car companies here require you to be 25 to rent a car. HOWEVER, there are usually some places that will rent to <25 so long as you pay an additional fee.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:20 am

Nikachelle wrote:This may not help since I'm not American... but most car companies here require you to be 25 to rent a car. HOWEVER, there are usually some places that will rent to <25 so long as you pay an additional fee.

It's still helpful :P
I could see that, like an increased deposit. Maybe some might even have a system where you can get someone over 25 to co-sign with you or something. I will have to look in to it when the time comes, it would be nice driving a car that isn't old as fuck.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Gladia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 am

mew wrote:@Gladia: Lucky you! :P I had a friend that was 80 in queue, that was the closest I'd known of so far.
Yeah, that was very helpful information! We should have thought to post something like that sooner. There were people freaking out like "Oh crap, can I change the number of tickets?!"

I was actually doing the same thing, since in the normal store you can change quantities, but i wasnt sure if you could with the tickets, before they even went on sale. I know how those that got down low in the queue before they sold out feel, last year, i missed the first set, but tried for the second set, and got to 15 before they sold out. As for those who dont get them either attempt, give it a week or two on ebay, they'll be down to 150-175 again, since they want to sell them before they get locked out, but you take the risk of being screwed out of a ticket, but always purchase with paypal, since they have the buyer protection.

Yes, you do have to be 25 to rent at the advertised rates, most will rent to under 25, but it will be a higher rate, and they usually want you to purchase the insurance on the car, along with an additional deposit.
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Postby mew » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:28 am

Gladia wrote:
mew wrote:@Gladia: Lucky you! :P I had a friend that was 80 in queue, that was the closest I'd known of so far.
Yeah, that was very helpful information! We should have thought to post something like that sooner. There were people freaking out like "Oh crap, can I change the number of tickets?!"

I was actually doing the same thing, since in the normal store you can change quantities, but i wasnt sure if you could with the tickets, before they even went on sale. I know how those that got down low in the queue before they sold out feel, last year, i missed the first set, but tried for the second set, and got to 15 before they sold out. As for those who dont get them either attempt, give it a week or two on ebay, they'll be down to 150-175 again, since they want to sell them before they get locked out, but you take the risk of being screwed out of a ticket, but always purchase with paypal, since they have the buyer protection.

Yes, you do have to be 25 to rent at the advertised rates, most will rent to under 25, but it will be a higher rate, and they usually want you to purchase the insurance on the car, along with an additional deposit.
Unless they changed the system this year they don't get locked out of claiming the tickets. The purchaser has to pick up the tickets, so they can put their name on all the tickets and pick them all up. They don't check your ID or anything to get in to the con, you just need a badge.

But you are correct, they will go down. Scalpers failed miserably last year and I think they will again this year. (I don't know if I have posted this already, I have posted it in so many places that I lose track) Within months of the con tickets were ebaying for only $20 above the original price. Closer to the con time you can also check the Blizzcon forums, there tend to be a lot of people that have extra tickets they are trying to get rid of.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Thalia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:29 am

Most do require that you are 25 for the sole fact that at that time it drops down insurance prices lol. But I have seen some where you can be 21... though it is more expensive, sorry I can't tell you which companies though I don't remember ><
Thalia

Postby Gladia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 am

mew wrote:Unless they changed the system this year they don't get locked out of claiming the tickets. The purchaser has to pick up the tickets, so they can put their name on all the tickets and pick them all up. They don't check your ID or anything to get in to the con, you just need a badge.

But you are correct, they will go down. Scalpers failed miserably last year and I think they will again this year. (I don't know if I have posted this already, I have posted it in so many places that I lose track) Within months of the con tickets were ebaying for only $20 above the original price. Closer to the con time you can also check the Blizzcon forums, there tend to be a lot of people that have extra tickets they are trying to get rid of.

They didnt change the system, and yes, they dont check id's at the door, just when you pick up the badge initially, but just if you buy them off ebay, if the purchaser uses the barcode before you get there, you wont get a badge. The forums are a good place, or even trade chat on your server, if its US, thats how one of my guildies got a ticket last year.
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
-Stalin

Gladia

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am

Shathus wrote:I've been looking at airfare to get into Anaheim. Seems the 3 options are

LAX - farthest away but generally cheaper and most flights
SNA/LGD - closer but could be more expensive and less flight options.

Any advice from those who have done it before? If you fly to LAX do you take a cab, shuttle, rent a car to get to Anaheim?

TIA

SNA and LGD are by far easier to get around -- both are small airports, and about equidistant from the Anaheim Convention Center (20min). LAX is a nightmare, especially if you're not an experienced traveler.

I personally would recommend a car, especially if you want to wander off the reservation, but it'll depend largely on if you've got a group (which makes the car more worthwhile) and what you plan to do. There are shuttles to the hotels from any location, but you'd be better off shuttling from Orange County or Long Beach than LAX.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the replies thus far. It sounding like staying away from LAX is a good plan, though it seems about a $150-$300 price difference (total) to fly into SNA or LGB right now depending on the flights. The cheaper one involves a red eye overnight. Wife and I will look at it some more tonight.

We weren't figuring on renting a car. The hotel should be within walking distance, unless we decide to do like Medieval Times one night or something, but I'd imagine a cab would still be cheaper at that point than a car for 3-4 days
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby ack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Depending on what hotel you're staying at, one thing that sucks about having a car is some hotels charge between $10 to $20 to park there per night, so it's better off to rent a shuttle to get to and from the airport if you're only going to be near Blizzcon.

And here's the really cheap option - public transportation. When my ride fell through last year, I took the bus from SNA to the convention center. It only cost around $3, but it took something like 90 minutes and one bus change.
Ackini of Paragon, Frostmane.
ack
Maintankadonor

Postby Gladia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 pm

ack wrote:Depending on what hotel you're staying at, one thing that sucks about having a car is some hotels charge between $10 to $20 to park there per night, so it's better off to rent a shuttle to get to and from the airport if you're only going to be near Blizzcon.

And here's the really cheap option - public transportation. When my ride fell through last year, I took the bus from SNA to the convention center. It only cost around $3, but it took something like 90 minutes and one bus change.

This is true, like the hilton for ex is 15 a day, which adds up. there is a few hotels a block or two down the street that have free parking, but would be a longer walk.
-Stalin

Gladia

Postby Shathus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Ok, i'm gonna be dumb and just ask again... we're trying to decide between John Wayne and Long Beach. JW would be about $185 more expensive, but from reading online some about the airports and the carrier (Jet Blue for LB), we're feeling a little weary about going into Long Beach (which would also include a red eye on the return flight). The cheap bastard in me wants to take the cheaper flight (which would also give us extra time on Sunday to do stuff, but John Wayne feels like it might be the smarter/safer choice. If we're already spending this much money on tickets, hotels and airfare, should I just suck up the extra cost?

Most people here seemed to say they used SNA as well which is pushing me that direction.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Shathus wrote:Ok, i'm gonna be dumb and just ask again... we're trying to decide between John Wayne and Long Beach. JW would be about $185 more expensive, but from reading online some about the airports and the carrier (Jet Blue for LB), we're feeling a little weary about going into Long Beach (which would also include a red eye on the return flight). The cheap bastard in me wants to take the cheaper flight (which would also give us extra time on Sunday to do stuff, but John Wayne feels like it might be the smarter/safer choice. If we're already spending this much money on tickets, hotels and airfare, should I just suck up the extra cost?

Most people here seemed to say they used SNA as well which is pushing me that direction.

Let me tell you, the LBC (Long Beach/Compton lol) is only nice for a 6-10 block radius centering on the aquarium and convention center, if you take one wrong turn there you will end up in Snoop Dogs/Dre's old hangouts. I used to deliver to some of the markets there and I had to stay outside and watch the merchandise while my uncle unloaded it inside the stores because they would just walk by and yank it. I never failed to see schizophrenic walking down the street or thugs trying to hit on me. I would stay away from the general area where Long Beach Airport drops you in. Pay the extra money, John Wayne is at the heart of Orange County and a few minutes away from the Beach and the Newport Shopping Center which is a lot of fun.
Thalia

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Orange County is a really nice airport, but not worth the premium if you can get a flight into Long Beach. The airport itself is perfectly safe :D
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum