Blizzcon, Now with T-shirt poll!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Interest In Blizzcon T-Shirts

Yes, i would like one
11
25%
No, i have no interest
0
No votes
I'm not going to Blizzcon
33
75%
 
Total votes : 44

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Santcuff » Wed May 19, 2010 4:02 am

Ugh I want to go so bad but I don't think I have the money :x
Image
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
User avatar
Santcuff
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am
Location: The Lurkmobile

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Gladia » Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 am

mew wrote:I don't think they really profit off Blizzcon. If they do it's not much.

I thought I heard last year was 25000 tickets but I am probably wrong. I trust your number list over my memory.

I love going every year. Minimum cost for the trip (if you are flying in from elsewhere in the US) is around $500, but it is worth it to save up for. ($150 for con ticket, $300 for plane ticket, at least $100 for hotel for 3 nights depending on how many people you split with, food)
I loved the merchandise system last year where you could mail order most of the stuff you wanted before the con.

I'm super excited :D Buying tickets is always the scary part.



I believe that they did have an article on their site somewhere about how they really dont profit from it and the only reason they do it is for their fans, from what i remember they barely break even, if not lose some money. Considering to rent a single hall at the convention center is a minimum of $10,000, and they usually rent 3, plus 1 downstairs and 2 upstairs. so roughly 50k without anything actually in there. Add in the setup, the people to manage it, the equipment rentals, the ending concert performance, depending on who it is, im pretty sure Ozzy did it for a deeply discounted rate, but still was pretty costly, putting everyone in hotels, etc. All of that with a budget of 3 mil from ticket sales, plus im sure im missing a lot of items that are behind the scenes.

500 sounds about right for a total cost, if you watch where you stay, and food. I choose to stay in the hilton, rent a car, and ate at some higher end places. Last year met a friend there from co also that kept it under 300 for everything.

I really liked the store/mail order also, made it a lot easier than waiting in line, and hoping they werent sold out of an item. I like the ticket queue system they implemented, since it actually gives you a status of where you are in line, and doesnt crap out like 2008's system
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
User avatar
Gladia
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Gladia wrote:I like the ticket queue system they implemented, since it actually gives you a status of where you are in line, and doesnt crap out like 2008's system


We had half the guild on vent camping the blizz store last year when tickets went on sale. One guy hit refresh 10 seconds after everyone else because his system lagged out when he tabbed out of wow, and he was 15 thousand places back.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Gladia » Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Gladia wrote:I like the ticket queue system they implemented, since it actually gives you a status of where you are in line, and doesnt crap out like 2008's system


We had half the guild on vent camping the blizz store last year when tickets went on sale. One guy hit refresh 10 seconds after everyone else because his system lagged out when he tabbed out of wow, and he was 15 thousand places back.



I lucked out the 2nd day, got in at 3500, but same friend had to get his on ebay, since he was 4000, only mere seconds after it opened. It is a lot better than 2008 though, when it brought down anything related to blizzard...
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
User avatar
Gladia
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed May 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Gladia wrote:I lucked out the 2nd day, got in at 3500, but same friend had to get his on ebay, since he was 4000, only mere seconds after it opened. It is a lot better than 2008 though, when it brought down anything related to blizzard...


The constructobot image still invokes a pavlovian fury response.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Santcuff » Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm

So I can go if I can somehow get tickets and save my money like hell :D
Image
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
User avatar
Santcuff
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am
Location: The Lurkmobile

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Boyfriend » Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 am

Blizzard probably greatly profits from the publicity the event generates. Not so much from the actual event.
Image
User avatar
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:16 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 am

I've never been to blizzcon and I have a week worth of vacation time that I can use up. Honostly I don't know anything about blizzcon other than you get some cool wow stuff for going, and they have some gaming going on while your there.

Does anyone have information of what they did, what happens and goes on, or maybe like a "blizzcon explained" website?

I'm at work so I can't even google it lol.

Might be something I would go to.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
User avatar
Shyrtandros
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Santcuff » Thu May 20, 2010 11:25 am

Shyrtandros wrote:I've never been to blizzcon and I have a week worth of vacation time that I can use up. Honostly I don't know anything about blizzcon other than you get some cool wow stuff for going, and they have some gaming going on while your there.

Does anyone have information of what they did, what happens and goes on, or maybe like a "blizzcon explained" website?

I'm at work so I can't even google it lol.

Might be something I would go to.

Well besides the awesome goody bags and the shop...

There are panals for Diable, Starcraft and WoW where the developers discuss new things theya re going to be adding to the game in the next few months to a year and stuff.

There are also tournaments you can watch were the best SC, Warcraft 3 and WoW arena players and competing against each other.

There is a costume contest, Sound a-like contest, a concert.

Oh and there are also computers where you can play content which isn't released yet. (last year you were able to play the begining area of the worgens and goblins)

Anything I miss?
Image
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
User avatar
Santcuff
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am
Location: The Lurkmobile

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Gladia » Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Santcuff wrote:
Shyrtandros wrote:I've never been to blizzcon and I have a week worth of vacation time that I can use up. Honostly I don't know anything about blizzcon other than you get some cool wow stuff for going, and they have some gaming going on while your there.

Does anyone have information of what they did, what happens and goes on, or maybe like a "blizzcon explained" website?

I'm at work so I can't even google it lol.

Might be something I would go to.

Well besides the awesome goody bags and the shop...

There are panals for Diable, Starcraft and WoW where the developers discuss new things theya re going to be adding to the game in the next few months to a year and stuff.

There are also tournaments you can watch were the best SC, Warcraft 3 and WoW arena players and competing against each other.

There is a costume contest, Sound a-like contest, a concert.

Oh and there are also computers where you can play content which isn't released yet. (last year you were able to play the begining area of the worgens and goblins)

Anything I miss?



The Realm Meetup, the vendor booths with more free stuff

A "Quest" treasure hunt

The Guild was there last year, personally meeting Felicia Day was just awesome, and actually getting to talk with them, since they just closed the booth when we walked up, but allowed us in

The opportunity to win a lot of limited edition items, such as the worgen/SC3/Diablo posters for finding the rare item, along with the first 3 winners got nvidia video cards.

Intel giving away core i7 extreme processors, and other intel gear, bags, shirts, motherboards, etc.

The developer autograph/question booth, where you could have them sign various Blizzard gear, and ask specific questions directly to the devs.

And not to mention the stuff outside the con, LA is only 20-30 mins away depending on the day and time, if your willing to drive a little farther, north is San Fran, or south is San Diego, and mission beach/coronado naval.

If your planning on going, but arent going to rent a car, there is a lot of hotels within walking distance ranging from 50-300 a night. The hilton right next to the conv center, more of 10 feet, runs usually 150-299 for a night, depending on how many beds, a disney or non disney facing room.

Also, most people are willing to give others going to the con rides from the airport, plus 90% of hotels have shuttle services for a small fee, or free, if you watch the blizzcon forums on the wow site, or post an offer there, a lot of people will help you out.

Food is a mere .5 miles down the road at the garden walk, disney is right across katella from the conv center.

:Edit: And the most important part, the Hilton after party! i dont think ive ever seen a hotel where you couldnt move through anywhere cause there was that many people. Plus open doors, people partying in the hallways, pool area, sun decks, lobby, elevators.
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
User avatar
Gladia
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Postby mew » Thu May 20, 2010 2:02 pm

I wouldn't say to use the free stuff as a major selling point since not everyone gets it. Vanifae is a lucky duck and got a bunch of cool things.

The reason I go is for the social aspect. It's great fun to meet and hang out with people from your guild, also to be around so many other Blizzard fans. Vanifae and I got interviewed by PBS last year for some sort of internet and socializing documentary they were doing, I never heard what became of that (lulz, rare interracial couple that also met on videya games?!).
Playing the betas is pretty fun too. I also think the live PvP is fun to watch.

It's mainly panels, so you get to see all the new upcoming stuff. There are also Q and A sessions with the developers (but these are hard to get in to to ask your own questions). You can try to get autographs or pictures taken with Blizzard high-ups.

Often times people have their own different reasons for going.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu May 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Gladia wrote:
Santcuff wrote:
Shyrtandros wrote:I've never been to blizzcon and I have a week worth of vacation time that I can use up. Honostly I don't know anything about blizzcon other than you get some cool wow stuff for going, and they have some gaming going on while your there.

Does anyone have information of what they did, what happens and goes on, or maybe like a "blizzcon explained" website?

I'm at work so I can't even google it lol.

Might be something I would go to.

Well besides the awesome goody bags and the shop...

There are panals for Diable, Starcraft and WoW where the developers discuss new things theya re going to be adding to the game in the next few months to a year and stuff.

There are also tournaments you can watch were the best SC, Warcraft 3 and WoW arena players and competing against each other.

There is a costume contest, Sound a-like contest, a concert.

Oh and there are also computers where you can play content which isn't released yet. (last year you were able to play the begining area of the worgens and goblins)

Anything I miss?



The Realm Meetup, the vendor booths with more free stuff

A "Quest" treasure hunt

The Guild was there last year, personally meeting Felicia Day was just awesome, and actually getting to talk with them, since they just closed the booth when we walked up, but allowed us in

The opportunity to win a lot of limited edition items, such as the worgen/SC3/Diablo posters for finding the rare item, along with the first 3 winners got nvidia video cards.

Intel giving away core i7 extreme processors, and other intel gear, bags, shirts, motherboards, etc.

The developer autograph/question booth, where you could have them sign various Blizzard gear, and ask specific questions directly to the devs.

And not to mention the stuff outside the con, LA is only 20-30 mins away depending on the day and time, if your willing to drive a little farther, north is San Fran, or south is San Diego, and mission beach/coronado naval.

If your planning on going, but arent going to rent a car, there is a lot of hotels within walking distance ranging from 50-300 a night. The hilton right next to the conv center, more of 10 feet, runs usually 150-299 for a night, depending on how many beds, a disney or non disney facing room.

Also, most people are willing to give others going to the con rides from the airport, plus 90% of hotels have shuttle services for a small fee, or free, if you watch the blizzcon forums on the wow site, or post an offer there, a lot of people will help you out.

Food is a mere .5 miles down the road at the garden walk, disney is right across katella from the conv center.

:Edit: And the most important part, the Hilton after party! i dont think ive ever seen a hotel where you couldnt move through anywhere cause there was that many people. Plus open doors, people partying in the hallways, pool area, sun decks, lobby, elevators.


Cool stuff, I'm going to look more into some of this and I'll consider going with my wow buddy who I go bowling with and is also 1 of my guild officers.

When I called him to ask if he would like to go to blizzcon he said only if I see TaTa's and then HELL YES!
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
User avatar
Shyrtandros
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu May 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Last year Intel was there handing out buttons that had bar codes on them. You took the buttons to the booth, they scanned it, and you would win some kind of swag. A hat, a sticker, or a fully goddamn tricked out gaming notebook.

There was this 9734093043 year old gnome woman wearing a "Staff security" vest in line in front of us.

Guess what she fucking won.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Vanifae » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 am

I need to frame my Worgen Cataclysm poster signed by the staff.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon May 24, 2010 9:17 am

Are there special events each year or something that makes blizzcon such a big deal?

Only going off what I've read here on the Q&A sessions and maybe watching some pvp it doesn't seem like much happens :|.

I have heard that you get special rewards for going to blizzcon like ingame pet or mount - however is that worthy of the easy 1,000 dollars each person to go ?

I'm just asking because if I can find good reasons I'll attempt to buy tickets and my honey and me will go.

I'm just a worry wart that I'll spend all my vacation money to basicly spend 3 nights in a hotel and get a ingame pet / mount.

Anyone have specific pro's for going?

Thank you for the information by the way :D
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
User avatar
Shyrtandros
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby mew » Mon May 24, 2010 10:06 am

Shyrtandros wrote:Are there special events each year or something that makes blizzcon such a big deal?

Only going off what I've read here on the Q&A sessions and maybe watching some pvp it doesn't seem like much happens :|.

I have heard that you get special rewards for going to blizzcon like ingame pet or mount - however is that worthy of the easy 1,000 dollars each person to go ?

I'm just asking because if I can find good reasons I'll attempt to buy tickets and my honey and me will go.

I'm just a worry wart that I'll spend all my vacation money to basicly spend 3 nights in a hotel and get a ingame pet / mount.

Anyone have specific pro's for going?

Thank you for the information by the way :D

Haha, not really. The only "special events" are really the concert and the contests. The rest is a bunch of small fun stuff, panels, PvP, beta play, meeting friends, trying to win prizes, merchandise, the CA vacation, etc. It's more of an experience rather than what you physically get out of it.
Personally, I'm not in to the panels or new information because you can just watch it on youtube a few hours after it is announced. I go to hang out with friends and for the general atmosphere. It's hard to describe the atmosphere...
If you really want the pet/mount you could go for the DirectTV feed, that only comes out to less than $50 (does anyone know how much it is exactly?).

I have heard of people that go and don't enjoy it, but I think most people that go have a lot of fun.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Santcuff » Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 am

Directv was 40 dollars last year.
Image
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
User avatar
Santcuff
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am
Location: The Lurkmobile

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 am

Santcuff wrote:Directv was 40 dollars last year.


Do you still get the goodies for the direct tv? or just watch it and some minor perk?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
User avatar
Shyrtandros
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Santcuff » Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 am

Shyrtandros wrote:
Santcuff wrote:Directv was 40 dollars last year.


Do you still get the goodies for the direct tv? or just watch it and some minor perk?

I got the Grunty the murloc marine for getting the driectv stream, thats it though.
Image
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
User avatar
Santcuff
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am
Location: The Lurkmobile

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Vanifae » Mon May 24, 2010 12:04 pm

You normally only get the digital items for the DirectTV stuff.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby mew » Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Vanifae wrote:You normally only get the digital items for the DirectTV stuff.

And you get them later too. I think they come in the mail or something. We had some guy from guild who didn't get his until about a month or so after Blizzcon.
I don't think you get a beta key with DirectTV either, but who knows if they are even going to do one this year (they didn't last year).
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 am

mew wrote:
Vanifae wrote:You normally only get the digital items for the DirectTV stuff.

And you get them later too. I think they come in the mail or something. We had some guy from guild who didn't get his until about a month or so after Blizzcon.
I don't think you get a beta key with DirectTV either, but who knows if they are even going to do one this year (they didn't last year).


So wait - I'm confused.. if you go to Blizzcon will you get a beta key for like cataclysm or something?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
User avatar
Shyrtandros
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Pfife » Tue May 25, 2010 9:41 am

Shyrtandros wrote:
mew wrote:
Vanifae wrote:You normally only get the digital items for the DirectTV stuff.

And you get them later too. I think they come in the mail or something. We had some guy from guild who didn't get his until about a month or so after Blizzcon.
I don't think you get a beta key with DirectTV either, but who knows if they are even going to do one this year (they didn't last year).


So wait - I'm confused.. if you go to Blizzcon will you get a beta key for like cataclysm or something?


Based on speculation that Cata will be out this year and the convention is held in October. I would not bet on getting a key for Cata beta. Though the speculation could be wrong so I don't really know. I'm hoping I can get a ticket and the beta key they will be giving out is for Diablo 3. This is also just going on speculation that they have given beta keys in the past. Just keep an eye out for a list of things they are giving either here or the official site.
Ghostcrawler: Right. If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.
User avatar
Pfife
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Macktruck » Tue May 25, 2010 11:01 am

Maybe we could get a free month of play for Cata or something. You never know!

I never went to any of the previous Blizzcons due to money constraints or the fact that I was going on a trip somewhere else.

Though, I'll definitely be buying a plane ticket if I can get a blizzcon ticket or if I can buy an extra one off one of my friends if I don't get it.
Image
Macktruck
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Blizzcon

Postby Santcuff » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:19 am

Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 7 PM Pacific so Good Luck to everyone attempting to get tickets.
Image
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
User avatar
Santcuff
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am
Location: The Lurkmobile

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest