Remove Advertisements

Orangutan's Kickboxing

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Orangutan's Kickboxing

Postby Chicken » Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 am

Lightbeard wrote:
Amarant_Pally wrote:Humans are the "dominant animal" for reasons unexplained (God? Evolution? Pure luck? Who cares?).

If some animals die out because we killed it, isn't that Darwinism at it's best (despite what you may believe religiously)?

I mean, look at the Dodo bird. Pure fucking ugly.

This sense of "preservation" is overrated, and that extends to humans as well.

Didn't the dodo bird die out because it had limited intelligence and was fat as hell and couldn't fly
Probably, but it's ultimate cause of extinction was a fatal outbreak of hungry sailor pets. So amusingly dodos were only indirectly killed by humans, some were hunted and killed by humans, but apparently they tasted terrible compared to pretty much everything else that lived on the island of Mauritius.
Chicken

Postby mew » Thu May 13, 2010 6:27 am

Lightbeard wrote:
Amarant_Pally wrote:Humans are the "dominant animal" for reasons unexplained (God? Evolution? Pure luck? Who cares?).

If some animals die out because we killed it, isn't that Darwinism at it's best (despite what you may believe religiously)?

I mean, look at the Dodo bird. Pure fucking ugly.

This sense of "preservation" is overrated, and that extends to humans as well.

Didn't the dodo bird die out because it had limited intelligence and was fat as hell and couldn't fly
The reasons for humans being dominant over apes are pretty well known. The reasons as to how exactly we became dominant over similar hominid species at the time are a bit more uncertain. First it was bipedalism and our ability to create and use tools. But beyond that we basically we had a "better" intelligence to nutrients-needed ratio, brains need a ton of energy. There are a lot of different theories though.

Humans definitely directly killed the Moa bird of New Zealand :( Those things looked awesome, like llama ostriches. And then as a result their main natural predator (some giant-ass hawks, I forget their name) died off as well.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Joanadark » Thu May 13, 2010 7:30 am

Highly recommend the book "The Third Chimpanzee - The Evolution And Future of the Human Animal" by Jared Diamond.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Zobel » Thu May 13, 2010 8:18 am

mew wrote:Humans definitely directly killed the Moa bird of New Zealand :( Those things looked awesome, like llama ostriches. And then as a result their main natural predator (some giant-ass hawks, I forget their name) died off as well.

Haast's eagle.
Zobel

Postby Lightbeard » Fri May 14, 2010 8:06 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_18445_7- ... imals.html

That giant bear still gives me nightmares
Lightbeard

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum