Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Orangutan's Kickboxing

Postby Lightbeard » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdpRyIZP ... r_embedded

My life is another step towards being complete
Lightbeard

Re: Orangutan's Kickboxing

Postby isiz » Mon May 10, 2010 4:26 pm

How about some orangutan on wereodile action?
http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/fashionably-late.html
ImageImage
Tuesday maintenance is merely a setback!
isiz

Postby Lightbeard » Mon May 10, 2010 9:13 pm

isiz wrote:How about some orangutan on wereodile action?
http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/fashionably-late.html

"Bang Clyde"
Lightbeard

Postby Aelissa » Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am

I can see how you'd find this amusing, but it's actually quite sad. Orangutans are at the brink of extinction, with their habitat in Indonesia rapidly disappearing, and orangutans like these live a sad life, as documented through [edit:] debatable research into the treatment of primates in the South-East Asian entertainment industry. (See http://www.animalsandsociety.org/assets/library/227_s15327604jaws08026.pdf)

... Yeah, I never get invited much at parties either for some reason. ;)
Last edited by Aelissa on Wed May 12, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aelissa

Postby culhag » Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am

Aelissa wrote:I can see how you'd find this amusing, but it's actually quite sad.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightbeard » Tue May 11, 2010 12:25 pm

It really is something I wanted to see before I die. A little cruel maybe but then again so is the circus.
Lightbeard

Postby Joanadark » Tue May 11, 2010 6:21 pm

Aelissa wrote:I can see how you'd find this amusing, but it's actually quite sad. Orangutans are at the brink of extinction, with their habitat in Indonesia rapidly disappearing, and orangutans like these live a sad life, as documented through extensive research into the treatment of primates in the South-East Asian entertainment industry. (See http://www.animalsandsociety.org/assets/library/227_s15327604jaws08026.pdf)

I read the article prepared to be outraged on behalf of orangutans, and with a sympathetic view towards the points I expected the article to make.

Instead I just got progressively more and more pissed off at the logical fallacies, lack of supporting evidence in the text, and constant interjection of wild emotional claims, all of which severely detracted from my ability as a sympathetic reader to take the article seriously or believe it's conclusions to be factually based.

/sigh
PETA can be it's own worst enemy sometimes. It's hard to find fanaticism compelling as a rational person, even if the cause is good despite the fanatic.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Amarant_Pally » Tue May 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Humans are the "dominant animal" for reasons unexplained (God? Evolution? Pure luck? Who cares?).

If some animals die out because we killed it, isn't that Darwinism at it's best (despite what you may believe religiously)?

I mean, look at the Dodo bird. Pure fucking ugly.

This sense of "preservation" is overrated, and that extends to humans as well.
Amarant_Pally

Postby Joanadark » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Amarant_Pally wrote:Humans are the "dominant animal" for reasons unexplained (God? Evolution? Pure luck? Who cares?).

If some animals die out because we killed it, isn't that Darwinism at it's best (despite what you may believe religiously)?

I'd be curious about your views on genocide.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Joanadark wrote:
Aelissa wrote:I can see how you'd find this amusing, but it's actually quite sad. Orangutans are at the brink of extinction, with their habitat in Indonesia rapidly disappearing, and orangutans like these live a sad life, as documented through extensive research into the treatment of primates in the South-East Asian entertainment industry. (See http://www.animalsandsociety.org/assets/library/227_s15327604jaws08026.pdf)

I read the article prepared to be outraged on behalf of orangutans, and with a sympathetic view towards the points I expected the article to make.

Instead I just got progressively more and more pissed off at the logical fallacies, lack of supporting evidence in the text, and constant interjection of wild emotional claims, all of which severely detracted from my ability as a sympathetic reader to take the article seriously or believe it's conclusions to be factually based.

/sigh
PETA can be it's own worst enemy sometimes. It's hard to find fanaticism compelling as a rational person, even if the cause is good despite the fanatic.

PETA is unquestionably it's own worst enemy. There is so much good an organization like that can do, but they often ignore what they should be doing to go so far over the top it's just silly... such a disastrous waste of resources.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Aelissa » Wed May 12, 2010 5:06 am

I don't think the article has anything to do with PETA, does it? Or is there a link between this journal of applied animal welfare science and PETA? I can at least assure you my views have nothing to do with them, PETA means nothing in Europe (seriously, no one here has even heard of them).

This is a profile of the author of that article:http://www.caalca.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146&Itemid=92&lang=en. He does not seem to have anything to do with this PETA.

I can see why you would associate him with the typical PETA nutjobbery when he makes claims such as "Today it is legal to use endangered nonhuman primates for shows in zoos, recreational parks, and resorts. Tomorrow, fast-food restaurants, gasoline stations, and supermarkets may apply for permits to display nonhuman primates to entertain customers while they eat, pump gasoline, and purchase groceries." I'm not sure what to think about that either, to be honest. He could probably have kept his tone a bit more neutral. :lol:

Having re-read the article, I am also a bit concerned about his lack of information about his sample size. His general assesement (small cramped cages, isolation from primates resulting in a lack of social intereaction with his own species, high levels of stress) seem to confirm what I have heard elsewhere (which unfortunately was a documentary on television so I can't really link to that.)

I do agree that the article isn't really holding up to scientific standards, and have tried finding some other article, whether pro or con, and can't really find anything. If anyone knows of such an article, please share it. For now, I will only say I still feel that these orangutans shouldn't really be kept to do things like this.
Aelissa

Postby Joanadark » Wed May 12, 2010 8:11 am

The article cites PETA sources several times, and lists PETA in the footnotes. It was fairly subtle compared to, as you put it, "their usual nutjobbery", but the tone was pretty consistent with a heavy PETA influence throughout. Generally the PETA citations were smack in the middle of some of the more off the wall statements, when the article diverged from the scientific study of the various zoos and started firing off exaggerated conclusions of it's own.
Joanadark

Postby Aelissa » Wed May 12, 2010 8:29 am

Ah, I am sorry I missed that.
Aelissa

Postby Joanadark » Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 am

Whatever. Silly article is silly.

In conclusion, SAVE THE ORANGUTANS!!!
Joanadark

Postby Lightbeard » Wed May 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Amarant_Pally wrote:Humans are the "dominant animal" for reasons unexplained (God? Evolution? Pure luck? Who cares?).

Didn't the dodo bird die out because it had limited intelligence and was fat as hell and couldn't fly
Lightbeard

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum