File Association Issue - HALP!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

File Association Issue - HALP!

Postby Joanadark » Sun May 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Been looking for a solution to this problem I've been having for several weeks and I'm at a loss. Figured I'd see if any of the computer-savy people of this good community had any ideas.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit OS, and I cannot open or run any programs.
Any shortcut or .exe file that I click on, or any other method I use to run a program results in the "Open With: Choose the program you want to open this file with." box to come up. If I hit the Browse button and manually navigate through my files to find the program location and choose it, the whole thing hickups and just attempts to run the program, can't, and opens up the Open With box again in an endless loop.

Ironically, I have been easily able to access a web browser this whole time by hitting the "Look for the appropriate program on the web" link at the bottom of the Open With box when I try to open Firefox, which extremely ironically opens up a Firefox browser to search for the appropriate program to open Firefox with, and then tells me it cannot find it and has no idea why it eats paint chips. Yes that's a direct quote.

I've been making do like this for a few weeks now, because when the problem started happening I was in the middle of doing my taxes and couldn't afford to do a full system restore. Now I am reluctant to try a system restore because it will result in me losing a pretty massive amount of data because my save point is so old (yes, shame on me).

I've tried Microsoft customer service, but I should have known better.
I've tried web searches to see if other people have had this problem, and everywhere I read posts about it the moderators just seem like they're telling people they are idiots and that they need to locate the files using the Browse option and fix the File Association that way, as if none of us had any idea how File Association works.

Anyone have any ideas?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Re: File Association Issue - HALP!

Postby Arnock » Sun May 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Without being too familiar with win 7, usually when having to browse for a program to open a file, there's an "always do this with files of this type" sort of an option to check.

You've probably done this already, but it never hurts to make sure.

If not, this might be able to help you
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/2 ... ows-vista/
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Flex » Sun May 09, 2010 7:55 pm

We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 pm

A system restore will probably not cause you too lose much of anything, it tends to handle user data files properly, it's not like a re-image.

My guess is that that registry fix will work for you, but if it doesn't check your PATH environment variable and make sure it has your standard windows directories included.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Gladia » Mon May 10, 2010 10:50 am

Fridmarr wrote:A system restore will probably not cause you too lose much of anything, it tends to handle user data files properly, it's not like a re-image.

This is true, a system restore does not affect data at all, just installed applications/patches/updates to software, so you will have to reinstall those, and from my home system, also win7 x64 prof, system restore is set to create a restore point usually daily, and when anything is installed.

For fixing the .exe association, ive only seen that happen once on a system, and that was with AV 2008 malware, could not launch any applications, incl system utilites to recover it, had to wipe it and start over. However, that was also XP, and the Win RE(recovery environment) on the win7 install/upgrade/oem disc has a lot more tools, and you can run a system restore from there, without being in windows, as long as the drive is not encrypted, if it is, you will need your recovery keys for bitlocker.
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Return to Arkham Asylum