Remove Advertisements

Happy Day I found a box I didnt know I had.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Happy Day I found a box I didnt know I had.

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:22 am

mew wrote:I did :O I was in girl scouts up until 7th grade. Then the troop leader's daughter decided that she was too lesbian to be a girl scout (not literally, but that's basically it), so the troop disbanded :( I was never a super-scout though. I would go to some events, get like 2 or 3 badges a year, sell cookies to relatives and door to door around the block, etc. I think I would sell around 50 boxes, but there was always that girl that sold over a thousand (I went to a private school, there were probably girls whose fathers were high-ups at companies and their employees would buy a bunch to try and look good, my next door neighbor's dad was a FexEx CEO D: ). My family was friends with some Indians that owned a bagel store and they let our troop set up outside their shop one weekend, I think that sold a ton.

Well, the reason why I tried to sell so much popcorn was that I received 20% of what I sold to use to pay for -my- expenses at Boy Scout activities. The BSA Council would give each scout that sells over $110 (I think) 10% of their sales as a certificate that can be used for BSA sanctioned events (summer camps, jamboree) or BSA merchandise. A portion of what was sold was give to the council, a portion to the troops. My troop also gave 10% of what a scout sold to use on BSA sanctioned and troop sanctioned activities, so the year I sold over $1,500 I received over $300 to spend on BSA activities. Twas awesome.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Lifelace » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 am

Talderas wrote:
Well, the reason why I tried to sell so much popcorn was that I received 20% of what I sold to use to pay for -my- expenses at Boy Scout activities. The BSA Council would give each scout that sells over $110 (I think) 10% of their sales as a certificate that can be used for BSA sanctioned events (summer camps, jamboree) or BSA merchandise. A portion of what was sold was give to the council, a portion to the troops. My troop also gave 10% of what a scout sold to use on BSA sanctioned and troop sanctioned activities, so the year I sold over $1,500 I received over $300 to spend on BSA activities. Twas awesome.

* in my best Fresh Prince of Bel-Air impersonation *

CHA CHING!!
Lifelace

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:35 am

Lifelace wrote:
Talderas wrote:

* in my best Fresh Prince of Bel-Air impersonation *

CHA CHING!!

Selling over $1,000 of popcorn pretty much paid for all your "official" boy scout activities. When I was in it, summer camp cost just a tad over $100, so with 10% of $1,000 you end up paying for most of your week of summer camp and summer camp was the best way for me to accrue merit badges. We were set up so that you could essentially take 6 merit badges in the week. The year I sold $1,500 in product I went for four weeks, by week four I was only taking 2 merit badges due to the previous three weeks and past years attendance to summer camp causing me to have earned all the rest of the offered merit badges. :D
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby mew » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:36 am

Talderas wrote:Well, the reason why I tried to sell so much popcorn was that I received 20% of what I sold to use to pay for -my- expenses at Boy Scout activities. The BSA Council would give each scout that sells over $110 (I think) 10% of their sales as a certificate that can be used for BSA sanctioned events (summer camps, jamboree) or BSA merchandise. A portion of what was sold was give to the council, a portion to the troops. My troop also gave 10% of what a scout sold to use on BSA sanctioned and troop sanctioned activities, so the year I sold over $1,500 I received over $300 to spend on BSA activities. Twas awesome.
That's pretty sweet.
We just got incredibly cheap prizes (I think 50 boxes got you a keychain). You could get cash for selling larger amounts of cookies but it wasn't even anything near 10% (I'm just making these numbers up, like a $50 gift card for 1000 boxes). But when you're little, selling 500 boxes of cookies to get that tiny stuffed unicorn sounds totally awesome.

Lifelace wrote:* in my best Fresh Prince of Bel-Air impersonation *

CHA CHING!!

Vids or it didn't happen.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:48 am

mew wrote:That's pretty sweet.
We just got incredibly cheap prizes (I think 50 boxes got you a keychain). You could get cash for selling larger amounts of cookies but it wasn't even anything near 10% (I'm just making these numbers up, like a $50 gift card for 1000 boxes). But when you're little, selling 500 boxes of cookies to get that tiny stuffed unicorn sounds totally awesome.

See, that is one of the reasons why I don't like the Girl Scout model of fundraising with cookies. They exploit the girls by promising trinkets. To get an appreciable reward for selling cookies you have to sell a crap-ton of product. A $50 gift certificate for 1000 boxes and how much does a single box cost, $6? So $6,000 and you get a reward that's worth less than a 1% of what you sell. I really don't comprehend who is getting the money from the girl scout fundraising and where it's going. That's why I like the Boy Scout method, it's well defined (I don't know the exact details) with a % going to the manufacturer of the product (to cover costs), a percent goes to the council, a percent goes to the troop, and a percent goes to the individual scout. There may be another % going to the national boy scout association, but I don't know for sure on that one. There's a direct stake for each scout to sell as much product as you can. Using a quantity based reward system just means that when you hit a quantity level (100, 200, 300, etc) you then have to decide if you want to make the effort to go to the next level and that level doesn't return any reward to the individual UNLESS you make the next level.
Talderas

Postby firstamendme » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:54 am

Talderas wrote:
theckhd wrote:(Why do I know this? My fiancee is a wealth of oddball knowledge, having been the daughter of a troop leader.)

I can't be the only one on these forums to have been a Boy Scout. :(

Life Scout here (quit just before Eagle as my troop meetings got a little to God involved). And my troop sold Hoagies and Pizza Kits, not popcorn.

edit: Talderas, Farscape is fucking amazing. That is all.
firstamendme

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:59 am

firstamendme wrote:Life Scout here (quit just before Eagle as my troop meetings got a little to God involved). And my troop sold Hoagies and Pizza Kits, not popcorn.

Ditto. I had a fully planned and ready to go Eagle project that I couldn't get support of the Scoutmaster on because of politics involving religion. I also had two eagle required merit badges that I had been putting off because they didn't interest me, but they would have been quick enough to burn through. I partially regret that, only because of the opportunities that would have opened for me if I had just shut up and got my Eagle, but I feel good about my decision. The Scoutmaster was taking a path that was neglecting a lot of the fundamental training and skills Boy Scouts were supposed to be receiving and really turning the troop into essentially a youth church.

Farscape is fucking amazing.

This.
Talderas

Postby firstamendme » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:01 am

Talderas wrote: I feel good about my decision. The Scoutmaster was taking a path that was neglecting a lot of the fundamental training and skills Boy Scouts were supposed to be receiving and really turning the troop into essentially a youth church.

Are you sure you weren't in my troop? This sounds exactly like mine in Hopewell, PA.

Creepy.
firstamendme

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 am

firstamendme wrote:Are you sure you weren't in my troop? This sounds exactly like mine in Hopewell, PA.

Creepy.

Nope, I wasn't. And for the record I was the Troop Guide and Instructor, so I was the Scout liaison for training and skill building. :lol:
Talderas

Postby Arnock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:09 am

Talderas wrote:
firstamendme wrote:Life Scout here (quit just before Eagle as my troop meetings got a little to God involved). And my troop sold Hoagies and Pizza Kits, not popcorn.

Ditto. I had a fully planned and ready to go Eagle project that I couldn't get support of the Scoutmaster on because of politics involving religion. I also had two eagle required merit badges that I had been putting off because they didn't interest me, but they would have been quick enough to burn through. I partially regret that, only because of the opportunities that would have opened for me if I had just shut up and got my Eagle, but I feel good about my decision. The Scoutmaster was taking a path that was neglecting a lot of the fundamental training and skills Boy Scouts were supposed to be receiving and really turning the troop into essentially a youth church.

Farscape is fucking amazing.

This.

I turned in my eagle app the day before my 18th Birthday, Family life, communications, all those other 'fun' eagle badges combined with my tendency to procrastinate.... yeah.

As for popcorn, I never sold very much, just a couple boxes to friends and family. I always was horrible at door to door fundraising. I always made money selling christmas trees, a local law office let us use their parking lot and we set up a little store. I was quite the salesman, knew the the characteristics of all the trees we were selling and whatnot. usually made enough to pay for camping trips and then some.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby bldavis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:27 am

Talderas wrote:
theckhd wrote:(Why do I know this? My fiancee is a wealth of oddball knowledge, having been the daughter of a troop leader.)

I can't be the only one on these forums to have been a Boy Scout. :(

I acheived life rank at 14, had all the merit badges plus about 20 extra, and even had my eagle project approved before i was 15, and didnt do a dam thing after that.

biggest regret of my life was not making eagle.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby bldavis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 am

also where i grew up, we didnt sell ANYTHING door to door, we just served as hawkers and ushers at the rodeo in town every september.

of the 10 yrs i works, i was top-seller every year but 2, my first (and my uncles last, i was 2cd), and the year my mom burned her foot by dumping a 85-cup coffee pot on it when a handle broke.

the rodeo was 4 days, plus the concert, 2 parades, and slack (first round timed events before the rodeo)
we worked all the first 3 days of the rodeo for 10% profits, if we worked all 3, we got 15% on saturday.
plus all tips.

several years i walked away with over $1k and my record was $1,565 from hawking alone.(that year i ended up with almost 3k)

not bad for a weeks work for a 12 yr old

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 am

bldavis wrote:I acheived life rank at 14, had all the merit badges plus about 20 extra, and even had my eagle project approved before i was 15, and didnt do a dam thing after that.

biggest regret of my life was not making eagle.

Exactly the same, Life at 14, had everything for Eagle by 15, along with around 70 merit badges, but I just ran into the wall with the Scoutmaster and basically quit scouting at 16. Everyone who was close to it regrets it, it just becomes a matter of if you can be satisfied with the reasons you didn't get it.
Talderas

Postby Lifelace » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 am

bldavis wrote:several years i walked away with over $1k and my record was $1,565 from hawking alone.(that year i ended up with almost 3k)

Oh that is how they train, amusement park/carnival game both employees. I am such a bad husband for not winning my wonderful wife a 5 inch stuffed animal. :wink:
Lifelace

Postby bldavis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 am

Lifelace wrote:
bldavis wrote:several years i walked away with over $1k and my record was $1,565 from hawking alone.(that year i ended up with almost 3k)

Oh that is how they train, amusement park/carnival game both employees. I am such a bad husband for not winning my wonderful wife a 5 inch stuffed animal. :wink:

lol

no thats hwo they train us to be greed bbackstabbing bastards!

the holes in my ribcage still havent fully healed.
however, it was kinda fun at the time to be fought over for a hawking partner (scares me now though when i realize 2 older dudes were almost throwing punches over getting to work with me)

bldavis

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum