Remove Advertisements

Happy Day I found a box I didnt know I had.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Happy Day I found a box I didnt know I had.

Postby mew » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am

Lifelace wrote:
bldavis wrote:several years i walked away with over $1k and my record was $1,565 from hawking alone.(that year i ended up with almost 3k)

not bad for a weeks work for a 12 yr old

Oh that is how they train, amusement park/carnival game both employees. I am such a bad husband for not winning my wonderful wife a 5 inch stuffed animal. :wink:
I was so excited when I started dating Vanifae and realized that I could finally get someone to win me carnival games. But he doesn't like doing fun things and won't go with me or won't play the games :( I got him to do the Strong Man thing the other month, there was no prize, but he hit the bell.
ImageImage
mew

Postby theckhd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 am

firstamendme wrote:Are you sure you weren't in my troop? This sounds exactly like mine in Hopewell, PA.

Creepy.

Wow, small world. I was in Reading, PA. But I think Reading and Hopewell had different Troops. In fact, I think Reading had several cub scout packs, but I'm not sure if they all fed into the same Boy Scout Troop or if there were several different ones within Reading.

I do know they would camp up at Hopewell fairly often though.

mew wrote:
theckhd wrote:
Talderas wrote:I can't be the only one on these forums to have been a Boy Scout. :(

.... who sold Girl Scout cookies?

I did :O

I wasn't asking "who sold Girl Scout cookies?" I was making a joke about the fact that being a Boy Scout wouldn't inherently make you knowledgeable about Girl Scout cookie selling. Unless you were a Boy Scout selling Girl Scout cookies. :P

The popcorn sale thing that the Boy Scouts do is similar in some respects, but much more equitable to the troop than the Girl Scout cookie system. The way my fiancee describes it, Cookie Sales are something required by the national organization, but give very little payout to the troop itself. It's really a racket they have going, if that information is true.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby 8bit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:13 am

Talderas wrote:
bldavis wrote:I acheived life rank at 14, had all the merit badges plus about 20 extra, and even had my eagle project approved before i was 15, and didnt do a dam thing after that.

biggest regret of my life was not making eagle.

Exactly the same, Life at 14, had everything for Eagle by 15, along with around 70 merit badges, but I just ran into the wall with the Scoutmaster and basically quit scouting at 16. Everyone who was close to it regrets it, it just becomes a matter of if you can be satisfied with the reasons you didn't get it.
I actually ended up finishing Eagle, but it certainly wasn't because I wanted to. My parents effectively forced me to do it. I also hit Life at 14, and took the entire four years to finish Eagle. Looking back, I'm glad I did, but I can honestly say I don't really agree with most of BSA's "ideals".

Also, I've only heard of those cookies as Samoas.
8bit

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:26 am

theckhd wrote:I wasn't asking "who sold Girl Scout cookies?" I was making a joke about the fact that being a Boy Scout wouldn't inherently make you knowledgeable about Girl Scout cookie selling. Unless you were a Boy Scout selling Girl Scout cookies. :P

The popcorn sale thing that the Boy Scouts do is similar in some respects, but much more equitable to the troop than the Girl Scout cookie system. The way my fiancee describes it, Cookie Sales are something required by the national organization, but give very little payout to the troop itself. It's really a racket they have going, if that information is true.

I don't know the internals of cookie sales, what I do know is the stories that have been told to me and how unfair it is to the girls selling them. We Boy Scouts also know very well our Girl Scout competitor's product. Popcorn is more expense than the cookies and the cookies taste better. It helps that we stagger popcorn time away from cookie time, but you never know. Your fiancee is probably telling the truth about it. The Girl Scouts do exploit the members to make money. I dug into the Boy Scout funding from popcorn sales and I believe it is 10% goes to the scout and 30% goes to the scout's troop, with the remaining 60% being distributed between the manufacturer (I'm sure at cost plus a little bit) the local council and probably the national organization.

--

As an aside....

Many people don't realize is that purchasing fund raiser items can be tax deductible, but only on the difference between what you paid and the cost if you bought it at the store.
Last edited by Talderas on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Shamora » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 am

Talderas wrote:
mew wrote:That's pretty sweet.
We just got incredibly cheap prizes (I think 50 boxes got you a keychain). You could get cash for selling larger amounts of cookies but it wasn't even anything near 10% (I'm just making these numbers up, like a $50 gift card for 1000 boxes). But when you're little, selling 500 boxes of cookies to get that tiny stuffed unicorn sounds totally awesome.

See, that is one of the reasons why I don't like the Girl Scout model of fundraising with cookies. They exploit the girls by promising trinkets. To get an appreciable reward for selling cookies you have to sell a crap-ton of product. A $50 gift certificate for 1000 boxes and how much does a single box cost, $6? So $6,000 and you get a reward that's worth less than a 1% of what you sell. I really don't comprehend who is getting the money from the girl scout fundraising and where it's going. That's why I like the Boy Scout method, it's well defined (I don't know the exact details) with a % going to the manufacturer of the product (to cover costs), a percent goes to the council, a percent goes to the troop, and a percent goes to the individual scout. There may be another % going to the national boy scout association, but I don't know for sure on that one. There's a direct stake for each scout to sell as much product as you can. Using a quantity based reward system just means that when you hit a quantity level (100, 200, 300, etc) you then have to decide if you want to make the effort to go to the next level and that level doesn't return any reward to the individual UNLESS you make the next level.

The Girl Scout model and the Boy Scout model are the same. The thing is the regional council decides what and how incentives are offered, sometimes with options between receiving more cash or one where you can earn trinkets. The Troop Leader then decides between the options. So perhaps you had a council and leader that handled things the way you like it. Maybe Mew had a council and leader that handled things differently. Also boxes of cookies are only 4$.

theckhd wrote:The way my fiancee describes it, Cookie Sales are something required by the national organization, but give very little payout to the troop itself. It's really a racket they have going, if that information is true.

No one HAS to sell cookies if they don't want to and .70$ out of each 4$ box goes straight the troop selling them. Then like 1$ goes to the bakery and the rest goes to the local council. The National HQ only receives money from the bakery for royalties.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby firstamendme » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:35 am

theckhd wrote:
firstamendme wrote:Are you sure you weren't in my troop? This sounds exactly like mine in Hopewell, PA.

Creepy.

Wow, small world. I was in Reading, PA. But I think Reading and Hopewell had different Troops. In fact, I think Reading had several cub scout packs, but I'm not sure if they all fed into the same Boy Scout Troop or if there were several different ones within Reading.

I do know they would camp up at Hopewell fairly often though.

Crazy. I actually lived in Eagle, PA. It is a tiny town between Downingtown and Glenmoore. The towns were so small that we had to go to Hopewell for scouts because there weren't enough boys otherwise. They took from Downingtown, Eagle, Lionville, Glenmoore....but thankfully not Coatesville.
firstamendme

Postby Arnock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:53 pm

8bit wrote:
Talderas wrote:
bldavis wrote:I acheived life rank at 14, had all the merit badges plus about 20 extra, and even had my eagle project approved before i was 15, and didnt do a dam thing after that.

biggest regret of my life was not making eagle.

Exactly the same, Life at 14, had everything for Eagle by 15, along with around 70 merit badges, but I just ran into the wall with the Scoutmaster and basically quit scouting at 16. Everyone who was close to it regrets it, it just becomes a matter of if you can be satisfied with the reasons you didn't get it.
I actually ended up finishing Eagle, but it certainly wasn't because I wanted to. My parents effectively forced me to do it. I also hit Life at 14, and took the entire four years to finish Eagle. Looking back, I'm glad I did, but I can honestly say I don't really agree with most of BSA's "ideals".

Also, I've only heard of those cookies as Samoas.

I was like... second class at 14, got life sometime when I was 17, and barely managed to get my eagle. Moving across the country when I was 12 I sort of dropped out of scouts for a couple years, kinda put me a bit behind schedule. But in the end, I'm glad I put the effort in to finish it off. I would have been pissed at myself otherwise.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:22 pm

I was in Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts for about 6 months. It proved far too much effort for no discernible reward to my young mind.
I didn't know Boy Scouts sold stuff. I don't think I've even seen a Boy Scout in years.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum