Remove Advertisements

So I just re-installed NWN Diamond...

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

So I just re-installed NWN Diamond...

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:58 am

Last night I re-installed Neverwinter Nights: Diamond for PC (the original game + 2 x-packs). After I finally installed the workarounds to get it to work on Vista, I looked up a FAQ about multi-classing and prestige classes and holy crap have I forgotten my D&D rules. I'm trying to figure out whether I want to make a Dragon Disciple or not, and it says that that prestige class is only available to Sorcerers and Bards.

To anyone who has played this and remembers, or knows their 3rd edition well enough...

If I multiclass Sorc with something else, can I still do the Dragon Disciple prestige class? If I multiclass with Bard will it work? I remember Monks being totally OP, so was thinking about going Sorc/Monk (mostly sorc) with Dragon Disciple prestige class if possible.

Creating characters in this game is so awesomely involved.
firstamendme

Re: So I just re-installed NWN Diamond...

Postby ulushnar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 am

Yes, if you multiclass into a class, even for one level, then you count as having that class for the purposes of qualifying for prestige classes.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:17 am

ulushnar wrote:Yes, if you multiclass into a class, even for one level, then you count as having that class for the purposes of qualifying for prestige classes.

More or less. Usually it requires a few levels. Dragon Disciple, if i recall correctly, requires third level arcane spontaneous spellcaster, so sorcerer/bard3, among other classes.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks for the info. That prestige class looks like fun so I'm thinking of going Sorc/Monk or even Sorc/Bard since I can buff my wife's barbarian that way.

Although, Sorc/Ranger Arcane Archer looks pretty sweet too.
firstamendme

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:24 am

Monks are a tricky deal to multiclass into. They really require an excellent stat distribution to funciton as well as other classes, and sorc/disciple don't use the wisdom monks need at the top.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:30 am

I may just go straight sorc(or wiz)-->disciple then. TBH I just want the wings.
firstamendme

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am

Wizard doesn't count for the prestige. They're not spontaneous casters.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 am

Damnation. Forgot about that req.

I hate making a character without a clear cut path as the game requires a fair amount of time investment. So much so that I would hate to hit level 15 and realize I've made an underpowered mish-mosh.
firstamendme

Postby Talderas » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 am

The requirements for RDD are to have 1 level of Sorcerer or Bard and a Lore skill of 8.

So if you want to do Monk/RDD and are only taking Sorc/Bard for the Prereq, do the following.... go monk for the first 4 levels. For level 5 multiclass to Bard then spend 8 skill points on lore. Level 6 you will be able to qualify for the class. However you will need to have 14+ intelligence in order to do that, since Bards only get 6 skill points per level. The other option is to burn 4 skill points on Lore (Cross-class for monk) prior to reaching lv5 for two ranks of Lore.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 am

Talderas wrote:The requirements for RDD are to have 1 level of Sorcerer or Bard and a Lore skill of 8.

So if you want to do Monk/RDD and are only taking Sorc/Bard for the Prereq, do the following.... go monk for the first 4 levels. For level 5 multiclass to Bard then spend 8 skill points on lore. Level 6 you will be able to qualify for the class. However you will need to have 14+ intelligence in order to do that, since Bards only get 6 skill points per level. The other option is to burn 4 skill points on Lore (Cross-class for monk) prior to reaching lv5 for two ranks of Lore.

Lore is not cross classed to anyone.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:14 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Talderas wrote:The requirements for RDD are to have 1 level of Sorcerer or Bard and a Lore skill of 8.

Lore is not cross classed to anyone.

Ah, so it is. Then ignore what I said about spending 4 for 2 or 14 int. The earliest you can take RDD is Lv6 though.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:26 am

If i just decide to fark it and go Bard---->Disciple, would that be shitty to play? I love a challenge, but I don't want to be making things stupid hard on myself the first time through after years of forgetting the mechanics of the environment.
firstamendme

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:32 am

Hmm. Disciple doesn't give you more spellcasting, and it's ten levels...so you'll not have much on the lines of spellcasting. You may want to only be arcane till you meet the requisites, and then focus on something else, like a fighter or paladin.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 am

In NWN2:

RDD -For melee builds only, it does nothing for casters. 10 levels gets you +4 AC, blind-fight, +8 to strength, +2 to constitution, +2 to intelligence, +2 to charisma, immunity to fire, immunity to paralysis, 12 hitpoints per level, a breath weapon and fortitude and will as high saving throws. You lose 3 BAB because it is a 3/4 AB class (really 4 because you have to take a bard or sorcerer level), but the strength bonus makes up the BAB loss and if you take a bard level you can use the courage inspiration for a net +1 to AB.

DwD (Dwarven Defender)- For dwarves only, you get some damage reduction (6 points at level 10), +4 AC, defensive stance (which gives you another +4 to AC), full BAB progression, 12 hitpoints per level and fortitude and will as high saving throws.

EK (Eldrich Knight)- Mostly for wizards and sorcerers, but some Bards get some use out of it. Full caster level progression (except at level 1) and full BAB progression.

ASoC (Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep)- For Wizards and Sorcerers. Free metamagic feats and improved versions of those feats that let you use them one level lower than you would before.

Stormlord- For Clerics and Favored Souls (though druids and spirit shamans can get some use from it). Immunity to electricity, Extended Storm Avatar, Full Caster Progression, +3 to hit and damage with spear and thrown weapons, the ability to add electrical and sonic damage to those weapons.

Neverwinter Nine- Full BAB progression, +2D6 sneak attack and bonus to the saves of all your alies with no prerequisites. Just don't take more than 3 or 4 levels of it

SToA (Shadowthief of Amn)- 3/4 BAB progression, bonus feats at levels 2 and 4, +4 to bluff. A good class for rogues who use feint to generate sneak attacks since Feinting requires a sky high bluff skill to work reliably.

FB (Frenzied Berserker)- Full BAB progression, increased power attack damage. Good for killing weak enemies very quickly, but doesn't really give you any benefits against enemies whose AC is comparable to the AB of your highest AB attack.

Most of the other prestige classes have their uses and times when they are beneficial. But the ones I've mentioned above are generally considered the strongest.

From the Official Forums page (which is really uselful for BioWare!!).

I think I'm just going to say fark having wings and go for either the EK or ASoC. The only decision then is to figure out Wiz or Sorc.
firstamendme

Postby Argali » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm

That says it's NWN2 info lol.

Don't forget about multiclassing penalty!
Argali

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum