Remove Advertisements

Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Sabin

Don't diet, change your lifestyle. It's actually easier and provides the best chance that it will work long term anyhow. Start with the basics that are hard to argue with, increase the percentage of your diet that comes from fruits and vegetables, and try to remove as much processed food from your eating as possible. Create habits that support those goals so that eating better is second nature. There are plenty of resources available online that can help you.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Shoju wrote:Say Hello to a Shoju that now weighs less than 200 lbs.

congratulations!

I've been cheating too much on my diet... everything I have been trying to stick to food-wise now tastes shitty to me, when a week ago I was thinking to myself "yeah this can work, I can do this!"

Listen to Fridmarr.

It's just words really, but a change in lifestyle, as opposed to calling it a diet makes it SO MUCH EASIER I also find that I'm a more active participant in food shopping than I ever was. i want to know what I'm eating, and what I'm using to prepare food now that I care what I put in my body. I block out Sunday Mornings while the kiddoes are at church to go to the grocery.

And..... Hey! More Progress shots!

A refresher on where my wife and I were in weight. This is almost a year ago.

I'm that big guy in the middle. My wife is directly to the right of me (my left). This next picture is a little harder to see, but this was Saturday, at the Chili Cookoff I participated in. The kids, are mine, and that is my lovely wife on my side again.

94 pounds, and still going. I'd like to lose at least 20 more, but looking at my body right now, I might try and push for 30, and more tone.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I love progress shots! You guys look fantastic. Can I ask how much your wife has lost? (I know women tend to be more sensitive so not sure if you want to broadcast that.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Sabin

Don't diet, change your lifestyle. It's actually easier and provides the best chance that it will work long term anyhow. Start with the basics that are hard to argue with, increase the percentage of your diet that comes from fruits and vegetables, and try to remove as much processed food from your eating as possible. Create habits that support those goals so that eating better is second nature. There are plenty of resources available online that can help you.

I mean a lot of what you're saying is what I've been doing... I've all but stopped ordering delivery dinner and have been pretty good about cooking for myself the past few months, with a heavy balance towards vegetables, whole grains, lean meat/fish. I don't think I am necessarily "doing it wrong" so to speak.

I'm not sure I like the whole "change your lifestyle" thing. I've heard it said so many times without any real substance that I'm not really sure what it's supposed to mean.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby cdan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:41 pm

It generally means that you should pay attention to what you eat. Not just quantities, but providence of produce, etc. It doesn't take much extra effort, but very often it takes a change of attitude about food. Not all food is created equal and the food production industry do not have your bests interests in mind - realising that and changing your eating habits accordingly is the single biggest lifestyle change in this context i.e. replacing "convenience" and pre-packaged foodstuffs with fresh produce and freshly cooked meals.

Everything else is just other people's advice from personal experience, but without that break from where most people are in terms of food and what they consume these days you are fighting an uphill battle.
cdan

Postby Zalaria » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Another big part of what it means is you can't go back to how you ate and lived before you changed. Lots of people will diet and exercise for a while, get to their goal weight, then go right back to eating shittily and doing nothing, inevitably followed by complaining when the weight comes back.
When people talking about changing your lifestyle, they mean committing to eating healthy and taking care of yourself even once you've reached your goals. You have a bit more leeway when you're maintaining weight instead of losing it, but you still need to take care of yourself.

All that was about a general "you" and not you specifically, Sabin. It sounds like you're pretty much doing it already, so I'd say just keep it up.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Does anyone have this thing about eating food you cooked for yourselves? And by "thing," I mean that I find food I cooked for myself to be disgusting and unappetizing, even though everyone else likes it or loves it. I'm fine with someone else cooking it, but if I'm doing the cooking, it gets to the point that I put it on the plate, look at it, then just walk away.

(Of course, I am finding myself less and less interested in food altogether, which leads to irritation when the subject comes of up, "what's for dinner?" and my predictable answer of, "I don't care.")
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I love progress shots! You guys look fantastic. Can I ask how much your wife has lost? (I know women tend to be more sensitive so not sure if you want to broadcast that.)

She has lost... Uh.... 35? 37? Pounds? MFP says 35, but I don't see a recent "Lost weight" post from her, so I'm guessing she didn't input the recent loss.
Shoju

Postby cdan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Amirya wrote:Does anyone have this thing about eating food you cooked for yourselves? And by "thing," I mean that I find food I cooked for myself to be disgusting and unappetizing, even though everyone else likes it or loves it. I'm fine with someone else cooking it, but if I'm doing the cooking, it gets to the point that I put it on the plate, look at it, then just walk away.

(Of course, I am finding myself less and less interested in food altogether, which leads to irritation when the subject comes of up, "what's for dinner?" and my predictable answer of, "I don't care.")

Not unusual at all. When you are doing most of the cooking that can happen easily. You either have to find a way of doing the task that appeals to your personality and how you are motivated or you get somebody else to do the cooking.

I take turns with my wife, but she does the majority of the cooking in our house. She finds that when I do a couple of nights that her appetite returns and she resets to the point where she can cook and enjoy the food for several nights before I need to jump in again.

We found that planning what the main focus of the meal was (i.e. having a meat and method to cook it identified for each day of the week) helped. We don't repeat that meal plan week on week, but we do plan each week ahead on a Sunday. Works for us. Maybe something similar could work for you.
cdan

Postby Amirya » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Hmm, thank you. Maybe planning out something that requires little to no cooking will work for me (I actually do the least amount of cooking in the household, because I hate it so much).

Salads for everyone! :D

Seriously, though, thanks.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Zalaria wrote:Another big part of what it means is you can't go back to how you ate and lived before you changed. Lots of people will diet and exercise for a while, get to their goal weight, then go right back to eating shittily and doing nothing, inevitably followed by complaining when the weight comes back.

I want to make this a huge banner, blinking, flashing text, bells, whistles, Arrows, etc... This is what I am doing / did / have done / whatever.

This isn't a diet. I'm not dieting. I'm fundamentally changing my lifestyle, my eating habits, the food I eat, the amount I consume, how often I consume it, etc... permanently I don't think about "the end" of the diet.

I think about my next "change" in caloric intake. When I hit my goal, and I'm happy with myself, I will change my caloric intake, to something that will accommodate my lifestyle, while not gaining, or losing weight.

Things I changed, that are real, tangible, lasting changes.

1.) I don't eat out every day of the work week.
I never packed my lunch before. I ALWAYS went out to eat. I would consume a days worth of calories at lunch, because I would go to McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Subway (and get a footlong of death), a local chinese takeout (and get a HUGE portion and eat it all), or get pizza.

2.) I cut WAY down on the fast food I eat, and when I do eat it, I don't order the same things. I haven't been to McDonald's (outside of Breakfast Yogurt Parfait) since the end of february. The same goes for BK. I've been to wendy's twice. I go to Taco Bell once or twice a month with the fam (and I always look to eat "sensibly". I go to Subway every other week or so, and get a 6", normally chicken breast, or veggie, and i'll go to the Take Out place, and get a Steamed Dish, and control my portions.

3.) I cut out almost all regular soda. I drink 1 or 2 occasionally, but mainly I stick to diet. I know that's not great either, but I'm a caffiene kind of person, and I absolutely abhor coffee.

4.) I drink a metric ton of water. I mean... a gallon a day?

5.) I eat a small breakfast. Every day. I don't skip it. I don't eat a ton of stuff. I try and keep it around 2-300 calories, and then a light snack a couple hours later.

6.) I still snack. Yep. I still have snacks. Prety much every day in fact. I just snack on different things, and I ALWAYS measure my portions.

7.) I don't binge eat. The closest I came, was my birthday, when I indulged in a fantastic dinner created by my mother in law. But I ate light earlier in the day, I made sure to get plenty of exercise before, and after, and didn't let it lead to eating more later.

8.) I log my food. I know exactly what I ate, when I ate it, and how much I ate. It makes me accountable to myself.

9.) I eat a lot more, and a lot different vegetables than I used to.

10.) I cut out a ton of Red Meat.

These aren't things that I'm going to change when I get to my goal weight. Is my diet (speaking in a "what I eat" sense) perfect? FUCK NO I'm ok with that.

Also, my post is also;
All that was about a general "you" and not you specifically, Sabin. It sounds like you're pretty much doing it already, so I'd say just keep it up.
Shoju

Postby cdan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Leave poor old red meat alone. It gets a bum deal and is nowhere near as bad for you as we are led to believe by the tofu-terrorists. :)

Although if you eat red meat purchased from a supermarket in the US you may as well just mainline steroids, growth hormones and antibiotics and cut out all of the chewing.

Grass fed, organic beef only!
cdan

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
I'm not sure I like the whole "change your lifestyle" thing. I've heard it said so many times without any real substance that I'm not really sure what it's supposed to mean.

For me, it meant "have one burrito, not two (like I used to)". It meant making sure I was aware of how many "treats" I had in a day. It meant not having that afternoon cookie that originally started out as a once a week thing and instead turned into a once a day thing.

I don't know if this helps, it never really worked for me as I find it kind of degrading, but some people tell themselves: "Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog." I guess the easier pill to swallow is just because you had a long day, doesn't mean you get to binge eat whatever's in sight. (Not saying you do, just that it's easy for any of us to slip into that mentality.)

I like your changes though... cooking for yourself, etc. That's all positive stuff!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Amirya wrote:Does anyone have this thing about eating food you cooked for yourselves? And by "thing," I mean that I find food I cooked for myself to be disgusting and unappetizing, even though everyone else likes it or loves it. I'm fine with someone else cooking it, but if I'm doing the cooking, it gets to the point that I put it on the plate, look at it, then just walk away.

I think it's the effort. I don't think the food I make is disgusting BUT I do love it when someone else cook's for me, even if it tastes EXACTLY the same. Someone else's food always tastes better (like stealing fries off someone else's plate!).
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Sort of, but most other people agree with me when I say my cooking tastes terrible.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know of a decent chili recipe?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum