Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:40 am

Yeah, but at least I don't get the caffeine headaches when I go half a day without Coke any more. ;)
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:31 am

Fridmarr wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:I've been making tiny, tiny changes to try and get healthier myself. I used to drink nothing but coke, now I drink mostly fruit juice or water. I eat chocolate a lot less than I used to. I started eating breakfast regularly a few years back (I used to have nothing). I started making my own sandwiches for lunch at work, and using wholemeal bread for them, instead of getting a sandwich (and often a pasty) from Greggs. I'm trying to reduce the size of my meals at home a little right now. Since moving in January I walk 20 minutes to and from work every day. I've started doing some exercise at home.

I've not noticed any effect, other than the exercise getting a lot easier after the first few times.

That's frustrating and can be tough on morale. Try making a log for a week or two of absolutely everything you eat. For some people, seeing it written down can uncover some things that they didn't realize were hindering their ability to lose weight.

And for some people you stop putting things in your mouth without thinking about it. As I think I said earlier (or maybe Ididn't), I was eating healthy and not eating so much that I should be maintaining my weight according the my GFs dietician - but the second I started recording what I ate, I started dropping weight - apparently I was eating more than I was mentally registering, while actually trying to be conscious about it.

Registration of food intake will very easily let you see if you should be losing weight (and if you should, and you aren't you should see a doctor about it).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I've been making tiny, tiny changes to try and get healthier myself. I used to drink nothing but coke, now I drink mostly fruit juice or water. I eat chocolate a lot less than I used to. I started eating breakfast regularly a few years back (I used to have nothing). I started making my own sandwiches for lunch at work, and using wholemeal bread for them, instead of getting a sandwich (and often a pasty) from Greggs. I'm trying to reduce the size of my meals at home a little right now. Since moving in January I walk 20 minutes to and from work every day. I've started doing some exercise at home.

I've not noticed any effect, other than the exercise getting a lot easier after the first few times.

Are you weighing and/or measuring yourself? Not sure if you stated what your overall goal is. Is it weightloss or increased strength?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:00 am

Don't have scales and haven't been measuring. It's a really half-arsed effort, to be honest. I guess my goal is just being healthier, and getting rid of my belly fat, since I'm noticing it a lot more lately.

(Other thing I didn't mention: I'm also right now starting to cut down on buying processed meat and getting other stuff instead - chicken breasts, steaks, real burgers that aren't Birdseye.)
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:24 am

You're probably just adjusting your body composition then. Not like you were actually overweight I don't think, so at most you'll probably just shed some fat in favour of muscle with your changes. If anything, the most you'll likely notice is just overall feeling stronger on a day to day basis. I kind of doubt you'll see a massive increase in energy levels.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:01 am

Yeah, like I mentioned before I'm usually at "ideal" BMI, but with high fat, low muscle, so that sounds about right. Could be most of what I'm doing is just going to make sure I don't gain weight like I did last time I was living on my own and feeding myself.

On another topic... breakfast. I mentioned I started eating breakfast regularly; I have a bowl of cereal and milk. But, I tend to crash mid-morning at work, and wind up eating a chocolate bar to keep going. I've read that this is because I'm eating carbohydrate-based breakfast, and that a protein-based one will work better, but I'm not sure what to do about that. I've not been keen on the idea of actually having to cook something in the morning, and also I think of the kind of bacon-and-eggs breakfast as being pretty unhealthy?
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 am

Why don't you bring some fruit for your morning snack? I also eat only cereal with milk for breakfast (around 7 am) but I also eat lunch at 11 am because that's when I get hungry. But not everyone wants to have lunch at 11, so maybe having a banana will keep your hunger at bay till you have your next meal.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:18 am

Well eggs are fine as long as you're not cooking them with excessive amounts of other things. Cheese and ham omelette takes about 4 minutes to cook from scratch and is reasonably healthy, esp if using low fat cheese and not using tons of butter. Or you could just hard boil a bunch once a week and eat a couple for breakfast every other day.

Greek style yoghurt's a decent route for a high protein low carb breakfast too, though some people can't stand the taste of it by itself.

What type of cereal are you having? You might be able to stick to cereal and avoid the mid-morning crash if you switch to something with less sugar/less refined complex carbs (assuming you're not already eating all bran or something).

Or alternatively just take bananas in with you instead of chocolate bars!
Rhiannon

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:23 am

Rhiannon wrote:Greek style yoghurt's a decent route for a high protein low carb breakfast too, though some people can't stand the taste of it by itself.

That shit is vile.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:24 am

Eggs are definitely not "unhealthy".

Try finding a cereal that is high in fiber and low in sugar to see if that helps. You'll be getting fat and protein from the milk so combined with a whole gain cereal you should avoid the crash.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Greek style yoghurt's a decent route for a high protein low carb breakfast too, though some people can't stand the taste of it by itself.

That shit is vile.

I can down tubs of it, you're just a fussy eater weirdo.
Rhiannon

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 am

Nikachelle wrote:

That shit is vile.

Yeah plain geek yogurt is low carbs but almost no one can eat it. Flavored geek yogurt can have 15 plus grams of sugar, that's not good.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 am

Rhiannon wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

That shit is vile.

I can down tubs of it, you're just a fussy eater weirdo.

I am most definitely NOT fussy in terms of food! That stuff is just plain horrible.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 am

Nikachelle wrote:What, specifically, is your fear of gyms?

Man I don't fucking know...

I can't remember how far from work you are. I thought you lived in (and worked in) Manhattan. Is it really that much of a distance that you can't walk to work every day?

No I live in Queens, just one stop out from Manhattan. If I were better at getting up in the morning and getting out of the house I'd say I'd try to walk from Grand Central to 21st street but I am decidedly failing at that lately.
If you prefer the harassment technique, I can certainly text you every day to get you to do your exercise! (I say that lovingly, I want what's best for you!)

lols. Nah I don't think it would help... I do need to figure out how to self-motivate here.

Edit: She may want you to try group fitness, but if you don't like it, then you flat out don't like it. I sure don't. I even went to my co-worker's fitness class (she lead it) and I didn't like it. I prefer solitary exercises and group sports. This is why everyone tells you to find what makes YOU happy and enjoy the exercise that way.

Yeah, no, I understand that. She was recommending it because she knows I don't do anything and wanted me to try it to see if it worked.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:45 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I don't really have any mental association between eating correctly and losing weight...

Well honestly, you need to fix that. I mean exercise can certainly create some weight loss and it works really well with a good diet, but at the end of the day, body weight is much more a function of diet than anything else.

I don't mean to sound like a dick here (you know where this is going...) but, I keep seeing folks give you advice, and you have your reasons why you can't use that advice. Reasons why you can't go to the gym, cook healthier food, eat healthy snacks, or get up early etc...those are choices. Maybe those choices are all legitimate, but ultimately if you are overweight and want to change that, you are going to have to change something or because it won't happen on its own. At some point you'll have to make some sort of healthy choice a bigger priority than the alternative. That's not to say it's easy and there won't be failures, but when you have the mentality that living healthy is a priority, then you'll find the healthy habits that work for you.

Yes you are 100% right and you don't sound like a dick

I don't know how to do that. I feel like I've tried to do it several times but been unable to stick with it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:53 am

Then, at this moment in time, it doesn't matter *enough* to you to make those changes.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 am

Nika is right.

Just remember one thing you said yesterday. That your dad is diabetic, and you don't want to wind up the same.

If you want to ensure that, then at this time, the only person who can make that decision is you. Rest of us can provide recommendations, suggestions, or whatever, but you are the one ultimately has to motivate himself to do this.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Eggs are definitely not "unhealthy".

Try finding a cereal that is high in fiber and low in sugar to see if that helps. You'll be getting fat and protein from the milk so combined with a whole gain cereal you should avoid the crash.

Also, remember what fibres do, it slows down the passage of food through your system, by making the ... mulch... more thickly ...flowing, so you feel full longer - that also means it helps your digestive system in case there is anything there that needs 'adjusting'.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Nooska wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Eggs are definitely not "unhealthy".

Also, remember what fibres do, it slows down the passage of food through your system, by making the ... mulch... more thickly ...flowing, so you feel full longer - that also means it helps your digestive system in case there is anything there that needs 'adjusting'.

I'm a big fan of cheerios... regular kind, not honey nut or any of the other more sugary varieties.
Sabindeus

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 am

I got some vitamin E capsules because I read that's pretty good for the skin when losing weight and it's something my regular multi-vitamin doesn't cover.

They look like suppositories and smell awful. :?
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:42 am

I told my doctor that Lovaza looks like half solidified gelatin and smells like fish. She recommended throwing them in the freezer to at least cut down on the odor.

Would that work for you?

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 am

That's an interesting idea but I can put up with it if I leave one out for a few minutes. I am used to having needles go into me on a regular basis so smelly pills that look like they go in buttholes is small potatoes. Sounds like yours are even worse!
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:07 am

Bad part is, I can't put them in the freezer. I have to regularly rearrange it just to make room for the stuff my mother likes to buy in bulk, and I'm currently contemplating buying a new refrigerator/freezer I can't afford, because the shelves in this one are breaking.

Mostly, I just plug my nose and gulp. My own needles are worse, the idiot who says they don't hurt needs to be stabbed, as I regularly bruise myself now with those things.

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:57 am

Last Night, I made myself a "healthy" Bahama Mama. I like to drink on occasion, and figured others might want to try it out.... If you like such a drink.

8 OZ Minute Maid Simply 15 Mango Juice
1 Serving Diced Pineapple served in Juice - FROZEN
2 OZ Kraken Rum
Ice

Put Juice + Frozen Pineapple stuff into Blender - Blend until thick. Depends on the blender. I have a Ninja, and a couple of pulses later, I added a couple of Ice Cubes, and a pulse or two later, it was a decent consistency. Added 2 oz of rum, quick pulse to mix, and served.

The Pineapple I used was 80 Calories for the serving, so

80 + 15 + 150 (Rum) = 245 Calories for a Mixed Drink, and it was pretty frekking good. On a hot muggy night, I'm a sucker for a frozen drink. It hit the spot.
Shoju

Postby cdan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Oh dear. Alcohol is really, really bad. All of that fructose without fibre in the fruit juice is also really bad. The calories might be low, but the calorie to sugar ratio is awful and alcohol does awful things to your hormones and fat retention.
cdan

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum