Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 am

I seriously can't keep up with calorie counting. I also tried to use Myfitnesspal for a while and failed at ever entering dinner, and then eventually started failing at breakfast and lunch. Too many things that I need to pay attention to during the day so I end up dropping the one I am least interested in...

Re; wanting to lose weight leading to losing weight.. I don't really have any mental association between eating correctly and losing weight... the last time I actually dropped 20 pounds last year I don't even know what I did. My doctor praised me and I was like "really? huh." Haven't been able to duplicate the effort since. I have a general sense of what I should be eating, but then I just eat more of it, and snack on things that aren't good because they're THERE in the office, and then sometimes I just really want ice cream.

that almost turned into some sort of rant, better quit while I'm ahead...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby cdan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 am

If you want to get a better view on how your body is changing you should stop using a scale and start using a tape measure. Measure your chest, waist, hips, your upper thigh and your upper arm at least once a week. Track changes there. Weighing yourself just invites all sorts of frustrations especially as muscle is far denser and heavier than fat so if you are exercising and altering calorie intake you may find times when you put on a bit of weight. Only the tape measure will be able to tell you if that was a good thing or not though.

If you are trying to gain muscle and lose fat then your waist measurement should be the only thing shrinking. If you are just trying to lose weight then all of the measurements should be reducing.

Takes about a minute once a week and is a far better gauge than either BF% or normal scales.
cdan

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:08 am

On my own front -

Still tend to get nauseous in the evenings after work, which apparently makes me look like an extra (or the star!) of a zombie movie, so I'm still missing out on gym time. Which is a bit of a frustration, but not much I can do about that for now.

Weigh in for yesterday morning showed another pound lost. So six pounds lost since we started this experiment, can't complain about that.

Realised that while I miss Pepsi, quite a bit, I don't think I could tolerate a whole lot of it anymore - last time I had some was five or six weeks ago, and that was two sips from my mother's. Still miss bread and rice and pasta, but mostly because I feel if I included it in my normal meals, I'd actually eat even less than I do now since it tends to be filling. On the other hand, my roommate tends to watch me more than a hawk does a tasty mouse, and gets mad at me if I don't eat enough (apparently, a plum for lunch in the middle of a ten hour work day isn't enough).

At this point, just waiting for cooler weather to hit so I can at least go walking when I'm awake. I'm already surly and grumpy in the mornings, suggesting that I get up earlier than that just to go take a walk usually leads to the threat of violence.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am

Rhiannon: thats roughly what I meant by "consistent with itself".

In regards to measuring, I measure my waist once per month (or rather, every 4 weeks), because thats what the dietist the GF went to recommended, so you had a better chance of seeing progress. (Well that, and I suck at measuring)

Edit: Just ordered one of those weights you linked Rhiannon (and Alice in Wonderland now that we exceeded the 25£ mark for free delivery :))
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:29 am

Sabindeus wrote:I have a general sense of what I should be eating, but then I just eat more of it, and snack on things that aren't good because they're THERE in the office, and then sometimes I just really want ice cream.

So, some questions for you:

What do you mean by "what I should be eating"?
Why do you eat more?
Why are you snacking on things that are just there (ie: you're actually hungry, you feel like you should because everyone else is, you damn well earned it, etc)?
Why ice cream, and not something else, like an orange or an apple (ok, it's ice cream, but still)?

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I seriously can't keep up with calorie counting. I also tried to use Myfitnesspal for a while and failed at ever entering dinner, and then eventually started failing at breakfast and lunch. Too many things that I need to pay attention to during the day so I end up dropping the one I am least interested in...

Re; wanting to lose weight leading to losing weight.. I don't really have any mental association between eating correctly and losing weight... the last time I actually dropped 20 pounds last year I don't even know what I did. My doctor praised me and I was like "really? huh." Haven't been able to duplicate the effort since. I have a general sense of what I should be eating, but then I just eat more of it, and snack on things that aren't good because they're THERE in the office, and then sometimes I just really want ice cream.

that almost turned into some sort of rant, better quit while I'm ahead...

For me, I just made myself do it. I know that sounds silly, and probably overly simplified. But I just decided "This is what I want, this is how I'm going to do it." For a while, I wouldn't even touch my food until it was entered into the phone. I had to find a way to train myself to do it. I pavloved myself so to speak.

I snack. I eat junk food. I eat Ice Cream. I eat Dairy Queen once a week. (It's down the street 2 blocks).

When I snack, I try to snack on less crappy versions of the bad stuff.

I love Chips and Dip. I found Rice and Pita Chips that are less calories, and I found a salsa that I like. What was 300 calories at the minimum (because who knew how much I ate) is now as close to 150-160 calories as I can get it. I'll count or weigh the chips, and measure the salsa. I'm just as satisfied after a serving of each as I was when I didn't care

I love Ice Cream. I'll treat myself to something small from DQ, or from the convenience store when I have the extra calories. But I've found the things that are the "least" calories. I can get something for 250 calories in Ice Cream, and I don't feel like I'm cheating myself one way or the other.

I love Pizza. I make my own. or get thin crust, with light cheese, and more veggies if I'm going "out" with friends.

I love Burgers. I eat leaner meat, with healthier buns, and less junky condiments.

I love Chili. I can make you a Chili that will make you SWEAR there is meat in it, but there is none. I don't miss the meat in it, and adding some fat free cheese, and lite sour cream keeps it under 400 calories for a meal.

I had to decide that I wasn't going to snack with the rest of the office. Sure there are days when I want to, and that I'm dying to, and I wish like hell I was having a Bear Claw with them instead of a 90 calorie Fiber One Brownie.

It's hard at first to resist, to actually change. But it gets easier. I'm at a point where I own NOTHING that actually fits. I was pleased with my weight loss not too long ago, and blew 150 bucks on some better fitting clothes. Even they don't fit well.

When I see that I'm down 6" around my waist, and 2 shirt sizes, and 2 Underwear sizes, and that my Chuck Taylors that I bounce around the yard in don't fit anymore, It feels REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

I went to a friend's Birthday at a local bar this past Friday. I cheated. I drank.... more than I normally do. But I stayed close to my calorie count for the day with exercise, and knew that one day celebrating with friends wasn't going to ruin me. the compliments I got from some friends who were there made me feel awesome, and were plenty of motivation to keep going. I even had a lady hit on me while I was there. Something that I'm fairly confident would not have happened (beer goggles in effect or not) a year ago.

For me, weight loss didn't click until I sold my soul to the plan. And I wasn't sure even then that I would stick with it. But now that I'm preparing to give away 90% of my wardrobe because it's laughably too big, I don't know why I ever let myself get to that point. I never thought I would say it, but my weight was a state of mind. Changing my state of mind, allowed me to being to change my life.
Last edited by Shoju on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoju

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Amirya wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I have a general sense of what I should be eating, but then I just eat more of it, and snack on things that aren't good because they're THERE in the office, and then sometimes I just really want ice cream.

So, some questions for you:

What do you mean by "what I should be eating"?
Why do you eat more?
Why are you snacking on things that are just there (ie: you're actually hungry, you feel like you should because everyone else is, you damn well earned it, etc)?
Why ice cream, and not something else, like an orange or an apple (ok, it's ice cream, but still)?

good questions, thanks Amirya

"What I should be eating": foods that are low in fat and carbs, i.e. baked instead of fried, not drenched in sugary or high-fat sauces, etc.
"Why do I eat more": Because I'm hungry :(
"Why am I snacking on things": See above, because I'm hungry and it's there and I need to get back to my desk to keep thinking about a problem
"Why ice cream": Because it's delicious :|
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Shoju wrote:For me, weight loss didn't click until I sold my soul to the plan. And I wasn't sure even then that I would stick with it. But now that I'm preparing to give away 90% of my wardrobe because it's laughably too big, I don't know why I ever let myself get to that point. I never thought I would say it, but my weight was a state of mind. Changing my state of mind, allowed me to being to change my life.

This may be my problem... while I don't like being overweight, I don't feel like I have it in me to do a full life overhaul. I still spend a lot of time playing video games and staying up stupidly late, and I still eat dumb things when my friends decide to go to a ridiculous niche restaurant because I enjoy doing these things. I know they're bad for my health but I want to do them anyway. This is with full knowledge that doing what I'm doing at this point in my life will make me fairly miserable in 20-30 years. But I don't know how to make myself want to do different things.
Sabindeus

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Shoju wrote:For me, weight loss didn't click until I sold my soul to the plan. And I wasn't sure even then that I would stick with it. But now that I'm preparing to give away 90% of my wardrobe because it's laughably too big, I don't know why I ever let myself get to that point. I never thought I would say it, but my weight was a state of mind. Changing my state of mind, allowed me to being to change my life.

This may be my problem... while I don't like being overweight, I don't feel like I have it in me to do a full life overhaul. I still spend a lot of time playing video games and staying up stupidly late, and I still eat dumb things when my friends decide to go to a ridiculous niche restaurant because I enjoy doing these things. I know they're bad for my health but I want to do them anyway. This is with full knowledge that doing what I'm doing at this point in my life will make me fairly miserable in 20-30 years. But I don't know how to make myself want to do different things.

Don't get me wrong. I still game. I play PoE more than I should. I play games with my kids more than I should. I don't exercise as much as I should. I still stay up late, I still eat later than I should.

I'm far from perfect about things.

Hell, I'm still trying to quit smoking.

But change, is what you make of it. I still enjoy life, and I don't turn down going to restaurants when people want to go. I just make a conscious effort to do as much as I can to stick to my guns when I'm there. There are PLENTY of ways to eat out, and do it "healthier" than what you normally would.

You know what one thing I miss more than anything, 5 months in?
Chicken and Waffles.
2 big Fried Chicken Breasts, on a damn Belgian Waffle, with Maple Syrup. It's a bajillion calories or something. It's at least my daily intake, if not more. It's the one thing that I haven't had since. It's the one thing I haven't tried to rationalize to myself. It's the one thing that I completely divorced myself from.
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Sabindeus wrote:good questions, thanks Amirya

"What I should be eating": foods that are low in fat and carbs, i.e. baked instead of fried, not drenched in sugary or high-fat sauces, etc.
"Why do I eat more": Because I'm hungry :(
"Why am I snacking on things": See above, because I'm hungry and it's there and I need to get back to my desk to keep thinking about a problem
"Why ice cream": Because it's delicious :|

1) Can you be a bit more specific? For you, what would be a meal you should eat, if I came up and said, "Hey, Sab, I'm going to make you a meal right here, right now, whatever you should eat."

2) Why are you hungry? Is it long time periods between meals, or empty calorie meals, or skipping meals altogether and thus overcompensating later? Something else? (There is actually a logic behind this question, not just me being nosy)

3) The question wasn't more on why are you snacking, but why are you snacking on whatever is there at the office that is bad for you. Not knowing your work environment, but could you take in a container of something healty and eat that instead? (ie: raw unsalted almonds instead of those baked lay's chips)

4) See above. Instead of ice cream, what about a peach or watermelon or canteloupe?

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:23 pm

While people always say you can't out-exercise a bad diet, I'd believe that's more true when you're closer to goal weight. Instead of changing what you eat right now (@ Sab) why don't you just try walking more? Or picking up a pair of weights and doing some training at home. If you see progress in that area, perhaps it'll encourage you to change your diet a bit more. Even if you don't change your diet at all, but increase your daily caloric expenditures, you'll see weight loss start to happen. Just a thought.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Shoju wrote:Chicken and Waffles.
2 big Fried Chicken Breasts, on a damn Belgian Waffle, with Maple Syrup. It's a bajillion calories or something. It's at least my daily intake, if not more. It's the one thing that I haven't had since. It's the one thing I haven't tried to rationalize to myself. It's the one thing that I completely divorced myself from.

I had this for the first time about two weeks ago. Although I think it was smothered in honey and not maple syrup. Could not believe how frigging delicious it was.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Amirya wrote:1) Can you be a bit more specific? For you, what would be a meal you should eat, if I came up and said, "Hey, Sab, I'm going to make you a meal right here, right now, whatever you should eat."

Wow I wouldn't know how to answer that question. Too open ended.
2) Why are you hungry? Is it long time periods between meals, or empty calorie meals, or skipping meals altogether and thus overcompensating later? Something else? (There is actually a logic behind this question, not just me being nosy)

I'm trying to eat more often, like, divide my meals in half, so I have like half of lunch at 1, and then the other half at 3ish... But then I get hungry an hour later. Like today I had a big salad (this place has a cute calorie calculator so according to them it was 560 calories total: http://www.nutritionix.com/m/TSir14), ate half of it at about 1pm-ish. We had an all-hands meeting at 2:30. Got out of that at about 2:55 or so... and I ate the rest of my salad then because I was starving. Now it's like 4:42pm and I'm starving again. Just had a handful of cashews... didn't really help, trying to focus on other things and drinking water. Maybe I should go outside and buy something not terrible.

3) The question wasn't more on why are you snacking, but why are you snacking on whatever is there at the office that is bad for you. Not knowing your work environment, but could you take in a container of something healty and eat that instead? (ie: raw unsalted almonds instead of those baked lay's chips)

I could but then I'd have to go obtain that...

4) See above. Instead of ice cream, what about a peach or watermelon or canteloupe?

Probably because it's not readily available. We do get fruit in the office but it's usually gone within a day or two and then we don't get more for a couple of weeks.

I just realized I'm hesitant to leave my desk for too long because most of the people I work with are mostly across the country and contact me via IM... creates this sort of expectation that I'll answer whenever they Skype me... Or maybe it's all in my head, I can't tell.
Sabindeus

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Wow I wouldn't know how to answer that question. Too open ended.

No, not really. I'm going to make you a meal of whatever you should. A full meal, you can divide it in half later, if you want. So, what am I getting you to drink (and how much)? Do you want an appetizer, and if so, what do you want? What about the main entree? Any dessert?

It can be breakfast or lunch or dinner. Just place your order.

I'm trying to eat more often, like, divide my meals in half, so I have like half of lunch at 1, and then the other half at 3ish... But then I get hungry an hour later. Like today I had a big salad (this place has a cute calorie calculator so according to them it was 560 calories total: http://www.nutritionix.com/m/TSir14), ate half of it at about 1pm-ish. We had an all-hands meeting at 2:30. Got out of that at about 2:55 or so... and I ate the rest of my salad then because I was starving. Now it's like 4:42pm and I'm starving again. Just had a handful of cashews... didn't really help, trying to focus on other things and drinking water. Maybe I should go outside and buy something not terrible.

Have you talked to your doctor about being tested for diabetes? That, right there, was precisely my problem for I don't know how many years. I'd eat a meal, and then an hour or so later, be hungry enough to eat another meal. Nothing was ever filling for a long time, didn't matter if it was fast food or fresh fruit.

Once Mayo Clinic got me started on insulin, it improved drastically. Now I usually am reluctant to eat lunch or dinner because I'm not hungry, but I have to because of medication.

I could but then I'd have to go obtain that...Probably because it's not readily available. We do get fruit in the office but it's usually gone within a day or two and then we don't get more for a couple of weeks.

I just realized I'm hesitant to leave my desk for too long because most of the people I work with are mostly across the country and contact me via IM... creates this sort of expectation that I'll answer whenever they Skype me... Or maybe it's all in my head, I can't tell.

Is it not possible/feasible for you to go to the store on a day off, and do some shopping? Buy a few containers of nuts, whatever you like to snack on, and just store them at your desk. Go and buy some fruit, and take them with you that morning.

Also, just because you work virtually doesn't mean you're on call 24/7. Do these same people expect you to be at your desk after your shift is over, just because theirs isn't? Are they at their desk when your shift starts, even if it's 7am for you and 4am for the West Coast? Set your IM status to, "Away for lunch, back at <time>." Then stick to it.

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:30 pm

I've been making tiny, tiny changes to try and get healthier myself. I used to drink nothing but coke, now I drink mostly fruit juice or water. I eat chocolate a lot less than I used to. I started eating breakfast regularly a few years back (I used to have nothing). I started making my own sandwiches for lunch at work, and using wholemeal bread for them, instead of getting a sandwich (and often a pasty) from Greggs. I'm trying to reduce the size of my meals at home a little right now. Since moving in January I walk 20 minutes to and from work every day. I've started doing some exercise at home.

I've not noticed any effect, other than the exercise getting a lot easier after the first few times.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Amirya wrote:Have you talked to your doctor about being tested for diabetes? That, right there, was precisely my problem for I don't know how many years. I'd eat a meal, and then an hour or so later, be hungry enough to eat another meal. Nothing was ever filling for a long time, didn't matter if it was fast food or fresh fruit.

Once Mayo Clinic got me started on insulin, it improved drastically. Now I usually am reluctant to eat lunch or dinner because I'm not hungry, but I have to because of medication.

Yes, I am not diabetic... yet. My A1C is 5.7 and has been for 2 years now... so if I did significantly worse for some time I'd probably head in the diabetic direction. That is not a thing I want. My dad has diabetes and I've seen what that's like.

Is it not possible/feasible for you to go to the store on a day off, and do some shopping? Buy a few containers of nuts, whatever you like to snack on, and just store them at your desk. Go and buy some fruit, and take them with you that morning.

I should do that... I think this is just about breaking bad habits/forming new good habits. I just don't think to do these things even when people suggest them. It's one thing to come up with ideas but it's another thing entirely to actually implement them.

Also, just because you work virtually doesn't mean you're on call 24/7. Do these same people expect you to be at your desk after your shift is over, just because theirs isn't? Are they at their desk when your shift starts, even if it's 7am for you and 4am for the West Coast? Set your IM status to, "Away for lunch, back at <time>." Then stick to it.

I think it's mostly in my head... I just went out to the deli to buy a snack and the world didn't end while I did so. :| it's a hard mindset to break though
Sabindeus

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Well it's an easy start. Next time you need to go to the store to buy some stuff, add groceries to that list. Then get them. It's easy enough to start with - "dish soap, paper towels, box of cereal, and a pound of grapes." Next time, add the two pounds of oranges. So and so forth.

My boss is aware of what I've been eating, he's always heard it takes 21 days to form a habit. I can believe that, as I'm currently in the last week of this meal plan change, and while I would like to drink some Pepsi, it's more just for the nostalgia - not to mention I don't think I could tolerate a whole can of it.

Same with your lunch break - every day, "Away: On lunch, back at 1pm." Then eat your lunch. Surf online. Read a book or practice the harmonica - whatever it is. It's also a mental reset.

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Amirya wrote:Well it's an easy start. Next time you need to go to the store to buy some stuff, add groceries to that list. Then get them. It's easy enough to start with - "dish soap, paper towels, box of cereal, and a pound of grapes." Next time, add the two pounds of oranges. So and so forth.

Every time I buy fruit it goes bad before I eat it :|

I'm trying to do fruit + cereal for breakfast consistently but I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning and usually am rushing out the door... that's the hardest habit to break
Sabindeus

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Ah yes. I hate mornings too. To combat it, I set two alarms, and park the alarm somewhere out of reach, so it either goes off incessantly for 10 minutes, or I have to get up and turn it off. I've set the two alarms at 15 minutes apart.

Would something like that work for you?

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Amirya wrote:Ah yes. I hate mornings too. To combat it, I set two alarms, and park the alarm somewhere out of reach, so it either goes off incessantly for 10 minutes, or I have to get up and turn it off. I've set the two alarms at 15 minutes apart.

Would something like that work for you?

I've never tried the "out of reach alarm" method, because I am completely capable of getting up, doing a thing, then going back to bed and falling back asleep. I'd have to work at it I think.
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Instead of changing what you eat right now (@ Sab) why don't you just try walking more? Or picking up a pair of weights and doing some training at home. If you see progress in that area, perhaps it'll encourage you to change your diet a bit more. Even if you don't change your diet at all, but increase your daily caloric expenditures, you'll see weight loss start to happen. Just a thought.

I've been trying to do some exercise at home but I haven't been able to get into the habit of it.

Walking is hard to add because all of my distances to and from work are fixed. One of my friends tells me I should make it a regular thing to go to a group fitness thing of some sort (she does Crossfit), and that it's easier when you have a commitment... but I am honestly terrified of gyms. Irrationally so, obviously, but I can't seem to get over it.
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:00 pm

What, specifically, is your fear of gyms?

I can't remember how far from work you are. I thought you lived in (and worked in) Manhattan. Is it really that much of a distance that you can't walk to work every day?

If you prefer the harassment technique, I can certainly text you every day to get you to do your exercise! (I say that lovingly, I want what's best for you!)

Edit: She may want you to try group fitness, but if you don't like it, then you flat out don't like it. I sure don't. I even went to my co-worker's fitness class (she lead it) and I didn't like it. I prefer solitary exercises and group sports. This is why everyone tells you to find what makes YOU happy and enjoy the exercise that way.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Lol Nika, maybe you should text him every day just to get him out of bed. :)

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I don't really have any mental association between eating correctly and losing weight...

Well honestly, you need to fix that. I mean exercise can certainly create some weight loss and it works really well with a good diet, but at the end of the day, body weight is much more a function of diet than anything else.

I don't mean to sound like a dick here (you know where this is going...) but, I keep seeing folks give you advice, and you have your reasons why you can't use that advice. Reasons why you can't go to the gym, cook healthier food, eat healthy snacks, or get up early etc...those are choices. Maybe those choices are all legitimate, but ultimately if you are overweight and want to change that, you are going to have to change something or because it won't happen on its own. At some point you'll have to make some sort of healthy choice a bigger priority than the alternative. That's not to say it's easy and there won't be failures, but when you have the mentality that living healthy is a priority, then you'll find the healthy habits that work for you.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I've been making tiny, tiny changes to try and get healthier myself. I used to drink nothing but coke, now I drink mostly fruit juice or water. I eat chocolate a lot less than I used to. I started eating breakfast regularly a few years back (I used to have nothing). I started making my own sandwiches for lunch at work, and using wholemeal bread for them, instead of getting a sandwich (and often a pasty) from Greggs. I'm trying to reduce the size of my meals at home a little right now. Since moving in January I walk 20 minutes to and from work every day. I've started doing some exercise at home.

I've not noticed any effect, other than the exercise getting a lot easier after the first few times.

That's frustrating and can be tough on morale. Try making a log for a week or two of absolutely everything you eat. For some people, seeing it written down can uncover some things that they didn't realize were hindering their ability to lose weight.

Also, fruit juice is no better than soda as far as weight goes, it's basically soda + vitamins. For reference, a cup of OJ is roughly about 4 oranges. It's unlikely you'd actually eat 4 oranges in a sitting, because the fiber and flesh content kind of satiates(?) you, and also helps stem the insulin rush from the sugar. But drinking a cup of OJ is easy peasy, and you get all the sugar with none of the fiber to make you feel full and aid with insulin regulation.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum