Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby cdan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:55 am

Nikachelle wrote:I see this posted often on Tumblr and it makes me laugh every time.

Men's magazine on eating right: STEAK PROTEIN EAT A WHOLE DANG COW EAT YOUR LOCAL BOOK CLUB FOR AN EXTRA ENERGY BOOST PROTEIN HOO HAH

Women's magazine on eating right: One piece of lettuce a day with a side of two slices of skinless apple (the skin has extra calories! YUCK!) Want to treat yourself? Indulge in a plate of rabbit food with yummy diet water sauce for an extra kick!

That is because women's magazines are in the business of keeping women in a state of distress which keeps them coming back to women's magazines for more advice.

Men's magazines have the same stuff everyday because men don't listen and keep coming back looking for answers. Only when an opinion matches the one they have had all along do they agree and move on.
cdan

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Sabindeus wrote:How many hours a week is that? Are you ever on-call during off hours?

I get paid for 36.5 hours a week. I'm currently negotiating to get to a full 40. I'm on call 24/7 for the server, even though I'm not sure if something bad happened I would know what to do. I get paid if I have to come in, or if I have to use the VPN to handle something. when I'm not at work. But it's not hourly. It's just a "Hey I had to do X, and did it for X long", and they hand me money.

It's a "small" company.
We have <30 employees.
100,000+ SQ FT of Retail Space.
250,000+ SQ FT of Warehouse Space in this building
100,000+ SQ FT of Warehouse Space in a former Bowling Alley that borders this property.
150,000+ SQ FT of Retail Space in an even smaller town 20 min away where the original store was.
3.5 Acres of Military Trucks for sale.
and we are negotiating to buy the building across the street for ~200,00+ MORE SQ FT.

It's very old school here. My sales aren't as high as I would like them to be, but it's growing. When I started here ~5 years ago (just over I guess), There was a website that they couldn't update, 2 computers, dial up internet, no online sales, no ebay, phone orders were a catastrophe most of the time, no social media at all, and I was hired on a 1 yr contract just to build a presence online.

Now, we have ~14 comps, a server, a network, we're getting ready to take the whole building wireless (that's a MONUMENTAL UNDERTAKING), We're talking about a POS System (I lol at that. You would have to see the place to understand how futile a POS system would be until it was up and running, and it would take YEARS to get everything in it)

Part of it is frustrating, because the owner judges my worth based solely on the sales, when that is roughly 1/2 of what I do on a daily basis. The VP's (there are 2, brother & Sister, children of the owner) understand my importance, as does the Office Manager. But when I've doubled the sales (at least) EVERY FREAKING YEAR and I pulled teeth to let me sell on ebay, and to offer more on the website, and to get things going, it's a little frustrating to hear that I'm being judged only on half of what I do.

Such is the life, and it's a big reason I'm going back to college. I'm woefully underpaid (by about 40% based on my best guess based on what I "Do" compared to jobs that I would do in a comparable setting other places), but they are pretty flexible with my time, and my wife's schedule, and they understand that my on call stuff is predecated by my wife's ability to keep the kids. If she is on call, and they need me, it's VPN or nothing, because her on call > the $$$$$ of my on call.

Honestly, I would eventually like to go into business for myself. I love online sales. I love eBay. I hate Craigslist, but see it's purpose. I love Social Media. I would love to have a business that I run, where I buy and sell. I'd probably start with buying yard sales. Come in on the last day, and just make an offer on whatever they have left. Sort it, photo it, and sell it. Over, and Over, and Over. I don't even know if I would bother with a Store where people cuold walk in and buy. Maybe I would have a counter where they could sell (but that's a headache).

For now, I'm just focused on getting hooked up with a reputable school that offers a digital marketing degree online. I've found 1 school that offers one, but I've never heard of them, so I'm not sure how reputable they are, and the Art Institute has one, but unlike other places that offer online degrees, they aren't tripping over themselves to get in touch with me.
Shoju

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm pretty impressed you manage to juggle all those responsibilities with the weight loss! what's your secret?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I'm pretty impressed you manage to juggle all those responsibilities with the weight loss! what's your secret?

There isn't one! Eat less and workout more.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Well said Nikachelle.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:38 pm

There's all kinds of "sayings" out there to drive you. The one I see most often is "If it's important enough to you, you'll do it. If it's not, you'll find an excuse."

And it's true. If you don't want something enough, you'll find an excuse not to do it.

In terms of "tricks" though... it all comes down to self control/time. If you work stupid hours and find yourself eating fast food because you don't have time to make regular food... then there's your problem. Make lunches at home and bring appropriate snacks. And by appropriate, I mean something that nature made, not something that humans processed. If you're one of those people that enjoys spending money on food (hell, I'm one of them, no shame!) then find something healthy that makes you happy and isn't overly expensive.) For me, that's USUALLY the food my cafeteria at work serves. (Don't even start on me on cafeteria food, my caf is goddamn fucking amazing.)

I say all this tongue in cheek however. I exercise "enough" at the moment, but I eat french fries every day and yet still lose weight (and/or stay stagnant). I'm not flat stomached and I'm not lean, but I'm happy where I am. I have lost a decent amount of weight and still eat what makes me happy. Anything can be done, but you have to find what makes you happy (in terms of nutrition requirements/exercise). At this stage, I need to exercise a lot more because I'm not willing to make dietary sacrifices. In a month or two, that will change and I'll be able to exercise less because I'll be eating a bit less.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Nikachelle wrote:There's all kinds of "sayings" out there to drive you. The one I see most often is "If it's important enough to you, you'll do it. If it's not, you'll find an excuse."

That echoes quite perfectly what I also said tonight at dinner, where we were talking a bit about weightloss (GF and me, my mother and my great aunt on my mothers side).
If you want to lose weight because you fell like you should, you will fail. If you want to lose weight because you want to lose weight, you will succeed.

(With the proper annotations about being able to* and knowing how)

*Depending on where you live, a healthy diet that will let you lose weight, will cost more than the unhealthy weight gaining diet - around here vegetables are around 3 times as pricey as potato chips, if not more.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Lieris » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Nooska wrote:*Depending on where you live, a healthy diet that will let you lose weight, will cost more than the unhealthy weight gaining diet - around here vegetables are around 3 times as pricey as potato chips, if not more.

That sucks. Over here I can go into town on market days and make a £10 note stretch really far when buying fruit and veg especially on stuff that is in season. Right now you can get really good prices on strawberries.

In Britain I think our schooling system is rubbish at preparing people for adult life and that among other things, cooking lessons, nutrition and budgeting a weekly food shop really should be mandatory as part of the curriculum, but at least in terms of cost and availability, nobody has any excuse for buying rubbish food. Sadly crap food is even more convenient than good food and the influence of the big multi-nationals that make this crap processed food extends all the way to the top but that's another topic.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:10 am

I think most western countries ae generally bad at teaching home economics (even when they hav classes that are called that) including food and healthy eating - leaving it to the parents (who in a large majority also suck at it, when looking at statistics of debt tracking bureaus etc, and the obesity statistics as well).

Basically, I am of the opinion that society (in this case schools) need to step up when it is clear that a great deal of society is failing at stuff themselve s(trying not to get political) ; economics (basic household) and healthy eating should be taught in schools (in an interesting way, so it sticks)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby katraya » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I'm pretty impressed you manage to juggle all those responsibilities with the weight loss! what's your secret?

There isn't one! Eat less and workout more.

Yes, because it's always that easy. Seriously? :roll:
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:49 am

I was being flippant, but the essence behind it is true. I didn't say it was easy though.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:12 am

Nikachelle wrote:I was being flippant, but the essence behind it is true. I didn't say it was easy though.
Indeed. I think portion control and eating more nutrient dense food as opposed to calorie dense food (aka "eating healthy") is fairly common knowledge, as is the weight loss benefits of more exercise. At that high of a level it is simplistic, and there really aren't any "tricks".

Now, figuring out how a person can achieve a healthier diet(lifestyle), add more exercise to their daily life, and maintain the motivation to see it through, is obviously not easy or everybody would do it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lieris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 am

I think a lot of it is contingent on good mental health. If you're suffering from crippling depression you're not going to look after yourself as well as you could and no amount of misguided encouragement to exercise is going to get someone who feels hopeless to lose weight. I think you need that glimmer of hope first to get the ball rolling.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Nika really hit it on the head. There isn't a secret. It's not something extraordinary that I'm doing. I downloaded myfitnesspal to my phone, I cut out McDonald's Burger King Wendy's and what not from my diet, I snack on healthy stuff or less bad stuff, I get off my ass and get some exercise, and I just eat better.

For me, the app has been a god send. I can count my calories, and I can check what something is calorie wise before I eat it. I used to eat out for lunch every work day. Bringing food was a pain in the ass because I work with a few dipshits who will eat anything in the fridge.

To combat that, I got a nice insulated bag, and I carry my lunch in that. If I do eat out for lunch, it's a 6" from subway, and I try to stick to the "healthier" choices. Ham, chicken, veggie is it really.

I traded out fatty stuff got not as fatty versions. I use fat free or the 95% fat free cheeses, and I don't eat 2 pieces on stuff, or I use the serving size (1/4 cup) if its shredded. I changed the breads that I eat to whole grain types. I don't use terrible condiments like mayo or BBQ sauce. I stick to mustard, Italian dressing, and fresh ground pepper.

An the biggest thing: THIS IS NOT A DIET. I'm not going to quit when I hit some magic number. This is how I eat now. When I lose the weight, I'll adjust the app, and my calories to a "maintain" plan, instead of a weight loss plan.

Silly, that the biggest thing is really just a brain "trick". But that's what it is. Keep moving forward, keep going. I don't want my kids to only remember me as that fat guy. I want them to learn the things I didn't about how to eat properly. Find what your motivation is, and really, the rest is a breeze
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Lieris wrote:I think a lot of it is contingent on good mental health. If you're suffering from crippling depression you're not going to look after yourself as well as you could and no amount of misguided encouragement to exercise is going to get someone who feels hopeless to lose weight. I think you need that glimmer of hope first to get the ball rolling.

Yeah that's double trouble because the depression can lead to overeating, which leads to weight gain, which leads to more depression and it can spiral out of control. That pattern will have to be broken somehow, and folks finding themselves in that situation should seek the help of a mental health professional.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum