Remove Advertisements

Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:17 am

mew wrote:
Arnock wrote:Stopped at a random corner store and realized that they had coke that was bottled in mexico. Haven't had any in awhile, and it was delicious

Also, comparing city water to well water, I generally am not a fan of the sulfur taste in most well water I drink.

Are you even supposed to drink unfiltered well water?
We used to have a well when I was little :( I used to ask my relatives to bring me filtered-suburb water when they came to visit. That well water was even horrible to shower in.

There is nothing wrong with well water assuming the water isn't contaminated with anything... AKA a gas company that will go unnamed had a gas tank from a gas station nearby crack and gas leaked into the ground so some houses on the opposite side of the gas station can no longer drink their well water and said gas company has to send all those houses bottled water now till the end of time. Luckily the water flows toward the gas station so our house wasn't effected.
Dapaladin

Postby Thalia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:20 am

I do believe when you are young and single or just young and having fun it is more of a challenge to cut down on the drinking.

For me, I used to have a beer about 3 times a week, or a glass of wine 3-4 times a week. I don't have beer anymore, and when I do it's only on my cheat day and it's light beer. I occasionally have my glass of wine during the week but put it into my points system. Plus, if you are going for empty alcoholic calories, wine has better properties for you. There is sweet wine if you don't like the very tart ones. And if you want to be a starter, white zinfandel is very mild.
Thalia

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 am

Thalia wrote:I am asking for your advice and life tips on how to sustain feeling fit and looking healthy as part of your everyday life.

I have friends that do Crossfit, for exactly those reasons. The workouts are varied every day, but promote whole-body movement and intense effort. The idea is, you're a well-rounded athlete. See if there's a Crossfit gym near you that you can visit and talk to people there.
Kelaan

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:06 am

this thread is pretty inspirational
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby firstamendme » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 am

Inspirational definetely. Weight sucks. I gotta see if I still have pictures of the way I looked before. I went from 300-310lbs in 11th grade (heavy overweight my whole life) to 160 by freshman year of college (waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too skinny) to maintaining a swing of 210-225 the past 5 years or so (relatively low body fat%).

I actually have some visible stretch marks on my inner arm and underarm/side, though thankfully they are minor as I still lost the weight when I was young enough to have good skin elasticity. I have family members who have done the same later in life and had to actually get the extra stomach skin (apron as they call it) surgically removed afterward as the skin itself was 20 lbs.

Edit: I am in no way advocating losing 140-150 lbs in 14 months. I did it with just diet and exercise, but to an overkill and unhealthy level. 160lbs on my frame is essentially count-the-bone structure thin.
firstamendme

Postby Thalia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 am

firstamendme wrote:Inspirational definetely. Weight sucks. I gotta see if I still have pictures of the way I looked before. I went from 300-310lbs in 11th grade (heavy overweight my whole life) to 160 by freshman year of college (waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too skinny) to maintaining a swing of 210-225 the past 5 years or so (relatively low body fat%).

I actually have some visible stretch marks on my inner arm and underarm/side, though thankfully they are minor as I still lost the weight when I was young enough to have good skin elasticity. I have family members who have done the same later in life and had to actually get the extra stomach skin (apron as they call it) surgically removed afterward as the skin itself was 20 lbs.

Edit: I am in no way advocating losing 140-150 lbs in 14 months. I did it with just diet and exercise, but to an overkill and unhealthy level. 160lbs on my frame is essentially count-the-bone structure thin.

I remember I saw an episode of Grey's Anatomy once where this lady had lost 100 lbs in one year. She had heart surgery and apparently she was fine through it but after relapsed. They eventually found out that her losing 100lbs in one year was like her being anorexic to her body. As other people have stated, yes we are eager to lose as much weight as we can as soon as possible, but if it's A LOT of weight, it's best to go to a dietitian and your doctor to monitor your progress and to make sure you are not endangering yourself.

Another fact I learned a few weeks ago. Human Growth Hormone apparently works wonders in the recovery process for any surgeries, plus it actually helps you stay feeling and looking younger. It is pretty red tapped though to get it, and a lot of doctors protest the rule because they can give it to cancer patients etc, blah blah blah to help hem recover better from surgeries. Anyway, of course you can build your own, because we do have it, but the best way I heard Dr. Nixon say to build it up is by exercising regularly, being at a normal weight, not eating much red meat, etc.
Thalia

Postby Arnock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:03 pm

katraya wrote:
Arnock wrote:Stopped at a random corner store and realized that they had coke that was bottled in mexico. Haven't had any in awhile, and it was delicious

They use actual sugar, rather than high fructose corn syrup. It tastes much better. (Edit: Oh hi, everyone else already said that :( ) You can also get 2L of Coke with real sugar around Passover in certain stores too.

I live in a heavily jewish area, so I might have to look around more next time passover rolls around
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:21 pm

firstamendme wrote:Inspirational definetely. Weight sucks. I gotta see if I still have pictures of the way I looked before. I went from 300-310lbs in 11th grade (heavy overweight my whole life) to 160 by freshman year of college (waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too skinny) to maintaining a swing of 210-225 the past 5 years or so (relatively low body fat%).

wow dude that is pretty incredible. I wish I could do that. (yes I know you say you're not advocating it but I wish I could do it anyway)
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby mew » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:54 pm

I actually have some visible stretch marks on my inner arm and underarm/side, though thankfully they are minor as I still lost the weight when I was young enough to have good skin elasticity.

That's kind of what happened to me. I complain about my dad a lot, and this is kind of one of the examples of things he used to do.
I lived away from home, at a residential high school. I wouldn't exercise at all and eat really poorly and I gained over 20 lbs in one year. So I was home for the summer and my dad, being the awesome guy that he is, is all "You are going to lose all that weight". He gave me obesity meds (I was 5'2" 153lbs, no where near "obese") and would make me do cardio for 3 hours a day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one at night) and he would yell at me if he saw me eating. So that combined with my boyfriend at the time breaking up with me (but that is another story), I lost 20 lbs in 20 days.
Now my thighs are completely stretch marked all the way around (it's a bunch of small marks, no solid colored patches skin really) and I pretty much can't show my legs (I didn't before anyways). They look like they aren't shaved or something from a slight distance because of the odd coloration. I would offer to take a picture and post it, but no one wants to see that (not even me).
ImageImage
mew

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:04 pm

katraya wrote:

They use actual sugar, rather than high fructose corn syrup. It tastes much better. (Edit: Oh hi, everyone else already said that :( ) You can also get 2L of Coke with real sugar around Passover in certain stores too.

We sell these bottles at the store I work so I bought one just now. Needed to get my mother a lottery ticket and next week's schedule anyway. I don't think it tastes that much different, but I'm the guy who thinks generic cola, Coke, and Pepsi all tastes the same.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:I'm the guy who thinks generic cola, Coke, and Pepsi all tastes the same.

My wife would glare at you and call you a heathen. heh. It's all pretty close, though I tend to find Pepsi a little sweeter than Coke as well
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Drink lots of water, but don't drink while you eat if you can help it! When you drink as you're eating, you wash the food down and sort of trick your stomach into thinking it has less in there than it does. It's one of the reasons why restaurants offer you as much to drink as they can, making it far more likely for you to want more food or get a dessert in addition to what you're eating.

Just wanted to re-emphasize this point.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:13 pm

Joanadark wrote:
Drink lots of water, but don't drink while you eat if you can help it! When you drink as you're eating, you wash the food down and sort of trick your stomach into thinking it has less in there than it does. It's one of the reasons why restaurants offer you as much to drink as they can, making it far more likely for you to want more food or get a dessert in addition to what you're eating.

Just wanted to re-emphasize this point.

I've never heard that before, but I know for certain it's not universally true. I used to be a bit of a gym rat and did heavy weight training, when I was trying to load calories drinking even a little while eating made me fill up way too fast.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dapaladin » Sat May 01, 2010 7:27 am

IT depends on what you're eating. Anything like rice or bread hat expands when water is added will make you feel more full. Or that would be me theory.
Dapaladin

Postby mew » Sat May 01, 2010 7:32 am

I need some help with this picking exercise ball thing.
I got the 5'3" and under exercise ball, and it seems way too small (I'm 5'2"), only about 2 feet high. Vanifae got the largest one from Walmart and that is about 3 feet high (the silver colored ones with sand in them). Based on the ones I have used at the gym that seems like much more appropriate of a size? (My feet touch the ground on that one just fine too)
Is my idea of the proper size of a ball distorted or can I move up a size or two? Is there any advantage to using a larger ball (getting a wider range of motion or something) as long as your feet can still touch the ground? Is there an advantage to using a smaller ball?
ImageImage
mew

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum