Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Aubade » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:27 am

Lightbeard wrote:
Fivelives wrote:If you don't have a blender, you could try using a (small) whisk or a fork. I've never mixed mine without a blender, personally, so I wouldn't know - but it stands to reason that you'd get some clumps that would be hard to break up by shaking.


Ah! A whisk, always forgetting about the whisk. Thank Fivelives.


Never forget the whisk young one, it changes lives.
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am

I use a shaker bottle. They are really cheap and really effective. Not sure if thats what you meant by blender or you actually meant a motorized blender. I'd recommend just getting a like $5 shaker bottle.

I use this http://www.blenderbottle.com/classic
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Dapaladin wrote:I use a shaker bottle. They are really cheap and really effective. Not sure if thats what you meant by blender or you actually meant a motorized blender. I'd recommend just getting a like $5 shaker bottle.

I use this http://www.blenderbottle.com/classic


I'm using a Blender Bottle already
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 4602
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Going running for the first time today after work since the back problems cropped up. Fingers crossed I'm not a cripple tomorrow morning.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm

On a different note. Has anyone ever read or heard of the book "4-hour body" by Timothy Ferris? My Weight lifting professor has done the "Slow Carb Diet" in the book and it's supposedly really effective. Essentially it's you eat whatever as long as it's glycemic index is low. This prevents spikes in blood sugar which would normally cause the release on insulin which trigger fat production. In essence you eat anything that doesn't contain a lot of sugar or something that digests quickly into glucose. You eat a lot of legumes lean protein and vegtables. No bread, pasta,or potatoes. Anything that CAN be white is off-limits. So no whole wheat pasta or bread. Also no fruit or milk. While milks glycemix index is low it has a high insulin index which means it has the same response as if your blood sugar where to spike.

One day a week you get to have a day where you can eat whatever you want in whatever quantities. In fact you pretty much need to eat stuff you aren't allowed to eat the other 6 days or your body starts to do stuff(i know very specific and scientific) it shouldn't. Eat fruit and simple carbs till your hearts content.

I don't endorse this or anything but it makes a lot of sense as to why it would work. I started this diet today we will see how it goes!
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Lightbeard wrote:
Dapaladin wrote:I use a shaker bottle. They are really cheap and really effective. Not sure if thats what you meant by blender or you actually meant a motorized blender. I'd recommend just getting a like $5 shaker bottle.

I use this http://www.blenderbottle.com/classic


I'm using a Blender Bottle already


Oh hmm strange... I normally mix mine in water though.

I use Optimum Nutrition powder and don't have issues
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:54 am

I'm actually about to try switching to water.

I'm not lactose intolerant but I think mixing them with milk is tearing up my stomach.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 4602
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:57 am

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "glycemic index" thing. People have been rating different foods on how healthy they are for you for a long, long time now - this just seems unnecessary and an attempt at fixing what isn't broken.

I also don't think any "diet" (and I use the word in quotes, because as long as you think of it as a "diet" rather than a "lifestyle" then it's doomed to fail) that gives you a "cheat day" is worth a rat's ass. Moderate your lifestyle, not your "diet". If you just pay attention to your body, it will tell you what you need and how much. The problem is that we've spent most of our lives (since we were infants anyway) learning to ignore what our bodies tell us, and it's ingrained. This "diet" sounds like it's propagating that mistake, and telling us to ignore our bodies for 6 days of the week; or, 86% of our lives. That's not healthy.

Edit: Ir gud at mafz.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 am

The only reason i call it a "diet" is because thats what most people would refer to it as. I'm on the same boat with you in agreeing it's a lifestyle change.

I don't agree with listening to our body because our body is designed to want to take in as much food as possible. Our design is to prevent starvation not prevent getting fat. We are designed to be foragers and hunters and thus not have food readily available at all times(think cavemen). Also you have no caloric restrictions or anything. Eat as much as you want as long as it's a legume a lean protein or a vegetable. From eating these 3 things you can get all the nutrients you need.
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Your body will tell you when you're full, and you can judge how near/far you are from being full. That's the sign we ignore most often, partially because of portion sizes, but mostly because we were just raised that way. I know I was told "You'd better eat everything on your plate, or else!" when I was growing up.

The trick is learning how full you need to be to have enough energy without constant hunger pangs. My target is about 3/4 of the way there - that gives me all the energy I need, without hunger pangs and without the feeling of lethargy you get from overeating. Of course, I do eat well balanced meals and I keep track of them to ensure that I'm not missing anything I absolutely need, but even if I do come up short in some essential nutrient, I can generally tell by what I start to crave.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:07 am

Part of the "feeling full" problem is that people eat so fast their body doesn't have time to register, so they generally overeat. Then by the time their brain catches up to the fact they're full, they've already had more food than they need, which can cause them to feel bloated/fat/"stuffed"/etc.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3529
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:37 am

Chew slower.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:55 am

Not saying it isn't a fixable thing, just that's generally why people "ignore" their body telling them they're full... because it hasn't registered due to fast eating.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3529
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:37 am

Realistically, our bodies are pretty bad communicators, particularly in the area of diet where it mostly uses an outdated model that doesn't expect us to have access to all the food you could possibly eat 24X7. Sometimes you just have to train yourself to override what your body is saying, like knowing that when your body says it's 75% full, that really means 100% full.

Sometimes you need to train your body, eating healthy meals will have you craving healthy foods, unfortunately the opposite is also true, so eating poorly can often cause you to crave more poor foods. Foods high in fiber, protein, and fat will give you a full feeling longer, but that latter category has twice the calories of the former. Sugars and carbs go don't tend to leave you satisified for long, but due to their high energy, often the body will release "good feeling" hormones when you eat them.

It can take some work, but if you focus on eating good foods, and also make those good food choices fairly convenient, then before you know it that's really what you'll be most interested in and your health will improve. At that point, you've made a lifestyle change, which is really what is needed instead of "dieting", for long term success.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:51 am

Our bodies aren't really all that bad at communicating with us, we're just absolutely HORRIBLE at deciphering what they're saying*. It's kinda like if you walk through the bank's drive-through teller area, and try to let the teller know what you want without using the vacuum tube or the intercom. Unless you both speak sign language, nothing's going to get accomplished.

* We've been trained to ignore what our bodies tell us. In some cases (pushing through the pain a little bit) this is a good thing, but in most cases it isn't (cleaning your plate because of starving kids in Africa).
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am

I agree with Fridmarr. Our bodies don't want the same thing our conscious mind wants. Our bodies want survival and thats it. It wants you to carry body fat around because it's a good source of energy if we can't access food. But we will never have a time where we can't access food so body fat serves no purpose (other than the essential body fat which is what 3-5% in males).
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:42 pm

That's kinda low. Last I heard, it was closer to around 10-11%. And body fat plays a very important role - it provides energy for muscles, lubrication for muscle fibers, and acts as insulation to help keep our temperature in check.

Our bodies want to store fat for colder months, so when it gets cold we tend to get hungrier and our metabolisms slow down. That's where exercise comes into play - it keeps our metabolism relatively high, so we don't store as much fat as we normally would.

And is it so hard to believe that we can train ourselves to listen to our bodies? Look at the crazy shit people train themselves to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEDPSztxyjs - after watching demonstrations like that, is it really so hard to think that we can learn to listen to what our bodies need as a guide for our lifestyles?

Granted, it's not for everyone. People are essentially lazy and will always take the path of least resistance.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:46 pm

No one said we can't learn but that's not the problem. The problem is that the body isn't sending the messages at a level that we are looking for. When it does send messages, because your body isn't worried about the same things you are, even the most fundamentally basic things can be misleading. As you point out something as basic as "have I eaten enough" requires you to override your body's message.

Certainly picking up on various queues from the body can be helpful but not nearly sufficient by themselves.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:13 am

It's 10–13% in women and 3–5% in men. Your muscles gets most of it's energy from glucose reserves that your muscles themselves store. After that you body can aerobically burn fat to produce energy for muscles. So while saying it's energy for muscles isn't wrong fat isn't your muscles primary energy source. Perimysium is what lubricates your muscles. I'm not sure what kind of cell it is but it doesn't really matter. You body isn't going to go into your muscles to find these cells and break them down for energy as they are a part of your muscles. They would degenerate at the same time as muscle and not fat. Saying we need fat to keep our temperature in check while it is accurate it is outdated. If we didn't have clothes then yes that would be a very important roll of fat. If anything it being colder out would actually increase metabolism as shivering causes an increase. The only reason your metabolism would slow down is because you are not taking in enough food or not enough food that can be converted to energy.

Is it that we are training ourselves to listen to our bodies or that we are training ourselves to ignore most messages and only listen to a select few. Shaolin monks are capable of taking what would be unbearable amount of pain for the normal person because they learn to block those pain messages.
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 am

I can't find a reputable source for the 3-5% being the "essential" marker, but most everything my google-fu pulls up seems to state that. I still say that's ridiculously low - even pro athletes run around 8-10%.

Other than that, you're pretty well off the mark on just about everything else you've claimed there, Dapaladin. I had a big writeup on "how fat works", but figured I wouldn't bore everyone else to tears, so if you're interested then just feel free to drop me a PM and I'll explain it to you.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Of course it's low. It's the bare minimum your body needs to survive. And you can't find a reputable source because it's very well known fact...

And now that that is out of the way... This thread is for peoples education and experience about "fitness and health". If there is bad information here I suggest you refute it with some good information. So if i don't know what I'm talking about instead of just saying "no you're wrong" fix what I've said to make it right or just make a brand new statement. So you say i have no idea how fat works. Thats fine since i clearly don't know inform me and all who may be reading this instead of just saying its wrong and leaving us with nothing.
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Perimysium (and epimysium/endomysium) is adipose tissue mixed with fibers for support (areolar connective tissue), so basically fat and rubber bands, and no, it's generally not broken down for conversion to energy.

Muscles store energy as glycogen, not glucose. It's broken down into glucose as needed for aerobic/anaerobic respiration. Glucose isn't stored anywhere in the body at all, actually - if glucose is present in the body it's either being converted to glycogen for storage, or being immediately used for cellular respiration.

Oh, and glycogen is pretty much what fat is composed of. It's arranged in molecules with 3 glycogen "tails" called a triglyceride.

And even without clothing, fat still insulates our body. It's not only subdermal, but it also surrounds most of our organs, which clothing doesn't have any effect on.

Shivering doesn't increase metabolism. It generates heat through friction, but the activity is so minor that it doesn't even register a change in overall metabolic processes. Metabolism is the sum total of all chemical reactions in the body - both catabolic (breaking things down, e.g. glycolysis) and anabolic (building things up, e.g. protein synthesis). Although I suppose if you were in a situation where you were shivering, you would technically be increasing the metabolism - but only because it was slowed by the cold.

Proteins are fickle beasties, and tend to denature rather easily. All of the proteins in our body will denature at a high enough temperature, or the reactions will be slowed enough by low temperature that they would essentially cease to function. Your metabolism can slow for any number of reasons; serum salinity (not salty enough/too salty, affects water retention and action potentials and can interfere with some reactions), pH (too much/too little acidity can affect the rate of reactions and denature proteins), dehydration, etc... food intake has surprisingly little effect on reactions, except if you're to the point of complete starvation where our body simply doesn't have enough amino acids to even begin to produce the proteins required for reactions to occur, or is so low in glucose that you can't generate ATP.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Metabolism is not really affected by weather, at least not directly. Other habits may be affected by weather and those can in turn affect one's metabolic rate. Generally speaking, because people tend to gain weight in the winter metabolic rate actually goes up not down. The weight gain is usually from an increase in appetite and a decrease in physical activity, both of which can be weather related.

That said, I think this is reaching a point where it's not beneficial to the thread. Fat is an important nutrient in one's diet. Additionally, some amount of it is important to be stored in the body for various purposes. I'm betting most of us (and in particular those reading this thread) have stored more than is necessary. The precise amount that qualifies as the minimum is not particularly useful in the context of this thread, so lets wrap this tangent up.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Fridmarr wrote:That said, I think this is reaching a point where it's not beneficial to the thread.


^^ That.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby ryan4nayr » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:18 pm

I realize I'm going off on a tangent from the recent tone of this thread, but I would like to hear your thoughts on a fitness-related question I have.

Of late I have been involved in a fitness regimen that involves a good balance of
  • cardio (1 h on the elliptical machine tue., thu., sat., outdoor bicycling 2+ h on sat. & maybe sun. weather permitting) with 15 min. warmup/stretching before+after;
  • martial arts training with a master every wed. night for 90 mins. On my wed. classes I notice I'm the only student there who's not out of breath, so I'm discovering my stamina is sufficient
I do notice everybody in class is pretty buff, in terms of musculature, so I wonder if throwing in some weight training would benefit me at all. I have gradually been developing some upper body muscle bulk due to the hard-hitting nature of the art, so I don't feel too bad about not keeping up on that aspect of my routine. My daily activities in a healthcare profession require a very, very minor amount of lifting, but my job requires more of mental acuity & hand-eye coordination than physical strength.

I'm fairly comfortable with my weight, sure I could lose 10-15 lbs. but at times it's nice having the fat stores when I cannot eat meals during long procedures. I don't consider weight loss at all in my planning, but I am thinking of my martial arts and patient lifting prn

So, TLDR... weight training, aye or nay?
User avatar
ryan4nayr
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest