Remove Advertisements

Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 am

We run outside, never on a treadmill, and more often throughout the winter than the summer. Running barefoot is not an option, nor is wearing minimalist shoes through the snow that we occasionally have to deal with.

Anyway, I've run my entire life, this isn't something I've picked up on a whim and decided to do. I think my current lack of fitness in areas other than running was a contributing factor to the muscle strain I just experienced. It's already lessened to the point of being almost unnoticeable and I imagine I'll be back running next week, but will be sure to stretch and start doing more core exercises in order to make sure my muscles are a bit stronger.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 am

I find it incredibly amusing when I see people running through the city barefoot. Considering the number of times I have seen broken glass, dog shit, and hypodermic needles on the sidewalk I think they have a pretty warped view of what is "healthy."
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 am

katraya wrote:I find it incredibly amusing when I see people running through the city barefoot. Considering the number of times I have seen broken glass, dog shit, and hypodermic needles on the sidewalk I think they have a pretty warped view of what is "healthy."

Exactly. I don't even like the idea of running on a gym treadmill barefoot. Ew.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 am

There is a woman at my gym (which is at my workplace) that runs in just socks and without a shirt. Obviously she is illiterate since there are signs everywhere saying that neither of those things is acceptable.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am

katraya wrote:There is a woman at my gym (which is at my workplace) that runs in just socks and without a shirt. Obviously she is illiterate since there are signs everywhere saying that neither of those things is acceptable.

Pics or it didn't happen... unless she's fugly.. then I trust you.. ;)
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 am

Got a fitocracy invite! \o/
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:20 am

I ordered a Fitbit last night, I am really quite excited about it. I have been hearing great things about it from people on another forum I frequent.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:19 am

Only problem I'd have with that is being unable to take it into our vault. It could be completely safe, but we aren't allowed wireless transmitting devices (heck, we can't even have a regular old iPod...)
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:21 am

Skye1013 wrote:Only problem I'd have with that is being unable to take it into our vault. It could be completely safe, but we aren't allowed wireless transmitting devices (heck, we can't even have a regular old iPod...)

What... like a bank vault?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 am

Intel vault... where we keep all our secret squirrel stuff (shh... don't tell anyone!)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Hmm that fitrep thing looks pretty cool
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:21 am

Ok... so this falls more under the "health" category...

Occasionally, I'll get this feeling over most (if not all) of my body that's like little pins or needles pricking me (kind of like an itch, but over nearly my entire body.) It never really lasts more than about 10-15 seconds, but I'm wondering what could be the cause of it. Anyone else ever have similar experiences?
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 am

Skye1013 wrote:Intel vault... where we keep all our secret squirrel stuff (shh... don't tell anyone!)

Not gonna lie, when I first read this post, my mind put "Intel" together with "Squirrel" and went to something along these lines:

and I imagined a secret underground research facility containing thousands of squirrel-powered server banks.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Occasionally, I'll get this feeling over most (if not all) of my body that's like little pins or needles pricking me (kind of like an itch, but over nearly my entire body.)

I have experienced something similar, associated with a Niacin overdose in my case. Niacin is a vitamin that can 'encourage' you blood vessels to dilate. I learned about it in college and would sometimes take extra Niacin to sort of 'cleanse' if you will. Its an interesting experience, but it can be rather intense if you take too much. Your body gets all red (dilated blood vessles) ALL over, and you itch/burn everywhere. It can last for 20-mins for a modest OD to like 1+ hour if you are too irresponsible. Afterwards you would need to replenish your B-vitamins.

If this is what is happeneing to you, then it will happen after you take a vitamin/niacin supplement or consume food high in Niacin. But that is the only thing I am familiar with that is similar to what you describe.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Arnock » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Ok... so this falls more under the "health" category...

Occasionally, I'll get this feeling over most (if not all) of my body that's like little pins or needles pricking me (kind of like an itch, but over nearly my entire body.) It never really lasts more than about 10-15 seconds, but I'm wondering what could be the cause of it. Anyone else ever have similar experiences?

Does it feel like the same 'pins and needles' that you get when a foot falls asleep?

If so, it sounds like something nerve-related. At any rate, you might want to get that checked out by an actual doctor.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum