Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 am

Either you've become more active (sex perhaps? as Lev mentioned), started eating (at least somewhat) healthier, or perhaps your muscles are deteriorating (muscle weighing more than fat and all that...)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Levantine wrote:Do you stretch properly when you run?

No, and have never done so. So perhaps as I get older that's a problem. I used to be "known" for never stretching before soccer games and yet performing just fine.

Edit: That being said, when I was at my most physically active, I used to spend about 45 minutes a day just stretching, but it was never before cardio of any type.


Stretching isn't a performance enhancer. It's a "next day pain" preventative.

My bet is it's a combination of more exercise with no stretching. Put an ice pack on it, take some ibuprofen, and rest. Also, stretch more - it definitely never hurts, and it'll almost certainly prevent any type of motion injury to soft tissue, if done right.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Aubade » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Either you've become more active (sex perhaps? as Lev mentioned), started eating (at least somewhat) healthier, or perhaps your muscles are deteriorating (muscle weighing more than fat and all that...)



I think it's a mixture of sex, slightly better eating, and hard work (I've been doing sanding/welding work instead of standing around selling video games). But 30 Lbs seems like a TON of weight to lose without doing some serious dieting/working out.
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4877
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Doctor says it was just muscle stress/strain. Go easy and let it heal - although he did encourage me to stretch lightly while it was still painful. Bit of a relief tbh.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:57 am

Aubade wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:Either you've become more active (sex perhaps? as Lev mentioned), started eating (at least somewhat) healthier, or perhaps your muscles are deteriorating (muscle weighing more than fat and all that...)



I think it's a mixture of sex, slightly better eating, and hard work (I've been doing sanding/welding work instead of standing around selling video games). But 30 Lbs seems like a TON of weight to lose without doing some serious dieting/working out.

What sort of time frame are we talking about? 1 month, 1 year, more? If your calorie scale dropped 500 per day (via lower calorie foods and/or more activity) that's roughly 1 pound a week.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby katraya » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 am

I had to go down to DC for the biannual meeting of one of the national studies I work on.

One of the ladies was going on about how I had definitely lost weight and how noticeable it was. She's totally my new best friend. :D
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Barathorn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:32 am

Nikachelle wrote:Doctor says it was just muscle stress/strain. Go easy and let it heal - although he did encourage me to stretch lightly while it was still painful. Bit of a relief tbh.


Nika I used to suffer with this a lot when I was younger and fitter and playing rugby a lot so I know it can be a huge issue. I always use Thai Balm/Oil for any muscle strain, its quite expensive but it works. If you are tight on a budget I suggest something like heatpads for sprains and strains and a bag of Pea's for any swelling. As you did, go to your GP as soon as you can if in any doubt.

My advice to anyone who runs is pretty simple, run on something soft like grass or spongeyturf and not on the road because the impact you will sustained from prolonged road running will feck you badly once you get past your late 30's. My knees are absolutely shot now purely from rugby and road running and carrying too much weight now.

Losing weight in your 40's isn't easy.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7113
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 am

Oddly enough, I found the peppermint oil I randomly had seemed to resolve a lot of the pain I was having.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:54 am

Menthol is a great additive for getting relief through skin - mostly because it triggers the temperature receptors in the skin and that interferes with pain signals being sent to the brain from that area.

So our brain, instead of "feeling" the pain, feels cold/heat. That's how liniment and icy/hot (or bengay) works.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:06 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Aubade wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:Either you've become more active (sex perhaps? as Lev mentioned), started eating (at least somewhat) healthier, or perhaps your muscles are deteriorating (muscle weighing more than fat and all that...)



I think it's a mixture of sex, slightly better eating, and hard work (I've been doing sanding/welding work instead of standing around selling video games). But 30 Lbs seems like a TON of weight to lose without doing some serious dieting/working out.

What sort of time frame are we talking about? 1 month, 1 year, more? If your calorie scale dropped 500 per day (via lower calorie foods and/or more activity) that's roughly 1 pound a week.


roughly a year
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4877
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Arnock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 am

You definitely should be stretching before any prolonged running, it doesn't really improve performance, but it will help prevent injuries, or general muscle pain/tightness.

At the very least, stretch your hamstrings, calves, and quads.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I'm fairly positive this isn't the best place to be asking for medical help, but I'm wondering if anyone has had to deal with a similar issue I'm experiencing right now.

I've been running pretty consistently over the past year or so, although it slowed down in the past few months, but I've at least been running 5k once a week. Last week I stepped it up to 5k, twice a week. On the day between runs I noticed I had somewhat of a "stitch"/cramp on my right hip throughout the day. My lower back was hurting a little bit, but I didn't pay much attention to it since it wasn't anything severe. I ran another 5k the next day and the pain I experienced while waking up the next morning was awful. The pain the morning after (this morning) is insane. Woke up at 5:30 am, in pain, and haven't been able to get back to sleep. It feels like the pain is radiating out from my lower spine into my right hip. I'm unsure if I should even try to stretch it out (although doing so is pretty painful) and lying down in any position is completely uncomfortable.

I have experienced lower back pain before, although I wouldn't call it chronic - but it's only happened during period where I wasn't being physically active (namely, when I first discovered WoW). I've certainly got excess weight on me, but I would venture to say I'm healthier than most people in my weight range as I do play soccer regularly throughout the summer (and have done so since I was eight), run about 2-3 times per week, in addition to walking about 5k every day to work (that's both directions included).

Any thoughts? I hope it's just a muscle strain, but it's hard not to be worried about something like your back.


I'd recommend that anyone who runs to work on getting rid of their "running shoes". When you run in running shoes you land on your heels which causes your knees and hips to absorb all the shock of the impact and those body parts are not designed to do so. If you watch the way people run who have never worn shoes (Ethiopian runners) when they run they land on the balls of their feet letting the arch of their foot and their calves absorb the shock which is the way the body is intended to run. Some people mistake this for running on your toes which will strain your calves and feet more so than needed. I'm not sure where you run Nikachelle but if it's on a treadmill I'd recommend practicing running barefoot for small increments and increase it over time. If you run out doors there are minimalist shoes you can get if you don't want to run around outside without shoes on. If you do decide to try this you can't just switch to all barefoot running right away as your calves and the muscles in your feet will be underdeveloped and you will run a high risk of straining or some other overwork injury.

Of course I'm not doctor or personal trainer just a fitness enthusiast. There is a lot of science out there to support how destructive running shoes are but it's not an easy switch and in the end it's up to you!

Edit: Yeah and what people said stretching prevents injury like pulling a muscle. You actually don't have to stretch if you do a slow paced warm-up as it fits the same purpose to warm-up your muscles before you get into an actual workout.
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 am

Dapaladin wrote:I'd recommend that anyone who runs to work on getting rid of their "running shoes". When you run in running shoes you land on your heels which causes your knees and hips to absorb all the shock of the impact and those body parts are not designed to do so. If you watch the way people run who have never worn shoes (Ethiopian runners) when they run they land on the balls of their feet letting the arch of their foot and their calves absorb the shock which is the way the body is intended to run. Some people mistake this for running on your toes which will strain your calves and feet more so than needed. I'm not sure where you run Nikachelle but if it's on a treadmill I'd recommend practicing running barefoot for small increments and increase it over time. If you run out doors there are minimalist shoes you can get if you don't want to run around outside without shoes on. If you do decide to try this you can't just switch to all barefoot running right away as your calves and the muscles in your feet will be underdeveloped and you will run a high risk of straining or some other overwork injury.

Of course I'm not doctor or personal trainer just a fitness enthusiast. There is a lot of science out there to support how destructive running shoes are but it's not an easy switch and in the end it's up to you!

Edit: Yeah and what people said stretching prevents injury like pulling a muscle. You actually don't have to stretch if you do a slow paced warm-up as it fits the same purpose to warm-up your muscles before you get into an actual workout.

This isn't for everyone though. I know this is anecdotal, but one of the guys I work with attempted to switch to running on the balls of his feet. Initially he thought it was helping him (though he was always feeling it, and even had difficulties walking some days.) It's not like he tried to immediately switch over either, he was running ~3-4 miles a day before, then dropped to <1 mile while trying to transition. Ultimately it was just causing him pain in other areas (hips/back) after trying it for about 3 months or so. He made the switch back to his normal running habits (which wasn't heel running, but certainly isn't "balls of the feet" running) and now his pain has gone away.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:38 am

Aubade wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:What sort of time frame are we talking about? 1 month, 1 year, more? If your calorie scale dropped 500 per day (via lower calorie foods and/or more activity) that's roughly 1 pound a week.


roughly a year

Then that's not all that surprising. If you weren't really gaining weight before ("plateaud" as seems to be the common term) then a reduction in calories definitely could have cause a 30lb. loss in a year. Even at 250 a day:

250cal x 7days = 1750cal ~= .5lb
.5lb x 52wks = 26lbs
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fivelives » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 am

The jury's out regarding barefoot running. Nobody's come up with solid evidence that says it's better, just that it's different - and the most vehement supporters of barefoot running can still only say "it's more natural! And nature is better!"

Personally, I've seen more repetitive stress injuries (shin splints, dropped arches, etc) in my running group among people that run barefoot or in those godawful "toe shoes" than among people that wear proper running shoes. I'm not sure if it's training or what, but that's my own anecdotal experience.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest