Remove Advertisements

Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:30 am

I don't know if it's a tear yet! Shoulder mobility has gotten significantly better in the last few days (oddly) and my doctor will have the actual results from the ultrasound this coming week. (The technician wasn't really giving me much to go with.)

I'm still able to run and play soccer though as none of those involve lifting my arms, so that's been decent. I'm just rather pissed about losing any strength gains I've accumulated in the past few months.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11001
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Amirya » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 am

So back in the summer, I did 4 weeks of no bread/rice/pasta, and no processed sugar/HFCS, stuck to fruits and vegetables and protein, lots of water and iced tea.

My A1C dropped to under 7 (I think it was 6.6), which made my endocrinologist almost jump up out of his chair and dance. After the 4 weeks, I quit doing it, because it was the lack of rice more than anything that I was having trouble with.

I now find I need to go back to it, on a longer basis, because I've completely fallen off the wagon. I recognize that, and am starting today to correct that. However, rather than NO, I'm keeping it to "in small doses" - I believe the NO was what contributed to me backpedalling so much.

The issue I run into is threefold:
1. food is seriously boring the hell out of me, I eat because either my body tells me to or I feel socially pressured to do so - such as Thanksgiving, I didn't start eating right away, was just passing food onward without taking any, and my mother commented, "she does that and I don't know why." So I ate (unfortunately, carb heavy as turkey is disgusting)
2. All the hype says that this will make you feel "better" and "have more energy" - but my experience is just the opposite. It made me angrier, more resentful, more violent feeling, and that was when I could be arsed to stay awake - I preferred to sleep or do something low energy. Of course, I could just be a complete mutant, since my stepfather has deigned to inform me that I'm not doing something right (he's a condescending ass 82.472% of the time, so I just ignore him)
3. I still can't find a proper motivation (vanity is not one of my sins). I'm also apparently ghoulish for maintaining the outlook that we all die sometime, can't stave that off, so what the hell is the point in "being healthier to live longer" and if it's going to be an ultimate failure anyway (and it keeps me around people longer, the majority of whom I despise being around)?

Blah. The anger and resentment mentioned in #2 is already forming. No good can come of this. I guess I just should vent more. :)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Zalaria » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:23 pm

That sounds a lot like the paleo diet. There are some people around here who are rabidly against it, but it really helps a lot of people.

If the food is boring, have a look at google's results for paleo. There are a lot of people who post recipes to their blogs, and some of them are really good. There are replacements for almost anything you would have normally made. Hope you like cooking though, or at least don't hate it.

Something that can be hard while on paleo is keeping carbs high enough. When you're not getting all the carbs from bread/pasta/etc you have to actually keep an eye on them. That may have been the cause of #2 and the rice cravings.

Also, for #1 - it happens. Don't worry about it. People who don't eat like this don't understand it and often try to put down those who do. It sucks, but if it's your path to being healthy it's worth it. If you do give in and have a cheat day, that's ok. Just pick it back up the next day. Cheat days can make it easier to keep on the wagon the rest of the time.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
User avatar
Zalaria
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:27 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Amirya wrote:So back in the summer, I did 4 weeks of no bread/rice/pasta, and no processed sugar/HFCS, stuck to fruits and vegetables and protein, lots of water and iced tea.

My A1C dropped to under 7 (I think it was 6.6), which made my endocrinologist almost jump up out of his chair and dance. After the 4 weeks, I quit doing it, because it was the lack of rice more than anything that I was having trouble with.

I now find I need to go back to it, on a longer basis, because I've completely fallen off the wagon. I recognize that, and am starting today to correct that. However, rather than NO, I'm keeping it to "in small doses" - I believe the NO was what contributed to me backpedalling so much.

The issue I run into is threefold:
1. food is seriously boring the hell out of me, I eat because either my body tells me to or I feel socially pressured to do so - such as Thanksgiving, I didn't start eating right away, was just passing food onward without taking any, and my mother commented, "she does that and I don't know why." So I ate (unfortunately, carb heavy as turkey is disgusting)
2. All the hype says that this will make you feel "better" and "have more energy" - but my experience is just the opposite. It made me angrier, more resentful, more violent feeling, and that was when I could be arsed to stay awake - I preferred to sleep or do something low energy. Of course, I could just be a complete mutant, since my stepfather has deigned to inform me that I'm not doing something right (he's a condescending ass 82.472% of the time, so I just ignore him)
3. I still can't find a proper motivation (vanity is not one of my sins). I'm also apparently ghoulish for maintaining the outlook that we all die sometime, can't stave that off, so what the hell is the point in "being healthier to live longer" and if it's going to be an ultimate failure anyway (and it keeps me around people longer, the majority of whom I despise being around)?

Blah. The anger and resentment mentioned in #2 is already forming. No good can come of this. I guess I just should vent more. :)


I imagine you're on some diabetes meds? And it's type 2? Depending on which ones and how they function, #2 might be a result of hypoglycemia like Zalaria alluded to.

E.g. my mum's on Gliclazide (which admittedly isn't marketed in the US, but perhaps you get others that function similarly) which stimulates her pancreas to produce more insulin. Even if she eats very little carbs, insulin production remains stimulated with the result that her blood glucose nosedives, leaving her lethargic/light-headed and irritable. In her case a reasonable supply of slow-digesting carbs kept her blood glucose a lot more stable. She still doesn't have much in the way of carb dense food apart from a daily slice of wholewheat toast, but gets enough from the dairy/veg she does eat to stave off low blood sugar (lots of greens as well as a reasonable amount of legumes, some greek yoghurt and the occasional piece of fruit).

Shot in the dark based on one symptom and not all diabetes meds function in this way, but it might be a factor.
Rhiannon
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Amirya » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Yes, it's type 2, and I'm currently on metformin, novolog insulin for meals, and lantus insulin for the slow release. During that month, I was checking my glucose levels constantly, and only once did the number ever reach in double digits; that was a 98 after I came home and slept an hour instead of eating dinner. Most of the time, it hovered around 120-130, depending on how soon after a meal I checked (which was dependent on how irritable I was).

I'm not opposed to fruits and vegetables, I generally like most fruits, and the only vegetables offhand I don't like are the sweet potato and the yam (I've heard them used separately and interchangeably, so whatever it's called, I dislike). I'm not a huge fan of birds, but I am only opposed to turkey.

That said, I'm not even sure what was causing the irritability; my roommate did it same time as me so when we had breakfast/lunch/dinner, I wasn't staring at the slice of pizza on his plate or anything. I also don't like to cook, or even do any food preparation - to me, it makes food unappetizing. To be sure, I'm having to do a bit more, as my mother's limited in what she will eat right now (lot of fresh cucumber and sumiso dressing for her). However, there were some suggestions for slow cooker meals, so that's on my to-do list.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:10 am

Being in an office environment during the month of December is a freaking caloric death trap. :evil:
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11001
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Being in an office environment during the month of December is a freaking caloric death trap. :evil:

you said it sister
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10472
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Aubade » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:02 pm

I embrace the deathtrap. Someone just brought me gingerbread cookies at my desk. YES PLZ.
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4877
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Amirya » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:39 pm

I am rejecting it. We have a holiday party coming up on Friday, complete with lunch.

I first refused to vote on the locale (passed my vote onward to someone else), and then I will refuse to order any food from said locale.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Has anyone ever tried Keto? My family started back in August. My son (5'6") went from 189 to 158 (target:150). My wife (5'2") went from 135 to 118 (target 115). I (5'8") went from 150 to 135. I technically stopped "dieting" at 140 but dropped more weight just because our eating habits changed.

It's an interesting diet.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Being in an office environment during the month of December is a freaking caloric death trap. :evil:

you said it sister

The VP decided to have a two hour "Bake Off" on the floor today. You have to go around to every table (over 16 teams) and sample their baked goods and vote for the best one.

I couldn't even make this shit up if I tried.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11001
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Amirya » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am

You could always refuse to participate due to health concerns.

On my end, the team voted for an Italian place, and I was persuaded to just go with a salad. I have no idea how bad the dressing will be.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Zalaria » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 am

You can always just ask for oil & vinegar.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
User avatar
Zalaria
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:27 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Amirya » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38 am

Eh, my boss is placing our orders and then picking up and paying for them. I'd rather make it as simple as possible for him. Easy enough to simply not eat the whole thing.

I ordered The Big Beefstro.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 am

Nikachelle wrote:The VP decided to have a two hour "Bake Off" on the floor today. You have to go around to every table (over 16 teams) and sample their baked goods and vote for the best one.

I couldn't even make this shit up if I tried.


You can be the aesthetics judge!
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?