Remove Advertisements

Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Delphineas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:59 pm

I have no activity level atm. Just looking to increase my strength and tone a little bit. At last measure, I was 130 at 5'5, which seems a little light to me.

Basically I sit at the computer all day. Finally have my sleep schedule ironed out. The DBS is helping a bit, but probably won't see the results I want for a few more months. But my back spasms have stopped, so I think I can ride a bike(Exercise, not sure if I have my real one anymore.)

Is there a difference between 25 pushups and 5 sets of 5?
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Yes, there is a big difference. If you can do a set of 25 pushups, then 5 sets of 5 is not going to be a sufficient workout. The flip side (being more obvious) is that it's much harder to do a single set of 25 than to do 5 sets of 5.

That being said, the total quantity isn't important. Sets of 5 are good for strength assuming of course they are sufficiently challenging.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:57 am

Nikachelle wrote:I'm impressed you're going to the doctor so quickly. (Sucks about the injury though.) Part of it may just be underuse over all the years and now suddenly you're putting your limbs through the ringer with all the exercise.

I hope that's all it is. I'm going quickly because I have some momentum going and don't want to lose it.

So you're four weeks in - surely you're noticing some changes by now? Either in your clothing or on the scale?

eh, scale's going down, but not any faster/consistently than it was when i was just doing dietary changes. :/ In fact in the past week it fluctuated up and then down again so it's not even like i am maintaining a strict downward line.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 am

Don't worry about having a strict downward line. Weightloss is anything but linear. I'd post a picture of my loss over the past year and you would see how up and down it jumps, but they've cut off external ftp access. >.<
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby cdan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:57 am

Use a tape measure and forget the scale.

Once a month measure hips, thigh, upper arm and chest.

Measure your waist once a week.

That should give you a better idea of which direction you are going rather than something that only measures the force of your acceleration towards the centre of the earth. :)
cdan

Postby Delphineas » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:08 am

Well I managed 23 sit ups and 10 push ups. Holy crap didn't realize I was that weak. Is it cheating to anchor your feet on sit ups?
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 am

Delphineas wrote: Is it cheating to anchor your feet on sit ups?

Yes, if you're using that anchor to help make you sit up. You shouldn't need to anchor your feet if you're doing them correctly. If you have to anchor to hold yourself still, or to force yourself to sit up, then you're likely using your legs to help drag your torso upwards.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 pm

I just stepped up to 100 pound squats... and my knees have started to do this disgusting crackling noise throughout each squat. It's horrible. It's not painful, but the noise is so disconcerting that it's REALLY offputting. They're still creaking now at home as I sit down and get up. I have to point out it's not a cracking or popping sound... it's more like someone is crinkling a plastic bag. What the hell is it and how do I get rid of that sound?! D:
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby cdan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 am

Cavitation (crepitus). Not a problem. Only a problem if it is painful in any way.
cdan

Postby katraya » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 am

My knees are crackley too, I've been told it's not a big deal as long as they don't hurt.

I was hospitalized Friday night with stomach pains and had my gallbladder removed yesterday. I'm frustrated that this is going to prevent me from working out for about a month and lifting even longer. I'd gotten a good momentum going and I hate to lose it now. I was also supposed to run my first 5K on Saturday but that's obviously not happening. :cry:
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 am

cdan wrote:Cavitation (crepitus). Not a problem. Only a problem if it is painful in any way.

It's disgusting though, and really puts me off while I'm doing squats.

I'm glad you're feeling good enough to post Kat. Been very worried about you since you let me know. Setbacks suck (especially the 5k thing - I was really rooting for you!), but I'm glad you're enroute to recovery now. (Now to go look up what the gallbladder actually does since apparently we don't need one.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:41 pm

I've heard lots of cracks and pops, but never a crackling sound. I can see how that would be a bit distracting. Hopefully it's just temporary, squats are really a great exercise and worth doing.

Kat, I ran a 5k this summer and I know I would have been pretty bummed to have to back out just before, so I'm sorry that happened. I hope you have a speedy recovery and I'm sure you'll bounce back once you can start training again.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:33 am

This google result suggests:
"Taping the patella may eliminate the crunching."
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:51 am

katraya wrote:I was hospitalized Friday night with stomach pains and had my gallbladder removed yesterday. I'm frustrated that this is going to prevent me from working out for about a month and lifting even longer. I'd gotten a good momentum going and I hate to lose it now. I was also supposed to run my first 5K on Saturday but that's obviously not happening. :cry:

I feel for you kat

I'm having an MRI in 2 weeks to check out my liver/gallbladder to make sure they're still functional. :| While nothing's worse than an emergency gallbladder removal, I'm still dreading the possibility of having it removed.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:51 am

Also I am sore today in ways I did not know it was possible to be sore. I have catalogued at least 3 new types of sore so far.
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum