Fitness and being Healthy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Thalia » Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 am

Arcand wrote:
Thalia wrote:I suppose whatever else I am doing to exercise is really helping my endurance and fortitude. I did the best I have ever done on my treadmill: I ran for 12 minutes straight at a 6, ended up doing 15 mins for 1.5 miles. I measure my success by how long I can last without stopping. When I hit 15 minutes without stopping at a 6 I will then work on how long I can hold at a 7.


I suspect you're making your runs as unpleasant as they can possibly be, if you're doing a "go until I can't anymore" regimen.

Have you ever tried intervals? Run for x minutes, walk for y minutes, repeat; keep tweaking x and y so the percentage of time that you spend running keeps creeping upward. In addition to this not feeling like as much of a grind, there's evidence that you get a greater training effect and fewer injuries when you mix up your intensity.



You are correct, and Aergis tells me the same thing, about interval training burning more calories and all that. I suppose the grind I do is to challenge myself and see how far along I've made myself come. I suppose I always saw it as the High School challenge still, being able to do the mile in under 10-9 minutes.

Perhaps I should leave my own self challenge to once a week and do the more effective interval training more often.

P.S., weigh myself on Sundays, lost 1 pound this week :D
User avatar
Thalia
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Vanifae » Sun May 02, 2010 3:48 pm

I just run from the cops.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun May 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Vanifae wrote:I just run from the cops.

Run from the police!
Run from the police!
Climb the fence!
Climb the fence!
Now let's stash the dough!
Stash the dough!
Don't be sweatin like you got mace in your face, bitch!
Image
The Seeker.
User avatar
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am
Location: Malorne

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby mew » Sun May 02, 2010 3:55 pm

ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Thalia » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Haven't had time to work out the last 2 days. I usually do it while the kids are napping, but I took on a house project, painting our master bedroom, which I was only able to do while the girls napped.

I actually found myself sore on my waist, arms, and back after I finished today and yesterday. Does that count as some physical activity? lol.
User avatar
Thalia
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby mew » Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Thalia wrote:Haven't had time to work out the last 2 days. I usually do it while the kids are napping, but I took on a house project, painting our master bedroom, which I was only able to do while the girls napped.

I actually found myself sore on my waist, arms, and back after I finished today and yesterday. Does that count as some physical activity? lol.

I would say so :O Minor exercise really does add up over time. With your back just make sure that it is the good kind of sore.
I did desk pedaling while grinding heroics on Sunday (for like 2-3 hours) and really felt it on Monday, I didn't think I would. On the days I can't work out I just make sure to eat extra well (I've been slacking this week, I have had time to work out but I wanted to rest instead).
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Vanifae » Tue May 04, 2010 10:28 pm

I ran around and did push ups.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 pm

mew wrote:
Thalia wrote:Haven't had time to work out the last 2 days. I usually do it while the kids are napping, but I took on a house project, painting our master bedroom, which I was only able to do while the girls napped.

I actually found myself sore on my waist, arms, and back after I finished today and yesterday. Does that count as some physical activity? lol.

I would say so :O Minor exercise really does add up over time. With your back just make sure that it is the good kind of sore.
I did desk pedaling while grinding heroics on Sunday (for like 2-3 hours) and really felt it on Monday, I didn't think I would. On the days I can't work out I just make sure to eat extra well (I've been slacking this week, I have had time to work out but I wanted to rest instead).

In terms of losing weight, minor exercise is usually better because strenuous activity causes your appetite to increase. Obviously though, there are lots of benefits to a good old workout.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6465
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby mew » Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 am

Fridmarr wrote:
mew wrote:
Thalia wrote:Haven't had time to work out the last 2 days. I usually do it while the kids are napping, but I took on a house project, painting our master bedroom, which I was only able to do while the girls napped.

I actually found myself sore on my waist, arms, and back after I finished today and yesterday. Does that count as some physical activity? lol.

I would say so :O Minor exercise really does add up over time. With your back just make sure that it is the good kind of sore.
I did desk pedaling while grinding heroics on Sunday (for like 2-3 hours) and really felt it on Monday, I didn't think I would. On the days I can't work out I just make sure to eat extra well (I've been slacking this week, I have had time to work out but I wanted to rest instead).

In terms of losing weight, minor exercise is usually better because strenuous activity causes your appetite to increase. Obviously though, there are lots of benefits to a good old workout.

Interesting, I never thought of it in terms of appetite like that before. I know I can eat a lot more now than I could before I started lifting more (despite eating a lot less overall) :( I've been trying to kill my hunger with large amounts of water lately and it's working quite well.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Wed May 05, 2010 10:34 am

Honestly, it's probably better if you snack a bit, but make it a healthy snack. If you find that you are having to "work" to not eat too much, then there are likely two problems. First, since you are working out, you probably aren't getting enough food to get the full benefit from your workouts. Second, and this is the big one, you won't be able to sustain it. Being healthy isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle, and you need to get into a comfort zone with your workouts and your eating so that it becomes easy and natural.

Anyhow, try spreading your meals out a bit so that you have a little snack or two each day and see if that makes things more comfortable.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6465
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby mew » Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 am

Fridmarr wrote:Honestly, it's probably better if you snack a bit, but make it a healthy snack. If you find that you are having to "work" to not eat too much, then there are likely two problems. First, since you are working out, you probably aren't getting enough food to get the full benefit from your workouts. Second, and this is the big one, you won't be able to sustain it. Being healthy isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle, and you need to get into a comfort zone with your workouts and your eating so that it becomes easy and natural.

Anyhow, try spreading your meals out a bit so that you have a little snack or two each day and see if that makes things more comfortable.

I'm working on the whole water thing. Whenever I get hungry between meals I throw a granola bar, applesauce, or yogurt at it. But I noticed that when I drink water when I get hungry instead (drink water, see if hunger goes away, if yes continue work, if not eat a snack) I end up eating 2 snacks during work rather than 3 or 4. So I'm not really sure if doing that with water is good or bad? I definitely don't let myself just sit there hungry though.
I think there are a lot of other things I need to work on though


Also... Does your stomach start hurting when you get hungry?
For me, that is how I know I am hungry. But I have encountered a lot of people that don't get that at all.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Shathus » Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 am

mew wrote:Also... Does your stomach start hurting when you get hungry?
For me, that is how I know I am hungry. But I have encountered a lot of people that don't get that at all.


My wife gets that. She'll start getting stomach pains and depending how long until we actually eat, if it takes too long, then won't be hungry afterwards.

I'm just always hungry heh
Shathus
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 am

My stomach doesn't hut if i'm hungry, but my intestine does. The stomach itself hurts if I eat after starving for too long. The feeling of hunger is actually very distinct from pain.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10155
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Thalia » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 am

My stomach doesn't hurt, but it feels like this empty feeling, hollow feeling, and then it feels like it contracts, not pain though.
User avatar
Thalia
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Wed May 05, 2010 11:23 am

At first your stomach will feel uncomfortable (though not pain) for lack of eating. If you've been eating too much, that will last about a week if you are cutting back to normal amounts and then your stomach will adjust (shrink) and the sensation will go away. At that point, it becomes pretty easy to control your portions and you'll get "full" on less food than before.

I remember back when I used to have to cut weight to weigh in for wrestling, and I was a stupid kid, I'd basically go 3 days without eating. After the meet, I'd want to pig out and would generally order a ton of food, only to find that after 4 or 5 bites I was completely stuffed. Looking back, I can't believe some of the ridiculously unhealthy things I did for that sport.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6465
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Dapaladin » Wed May 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Fridmarr wrote:At first your stomach will feel uncomfortable (though not pain) for lack of eating. If you've been eating too much, that will last about a week if you are cutting back to normal amounts and then your stomach will adjust (shrink) and the sensation will go away. At that point, it becomes pretty easy to control your portions and you'll get "full" on less food than before.

I remember back when I used to have to cut weight to weigh in for wrestling, and I was a stupid kid, I'd basically go 3 days without eating. After the meet, I'd want to pig out and would generally order a ton of food, only to find that after 4 or 5 bites I was completely stuffed. Looking back, I can't believe some of the ridiculously unhealthy things I did for that sport.


Like not drinking water and losing a bunch of water weight right before a weigh in? XD
Image
Dapaladin
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Arcand » Wed May 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Dapaladin wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:At first your stomach will feel uncomfortable (though not pain) for lack of eating. If you've been eating too much, that will last about a week if you are cutting back to normal amounts and then your stomach will adjust (shrink) and the sensation will go away. At that point, it becomes pretty easy to control your portions and you'll get "full" on less food than before.

I remember back when I used to have to cut weight to weigh in for wrestling, and I was a stupid kid, I'd basically go 3 days without eating. After the meet, I'd want to pig out and would generally order a ton of food, only to find that after 4 or 5 bites I was completely stuffed. Looking back, I can't believe some of the ridiculously unhealthy things I did for that sport.


Like not drinking water and losing a bunch of water weight right before a weigh in? XD


A friend of mine, in order to make the football team, wrapped garbage bags around his arms, legs and torso under his sweats to trap as much heat as possible and then ran laps until he had dropped...I forget. Six or eight pounds.

This was in high school. I'm not completely sure that this coach should go to jail, but I'm pretty damn sure he shouldn't be coaching kids.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Fridmarr » Wed May 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah, all of the last minute weight loss for a weigh in is water weight, but that's on purpose. Our last minute, purge your body of as much water as you can in two hours routine, was basically to put on plastics, several layers of sweats, jog about a mile to the university, get in their sauna still fully dressed in plastics and sweats, then run in place. You'd be amazed at how much water weight you can lose in a couple of hours doing these types of stupid things.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6465
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Daeren » Thu May 06, 2010 3:41 am

My story:
I have great plans for moving some of my fat over to muscles, the thing is actually finding time and opportunity.
There's a couple of things that contributed to my wight gain (around 10 kg during 6 years).

Moving to an apartment: Just by living in a house with 3200 square metres (34000 square feet for those not using metric system, not a huge yard, but still enough to keep track of) of varied terrain around the house means alot of work mowing the grass, cutting trees, clearing some of the more terrain with a scythe, not to mention all the leaves that falls that needs to be cleared and plowing the front porch, painting the house + not to mention cleaning inside the house. Moving to an apartment, there's next to no work like that, so you miss out of alot of good workout just by doing stuff yourself.
Other notes on that, it's much easier for me now to get food, that I don't need to walk the stairs and cross 5 rooms to get to the kitchen. My fridge is now less than 5 metres from where my computer is.

Studying: The hypocrisy that I find time to play, but I feel that time spent working out, and the time it takes to get to a place to run or work out takes time + I get a bit tired afterwards makes it feel like I'm losing out of time I could have spent studying. It just may be me, but for a person that usually haven't needed to work out because of the point above + my then young age, it's hard to get used to new stuff.

Pet: A dog forces you to walk him. This helps as well. I got a dog a year ago, and it does force me out alot more, but I guess this also helps with getting outdoors.

Diet: My diet have gotten better actually since I moved from home. Mostly because I don't need as much because I stopped growing, and I have to pay for my own food. On the other hand, making food for 1 to 2 people often results in eating food that is faster to make. That being said, I haven't really cut back on the food budget, it's where I spend alot of money, just to afford better quality food, like low fat meat, and chicken fillets.

Choice of games: I must say that WoW isn't as consuming as some other games, sadly. You can easily take a break to eat because they game isn't as fast paced as other games. When I play SC2 now for example, I don't really have time to feel hungry or thirsty. I can't take a break midbattle, and I often forget in between battles. In WoW, you can just stop while doing quests, or in a party just say that you need to go AFK 5 minutes, or in my case, the fridge is 5 metres away, so I can just skip out of one trash pack and get some snack.'

Public transportation/personal transportation: While living at home, without a car, I had to walk, usually 15-45 minutes to get to friends. I don't know how that would be now that I have a car, but at least it can't get alot worse than it is now. While living more centrally, even Oslo's terrible public transportation allows me to walk less. Also, that most of my friends are studying in other cities and abroad gives me less incentive to go meet up with people. While it would allow me to get to places where I can jog or walk, it's still a long and expensive trip, which gives me less effective time spent working out.

Alcohol: Not a big problem for me though. For some it might be.

Environment: Oslo isn't one of the filthiest cities, but you notice the difference in air on the outskirts and inside Oslo. Whereas I could run around in the neighborhood or walk to the free areas of Oslo, where there's forest and good places to walk and run, it's not really the same inside Oslo. Not to mention, while it's said that norwegians are born with skis on their feet, I just cba sitting on the metro for 30-45 minutes (and 3€ / 4$) each way to go crosscountry skiing. So bad weather doesn't exactly help in Norway.


The good part is that I'm around 1 month away from finishing my studies, then I'm going to a small town (3500 people) where I can get a house and get alot outdoors together with my dog. Although the days of work will be long, I guess it's better because when I'm off from work, I can do whatever I want, and not always have the bad conscience of that I could always do more reading.
My curse was most likely moving to an apartment inside Oslo, and studying. Living outside the city in a house is by far more preferable. I'm never moving back inside the city, no matter the cost. The only benefit is that I'm able to get home from drinking in a bar by foot, but it's not worth it, by far.
User avatar
Daeren
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:22 pm

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby mew » Mon May 24, 2010 8:16 pm

@Daren: If going to the fridge too often is a problem, what usually helps me is just not letting myself buy things I really shouldn't be eating. If you like any certain kinds of fruit keep that around instead of cookies or chips.
:( Unfortunately studying>exercise, both are important but yeah... I got some desk pedals, maybe you could try using those while studying? It would probably be distracting though.
-For leaner meat, often times you can just cut or drain the excess fat off :( I am super cheap though, but I don't think it's worth the cost. If you are cooking it in a way that you can't remove the fat (like a meatloaf or something) then go for the lean stuff. Also, George Foreman grill! :D
-Last year when I dieted I actually used leveling another alt as part of my diet plan (I won't go snack if I'm entertained), so maybe consider working more of the no-snacking games in? :V
-Would you be able to start biking to some places?
-I've never lived in a big city but I have a friend that does. It seems to just complicate things and make everything take longer to get to :(
Sorry I was so late on this reply.


I was just wondering how everyone is doing?

Does anyone have a good recipe for protein bars? I didn't understand the powder and stuff before, but someone tells me that protein helps make you feel full and makes for good snacks to quell hunger. I tend to eat sugary granola bars when I get hungry between meals, but I think making my own low sugar protein bars would be nicer.
ImageImage
User avatar
mew
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: US

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby hoho » Tue May 25, 2010 2:21 am

Fridmarr wrote:get in their sauna still fully dressed in plastics and sweats
Wouldn't wearing clothes actually lower the sweating there? I would think it takes a looong time for the heat to get to you through all those clothes.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby firstamendme » Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 am

So I just had a physical and my doctor wants me to lose 30 lbs. I eat healthily and work out 2 hours a day 6-7 days a week. The only thing I can think of is I drink pretty heavily on Friday/Saturday, but I have a hard time believing that is the source of 30lbs worth of flab. I guess I can try to add some extra cardio in the mornings before work.

My wife insists that the doctor is retarded and, her words, 'doesnt know anything about weight since he is a skinny little asian man'.

Here goes nothing.
Image
User avatar
firstamendme
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 am

I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but your wife probably knows less about weight than the skinny little asian doctor. I do believe that the skinny asian has years of training in medicine that your wife does not.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby firstamendme » Tue May 25, 2010 4:57 am

Levantine wrote:I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but your wife probably knows less about weight than the skinny little asian doctor. I do believe that the skinny asian has years of training in medicine that your wife does not.



I am aware of that. She was joking and I was relaying that thought. I'm not entirely efficient at conveying when I am not being serious. I put a line break in there to try and separate the kidding sentence from the fact paragraph. I'm going to start using [sarcasm/joking] tags I think.
Image
User avatar
firstamendme
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Fitness and being Healthy

Postby hoho » Tue May 25, 2010 5:03 am

firstamendme wrote:The only thing I can think of is I drink pretty heavily on Friday/Saturday, but I have a hard time believing that is the source of 30lbs worth of flab
What's so hard to believe about that? Alcohol is very good source of body fat, it's called "beer belly" for a reason.

Though 30lbs is quite a bit. If you'd not be underweight after loosing it I'd see no harm in trying to get rid of it.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest