Remove Advertisements

Don't you love it

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Don't you love it

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 am

I feel your pain. I have an LF ENV Touch, and can't get an authenticator for it. Drives me bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
Shoju

Postby guillex » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 am

Shoju wrote:I feel your pain. I have an LF ENV Touch, and can't get an authenticator for it. Drives me bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Thank you Gwen!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby firstamendme » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 am

That song is a running joke where I worked. It was on the radio in the lab and I sprint/dove full tilt across the room to slam it off when she got to the spelling part so that, "It won't get stuck in my head all day."
firstamendme

Postby Arnock » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 pm

theckhd wrote:
fafhrd wrote:All those examples still involve a hardware interface though. Authenticators... aren't. They just let you look up your current RSA key, don't they? Or are they wirelessly entering that key for you now too, and refusing to let you log in without the wireless connection?

No, they don't wirelessly enter it. I wish it did, typing it in is annoying. So even by the new definition, I don't think it counts as a dongle.

How exactly do the things work? Do they have USB connectors and have to be plugged into your computer or what?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Arnock wrote:
theckhd wrote:
fafhrd wrote:All those examples still involve a hardware interface though. Authenticators... aren't. They just let you look up your current RSA key, don't they? Or are they wirelessly entering that key for you now too, and refusing to let you log in without the wireless connection?

No, they don't wirelessly enter it. I wish it did, typing it in is annoying. So even by the new definition, I don't think it counts as a dongle.

How exactly do the things work? Do they have USB connectors and have to be plugged into your computer or what?

Nope. Couldn't say how they work, but you just press a button and it shows you a 6 digit number. You type that number into the box and it lets you log in.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Arnock wrote:
theckhd wrote:

They are dumb devices that generate a number 1X every minute based on an algorithm. Server side at blizzard, they have the same serial number and the same algorithm, so that server will always know what number the dumb device will have, that serial number is attached to your battle.net account, voila, authenticator.

no need for a computer interface.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Gladia » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Playdoh wrote:
They are dumb devices that generate a number 1X every minute based on an algorithm. Server side at blizzard, they have the same serial number and the same algorithm, so that server will always know what number the dumb device will have, that serial number is attached to your battle.net account, voila, authenticator.

no need for a computer interface.

This will give you a better idea Security Token

Essentially like Play had said, depending on the token, some are less time than 1 minute, but it will generate a x number of digits based upon an algorithm, which runs on both sides, server and token, this can get out of sync, but rarely happens, and is usually automatically synced back when entering token codes. The way the blizz token works is, it constantly generates numbers, they are only displayed when the button on the token is pressed. Little known fact about tokens, all tokens from one company use the same algorithm, just have a different "Seed" or starting point for generation of numbers, while one token will not repeat the displayed number for roughly 12 years. Another token can display the same token number later down the road, no two tokens will display the same number at the same time, or relatively close in time, making for a secure access method. Most large corporations use a form of RSA tokens for remote access, or restricting access to certain network/networks/network areas to employees.

Another odd fact, which is why there is different tokens for different countries, several countries out there have a limit on the number of bits of encryption, some have a very strict limit that nothing can be encrypted, since the limits vary from one place to another, the token has to comply with those standards in the country, the US version of an RSA token uses an algorithm that is 256 bits, however say in Russia for example, the same token would have to be 64 or less bits.
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum