Don't you love it

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Don't you love it

Postby Talderas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:30 am

Teranoid wrote:I still get a kick out of how it costs 11 dollars to mail a piece of plastic with a circuit board in it.

Because you're now you're crossing international borders, so you're dealing import/export fees wrapped into the shipping/handling and other such nonsense.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby guillex » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:33 am

Talderas wrote:
Teranoid wrote:I still get a kick out of how it costs 11 dollars to mail a piece of plastic with a circuit board in it.

Because you're now you're crossing international borders, so you're dealing import/export fees wrapped into the shipping/handling and other such nonsense.

This.

Do people still not understand how shipping works?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Joanadark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:40 am

What's a Dongle?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Teranoid » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 am

I know how shipping works.

1)I order something
2)I pay for it
3)A few days later its here.

Excuse me for not knowing (or really even needing to care actually) about ALMIGHTY INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING PRACTICES AND FEES
Teranoid

Postby Talderas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 am

Joanadark wrote:What's a Dongle?

About $6.50.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby fafhrd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 am

Hardware device that needs to be attached to a computer for a piece of software on that computer to work. Was a mildly popular security measure a few decades ago.

An authenticator isn't a dongle, unless the term has been redefined. An authenticator is just a standard RSA keychip, like a lot of VPNs and things use to secure logins.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Aubade » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:09 am

fafhrd wrote:

Hardware device that needs to be attached to a computer for a piece of software on that computer to work. Was a mildly popular security measure a few decades ago.

An authenticator isn't a dongle, unless the term has been redefined. An authenticator is just a standard RSA keychip, like a lot of VPNs and things use to secure logins.

I used to have a Dongle that went with my AutoCAD2003 Program, to make sure you couldn't pirate that shit.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby guillex » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:49 am

fafhrd wrote:

They've redefined it.

A dongle is a small piece of hardware that connects to a laptop or desktop computer.[1] It is a portable device and is often close to the appearance of a USB flash drive. Although earlier use of dongles was to authenticate a piece of software, the word dongle is now widely used to refer to a broadband wireless adapter [2][3] or in general to connectors that translate one type of port to another. The term dongle can also refer to audio recording connectors.

Electrically, the authentication dongles mostly appear as two-interface security tokens with transient data flow that does not interfere with other dongle functions and a pull communication that reads security data from the dongle. These are used by some proprietary vendors as a form of copy protection or digital rights management, because it is generally harder to replicate a dongle than to copy the software it authenticates. Without the dongle, the software may run only in a restricted mode, or not at all. Despite being a hardware device, dongles are not a complete solution to the trusted client problem. When using a dongle, it is necessary to emphasize the importance of making sure there is enough bandwidth to successfully run applications
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby fafhrd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 pm

All those examples still involve a hardware interface though. Authenticators... aren't. They just let you look up your current RSA key, don't they? Or are they wirelessly entering that key for you now too, and refusing to let you log in without the wireless connection?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Talderas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:16 pm

I always giggle like a school girl whenever I hear the word 'dongle'.
Talderas

Postby isiz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Talderas wrote:I always giggle like a school girl whenever I hear the word 'dongle'.

Why a schoolgirl? Aren't dropouts allowed to giggle too?
ImageImage
Tuesday maintenance is merely a setback!
isiz

Postby Gladia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Aubade wrote:
fafhrd wrote:

I used to have a Dongle that went with my AutoCAD2003 Program, to make sure you couldn't pirate that shit.

Lol, just cause it came with a dongle, doesnt mean it cant be pirated, considering i had to bypass one for a licensed piece of software cause the computer did not recognize it.

On a related note, i ordered an authenticator the day they came out 2 yrs ago, still waiting on it... But now i have the blizzcon one.

Edit: Looking through the blizz store, this is on the EU site

"Please note:
Shipping fees have been waived on this product to reduce the cost to the consumer, and the new price for each Authenticator has been adjusted to cover the new lower shipping cost (6.99€ / 6.29 GBP per unit). For example, if you purchase 1 unit, the final price will be 6.99€. If you purchased 2, the price would be 13.98€, and so on, with no additional shipping costs. The special price is only available for orders composed exclusively of authenticators. You can order up to 3 Authenticators at once. As a result, shipment tracking is not available and your order may take up to 3 weeks to arrive. The authenticator may be associated with your World of Warcraft account(s) through Account Management when it is received."
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Postby guillex » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Gladia wrote:Edit: Looking through the blizz store, this is on the EU site

"Please note:
Shipping fees have been waived on this product to reduce the cost to the consumer, and the new price for each Authenticator has been adjusted to cover the new lower shipping cost (6.99€ / 6.29 GBP per unit). For example, if you purchase 1 unit, the final price will be 6.99€. If you purchased 2, the price would be 13.98€, and so on, with no additional shipping costs. The special price is only available for orders composed exclusively of authenticators. You can order up to 3 Authenticators at once. As a result, shipment tracking is not available and your order may take up to 3 weeks to arrive. The authenticator may be associated with your World of Warcraft account(s) through Account Management when it is received."

I do not remember this being on the US store site, but I'll have a look at it when I get home from my conference tonight.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:59 am

fafhrd wrote:All those examples still involve a hardware interface though. Authenticators... aren't. They just let you look up your current RSA key, don't they? Or are they wirelessly entering that key for you now too, and refusing to let you log in without the wireless connection?

No, they don't wirelessly enter it. I wish it did, typing it in is annoying. So even by the new definition, I don't think it counts as a dongle.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Playdoh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:32 am

the blizzard authenticator is a key fob, if we are trying to shorten the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_fob
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum