Remove Advertisements

This year's Blizzcon costume.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: This year's Blizzcon costume.

Postby fafhrd » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:26 am

Joanadark wrote:
That's pretty interesting about the running thing. It seems like it would take a lot of time to build your feet up for that. Where exactly can you do that though?

It takes a little getting used to, but it isn't as bad as you'd expect. Sure, you step on an acorn or a twig or a piece of glass every now and then, and occasionally you get a scrape or two, but no more frequently than you'd pick up a scrape here and there doing, say, biking.
I have pretty tough feet already because I go around barefoot by choice as much as I am allowed to, so it didn't take me too long to build myself up to running my normal distances and pace.

The general concept is that modern running shoes ruin the way the human body is evolved to run by giving your heel too much support. What this does is makes you slam your heel down first with each pace you take while running in running shoes. What this means is every step causes a shock impact to your heel, the ankle above it, and the skeletal structure of your leg and joints are forced to absorb the force of the impact. This is why you hear about runners getting ankle and knee injuries and stress fractures so frequently.

The alternative is running barefoot, or using specially designed foot-shaped form-fitting toe shoes. When you run barefoot, instead of landing heel first, you will land on the balls of your feet, and your ankle will rotate with the impact, allowing the force to be distributed much more evenly and absorbed within the flex of your calf muscles and joints. A pace which lands heel-first delivers 9 times the impact to the bones and joints as one where you land on the balls of your feet and rotate with the pace.

If you try it out for yourself by running a short 20 feet or so down your hallway wearing shoes and without shoes, you will immediately be able to understand the difference between the two running forms. Once you get up to speed running barefoot you will feel almost as if you are running on your tiptoes. Shoes practically turn your feet into a pair of hoofs sprouting out of our ankles, and negate the evolutionary reason why we have feet that stick forward from the ankle joint the way we do.

You can see for yourself just how big of a difference this makes on the wear and tear on your body. Running shoes get worn out extremely quickly, and need to be replaced frequently after only a couple hundred miles. The same impact which rips your running shoes to shreds to rapidly is that which is being delivered to your joints and bones.
On the other hand, with correct running form, the force of each step is absorbed within the flex and tear of your leg muscles, in particular your calves. Muscles rebuild themselves naturally when they receive wear and tear, and become stronger as a result. Barefoot runners have extremely well developed calf muscles, while runners who wear running shoes often have underdeveloped calves.

You can toe-run fine in running shoes, but it takes work finding ones that work - boots are obviously flat out wrong for it, and most of the sneakers I've had growing up were wrong too (soles too stiff, sides too stiff). The sneakers I had that worked really well for it were the ones I had when youngests, not sure if that was a coincidence or how shoes are designed for young kids. You want something with flexible soles, flexible and tight body (a shoe that makes my feet feel narrow works best for me), and very free around the ankles. Basically needs to encourage your whole foot to be springy when you land on your balls.

You can also do it in sandals btw, especially in flip-flops you don't really have a choice since landing on your heels will make you lose the sandal soon enough.

My feet are too soft to run outdoors barefoot much (or even really walk barefoot outdoors much), but whenever I run it's usually on my toes - I can beat most people I've run with that way (in speed, not even remotely in endurance), but usually not if I'm wearing some crappy shoes that make me land on my heels. The stronger you make your toes the faster you can go, since you can push off more, which is what makes up for the distance lost in landing on your heel and rolling over the whole foot.

Also I need to send you that avatar properly, don't like your current one -.-
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 am

Vanifae wrote:I don't understand you people.

All you do is complain.

Complain about looks, or lack there of. Or feet, or hips or ankles or whatever spot on the human body gets you horny.

Then some of you complain about others complaining.

It's madness.

Just appreciate a good set of tits, ass, ankle, penis, chest, face, etc... whatever you are into and be done with it.

Also if a picture is on the internet and you get butt hurt because someone makes fun of it, then don't put your pictures on the internet.

Also my girlfriend is hot.

i agree with vanifae! he is teh smrt
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:34 am

Vanifae wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:btw mew, at the risk of sounding redundant, your friend is exceptionally hot <3

P.S. that is to say you are both hot but I definitely have seen pictures of you before this thread and not her <3

She has a sister too with killer CBH.

/me tries for a twofer

pics or it didn't happen?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Vanifae wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:btw mew, at the risk of sounding redundant, your friend is exceptionally hot <3

P.S. that is to say you are both hot but I definitely have seen pictures of you before this thread and not her <3

/me tries for a twofer

Now you're just being greedy.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 am

:/
Sabindeus

Postby mew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Vanifae wrote:

/me tries for a twofer

There are pics of her up on these forums somewhere. She doesn't let me take as many pictures of her (the kind that hides or covers her face when I am taking a picture). I honestly don't think I have a full body picture of her and I have known her for just as long.
ImageImage
mew

Postby duruk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:33 am

Talderas wrote:Simple solution. Don't have kids, or marry someone who already has them past potty training age. :mrgreen:

I did. And then we got a big, drooly dog. Furtunately the wet spots on the floor are just water :)
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Joanadark » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:44 am

Also I need to send you that avatar properly, don't like your current one -.-

It was the first picture I found in a random google image search that I sorta liked. /shrug.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby mew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 am

duruk wrote:
Talderas wrote:Simple solution. Don't have kids, or marry someone who already has them past potty training age. :mrgreen:

I did. And then we got a big, drooly dog. Furtunately the wet spots on the floor are just water :)

If I wasn't allergic I would probably have a dog, I've always wanted a doberman :( What kind of dog do you have?

Edit: I need to find and revive the "Post your puppies" thread.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 am

mew wrote:
duruk wrote:

If I wasn't allergic I would probably have a dog, I've always wanted a doberman :( What kind of dog do you have?

Edit: I need to find and revive the "Post your puppies" thread.

<3 my doberman
Belloc

Postby Talderas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 am

mew wrote:If I wasn't allergic I would probably have a dog, I've always wanted a doberman :(

I want a Siberian Husky or a German Shepherd Dog. :(
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Joanadark » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:25 pm

This thread delivers.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby mew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Joanadark wrote:This thread delivers.

I am quite proud of its accomplishments.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Arcand » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:08 pm

duruk wrote:

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. :)
Arcand

Postby fafhrd » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:10 pm

God damn post your puppies thread again. Those are NOT what I think of when I read about posting your puppies.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum